Singapore Expats Forum

off-cycle internship - what does it mean?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

KotMot

off-cycle internship - what does it mean?

Postby KotMot » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:44 pm

off-cycle internship - I have never heard about such type of internship.
What does it mean? Does it mean that I may combine my full-time work with internship in other company? If not, how we call such types of internship where you may combine.

Thanks.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 1:21 pm

It means that while doing this kind of internship, you have to get off your bicycle. Most internships fall under this category.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 1:50 pm

[-X :devil: :lol:

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Re: off-cycle internship - what does it mean?

Postby intellectualsmuse » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 2:19 pm

KotMot wrote:off-cycle internship - I have never heard about such type of internship.
What does it mean? Does it mean that I may combine my full-time work with internship in other company? If not, how we call such types of internship where you may combine.

Thanks.

Most internships are "Summer Internships" offered typically between Mar-June or latest July to coincide with the break in the academic cycle. We also used to have "Off peak" internships which they called "Winter projects" but this entailed that you would miss some classes and required you to obtain permission from the Dean. I believe "off cycle internships" are more long term and are open all year round.

I don't know of any organisations which allow their full time employees to work elsewhere, the only exception being if the other internship was part of coursework (for instance if you were pursuing a part time MBA). But even that is rare.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.