Singapore Expats Forum

Decaf Coffee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Decaf Coffee

Postby Splatted » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:38 am

I was wondering whether anyone has tried this, and which brands are available in Singapore. Only recommend a brand that you have tried first hand and know it actually tastes OK.

My father-in-law has had a heart-attack and is in hospital. The nurse there says he can drink regular coffee, which is total BS. It's obvious to me she is clueless. She may as well have recommended continue smoking as well, with that sort of advice.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 6:08 am

Decaffeinated coffee? Yes, I've 'tried' it. Sheesh, Splatted you make it sound like some kind of rare, exotic variant. Go to a good coffee shop, grap a bag of beans and ask them to grind according to the type of coffee maker you have. Then you can mix it in 1/2 and 1/2 with high test. If you start with high quality beans, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Oh, Sorry, recommended brands:

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Hediard's, Jones the Grocer, Pacific Coffee Company, Starbucks, Illy, Dean & Deluca, Coffee Club, Burke's, Spinelli, Pacific, etc...

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 9:07 am

road.not.taken wrote:Decaffeinated coffee? Yes, I've 'tried' it. Sheesh, Splatted you make it sound like some kind of rare, exotic variant.


God, no,... decaf coffee usually tastes like dish water.

No, I'm just not familiar with what is available in Singapore, and even less familiar with what actually tastes ok.

I'm actually needing instant coffee rather than the type that requires grinding. No espresso machine ready on hand at Tan Tock Seng.

User avatar
gravida
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat, 31 Oct 2009

Postby gravida » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 9:10 am

Well, it does taste slightly different than a regular coffee, but in my opinion it is still OK, however my husband doesn't like it. I've used several types, recently Boncafe from Cold Storage.

BTW, it may be recommended to quit regular coffee for a while after the attack, but it is not necessary later on. My father got a heart attack followed by by-pass surgery and he is drinking regular coffee, still fine 10 years after the incident.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 9:21 am

gravida wrote:Well, it does taste slightly different than a regular coffee, but in my opinion it is still OK, however my husband doesn't like it. I've used several types, recently Boncafe from Cold Storage.

BTW, it may be recommended to quit regular coffee for a while after the attack, but it is not necessary later on. My father got a heart attack followed by by-pass surgery and he is drinking regular coffee, still fine 10 years after the incident.


Thanks. We'll give boncafe a try.

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:05 pm

Don't the stores stock Nestle decaf? Never noticed the difference

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:22 pm

Splatted wrote:
road.not.taken wrote:Decaffeinated coffee? Yes, I've 'tried' it. Sheesh, Splatted you make it sound like some kind of rare, exotic variant.


God, no,... decaf coffee usually tastes like dish water.

No, I'm just not familiar with what is available in Singapore, and even less familiar with what actually tastes ok.

I'm actually needing instant coffee rather than the type that requires grinding. No espresso machine ready on hand at Tan Tock Seng.


Actually I was tasting health coffee at the food exhibition, I'll try and find the business card in a moment. The coffee is decaf and also mixed with herbs, its made in Malaysia. Normal coffee may give involuntary artery spasms and if the artery is narrow will result in heart attack. I'll dig the card out! Back in a mo Sorry the card is not helpful its a agricultural government website in Malay.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue, 12 Jun 2007

Postby cbavasi » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 4:56 pm

My husband has heart problems and has been drinking Decaf Boncafe for the past couple of years. He hasn't complained and he was a hardcore full caf-coffee drinker. You can find it at any supermarket.

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 6:16 am

Splatted wrote:
road.not.taken wrote:Decaffeinated coffee? Yes, I've 'tried' it. Sheesh, Splatted you make it sound like some kind of rare, exotic variant.


God, no,... decaf coffee usually tastes like dish water.

No, I'm just not familiar with what is available in Singapore, and even less familiar with what actually tastes ok.

I'm actually needing instant coffee rather than the type that requires grinding. No espresso machine ready on hand at Tan Tock Seng.


I think you just had bad decaf then. When done right, there should be virtually no discernable difference. If it tasted watery, someone just made weak coffee, the fact that it was decaf was incidental.

I have a bit of experience with coffee, so here goes~

The closer your cup can get to the roasting process, the better. Hard to do here, but not impossible. But hard enough to skip to:

The closer you can get to grinding the better. This you can get readily available in Singapore. Fresh ground coffee is better coffee.

Espresso machine? No need. An electric kettle and a little french press, you've got yourself a fine cup of Joe.

Camping, boating, hiking, - never had to give up good coffee.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 2:04 pm

ksl wrote:Actually I was tasting health coffee at the food exhibition, I'll try and find the business card in a moment. The coffee is decaf and also mixed with herbs, its made in Malaysia. Normal coffee may give involuntary artery spasms and if the artery is narrow will result in heart attack. I'll dig the card out! Back in a mo Sorry the card is not helpful its a agricultural government website in Malay.


Thanks anyway. Actually, I ended up buying Nescafe decaf. Needed something more urgent, and had to be instant coffee. Saw the boncafe decaf at cold storage as well, but I wasn't sure whether it was instant or not, and I didn't want to risk it.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 2:08 pm

road.not.taken wrote:I think you just had bad decaf then. When done right, there should be virtually no discernable difference. If it tasted watery, someone just made weak coffee, the fact that it was decaf was incidental.


The 'coffee' I tried was in Australia and it was called Caro or something similar. I am not even sure if it can even be classified as real coffee as I think it's produced from Carob beans.

Tastes disgusting... to me..

User avatar
gravida
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat, 31 Oct 2009

Postby gravida » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 2:10 pm

Boncafe is not instant, so if you were looking for instant one, Nescafe is the only option, I think.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9157
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 3:18 pm

gravida wrote:Boncafe is not instant, so if you were looking for instant one, Nescafe is the only option, I think.

Actually they have instant Boncafe (or they claim so)
https://www.coldstorage.com.sg/onlinesh ... arch=decaf


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Decaf tea
    by Steve1960 » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 4:43 pm » in General Discussions
    22
    6278
    by Travailes View the latest post
    Mon, 28 Oct 2013 9:47 pm
  • Looking for meal, movie, pubbing or coffee buddies
    by yogaloungeforever » Sun, 23 Sep 2012 3:20 pm » in 40s' Club
    29
    16696
    by shals73 View the latest post
    Tue, 12 Nov 2013 12:32 am
  • Mom of 18month old boy, coffee/playdate anyone?
    by SunshineSheens » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 4:30 am » in Moms-to-be & Moms Group
    0
    3691
    by SunshineSheens View the latest post
    Fri, 28 Sep 2012 4:30 am
  • Anyone want to watch Looper + coffee?
    by KyleT » Sat, 06 Oct 2012 9:22 pm » in 20's Club
    11
    3471
    by Akimbo View the latest post
    Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:08 pm
  • Movie + coffee?
    by KyleT » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 6:30 pm » in 30's Club
    12
    4094
    by Akimbo View the latest post
    Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:34 pm

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests