Singapore Expats Forum

Decaf Coffee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Decaf Coffee

Postby Splatted » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:38 am

I was wondering whether anyone has tried this, and which brands are available in Singapore. Only recommend a brand that you have tried first hand and know it actually tastes OK.

My father-in-law has had a heart-attack and is in hospital. The nurse there says he can drink regular coffee, which is total BS. It's obvious to me she is clueless. She may as well have recommended continue smoking as well, with that sort of advice.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 6:08 am

Decaffeinated coffee? Yes, I've 'tried' it. Sheesh, Splatted you make it sound like some kind of rare, exotic variant. Go to a good coffee shop, grap a bag of beans and ask them to grind according to the type of coffee maker you have. Then you can mix it in 1/2 and 1/2 with high test. If you start with high quality beans, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Oh, Sorry, recommended brands:

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Hediard's, Jones the Grocer, Pacific Coffee Company, Starbucks, Illy, Dean & Deluca, Coffee Club, Burke's, Spinelli, Pacific, etc...

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 9:07 am

road.not.taken wrote:Decaffeinated coffee? Yes, I've 'tried' it. Sheesh, Splatted you make it sound like some kind of rare, exotic variant.

God, no,... decaf coffee usually tastes like dish water.

No, I'm just not familiar with what is available in Singapore, and even less familiar with what actually tastes ok.

I'm actually needing instant coffee rather than the type that requires grinding. No espresso machine ready on hand at Tan Tock Seng.

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Postby gravida » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 9:10 am

Well, it does taste slightly different than a regular coffee, but in my opinion it is still OK, however my husband doesn't like it. I've used several types, recently Boncafe from Cold Storage.

BTW, it may be recommended to quit regular coffee for a while after the attack, but it is not necessary later on. My father got a heart attack followed by by-pass surgery and he is drinking regular coffee, still fine 10 years after the incident.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 9:21 am

gravida wrote:Well, it does taste slightly different than a regular coffee, but in my opinion it is still OK, however my husband doesn't like it. I've used several types, recently Boncafe from Cold Storage.

BTW, it may be recommended to quit regular coffee for a while after the attack, but it is not necessary later on. My father got a heart attack followed by by-pass surgery and he is drinking regular coffee, still fine 10 years after the incident.

Thanks. We'll give boncafe a try.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:05 pm

Don't the stores stock Nestle decaf? Never noticed the difference

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:22 pm

Splatted wrote:
road.not.taken wrote:Decaffeinated coffee? Yes, I've 'tried' it. Sheesh, Splatted you make it sound like some kind of rare, exotic variant.

No, I'm just not familiar with what is available in Singapore, and even less familiar with what actually tastes ok.

I'm actually needing instant coffee rather than the type that requires grinding. No espresso machine ready on hand at Tan Tock Seng.

Actually I was tasting health coffee at the food exhibition, I'll try and find the business card in a moment. The coffee is decaf and also mixed with herbs, its made in Malaysia. Normal coffee may give involuntary artery spasms and if the artery is narrow will result in heart attack. I'll dig the card out! Back in a mo Sorry the card is not helpful its a agricultural government website in Malay.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 4:56 pm

My husband has heart problems and has been drinking Decaf Boncafe for the past couple of years. He hasn't complained and he was a hardcore full caf-coffee drinker. You can find it at any supermarket.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 6:16 am

Splatted wrote:

I think you just had bad decaf then. When done right, there should be virtually no discernable difference. If it tasted watery, someone just made weak coffee, the fact that it was decaf was incidental.

I have a bit of experience with coffee, so here goes~

The closer your cup can get to the roasting process, the better. Hard to do here, but not impossible. But hard enough to skip to:

The closer you can get to grinding the better. This you can get readily available in Singapore. Fresh ground coffee is better coffee.

Espresso machine? No need. An electric kettle and a little french press, you've got yourself a fine cup of Joe.

Camping, boating, hiking, - never had to give up good coffee.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 2:04 pm

ksl wrote:Actually I was tasting health coffee at the food exhibition, I'll try and find the business card in a moment. The coffee is decaf and also mixed with herbs, its made in Malaysia. Normal coffee may give involuntary artery spasms and if the artery is narrow will result in heart attack. I'll dig the card out! Back in a mo Sorry the card is not helpful its a agricultural government website in Malay.

Thanks anyway. Actually, I ended up buying Nescafe decaf. Needed something more urgent, and had to be instant coffee. Saw the boncafe decaf at cold storage as well, but I wasn't sure whether it was instant or not, and I didn't want to risk it.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 2:08 pm

road.not.taken wrote:I think you just had bad decaf then. When done right, there should be virtually no discernable difference. If it tasted watery, someone just made weak coffee, the fact that it was decaf was incidental.

The 'coffee' I tried was in Australia and it was called Caro or something similar. I am not even sure if it can even be classified as real coffee as I think it's produced from Carob beans.

Tastes disgusting... to me..

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Postby gravida » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 2:10 pm

Boncafe is not instant, so if you were looking for instant one, Nescafe is the only option, I think.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 3:18 pm

gravida wrote:Boncafe is not instant, so if you were looking for instant one, Nescafe is the only option, I think.

Actually they have instant Boncafe (or they claim so)
https://www.coldstorage.com.sg/onlinesh ... arch=decaf