Singapore Expats

Tenancy Contract Finalization for HDB Possible via SingPass?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 9:38 am
Location: London

Tenancy Contract Finalization for HDB Possible via SingPass?

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 7:46 pm

Hi all,

Finally moved back to Singapore and am starting work again in a few days.
As usual I am running about finding a place to rent out and saw this great place in Outram Park.

Now there is a small issue.

The owners are in London. My agent is co-broking with the landlords agent and I have given my agent the booking deposit cheque (my agent issued me a receipt) along with the Letter of Intent (LoI) . My agent says that the landlords agent will scan the LoI and sent to landlord who will print, sign, scan and sent it back to me.

Then the tenancy contract will be signed by me and approved by the landlord using SingPass. Is this even possible?

I have verified the ownership details of the property using IRA website and checked the taxation details etc. It is owned by three people (Singh's with indian names) and I have written out the account payee cheque in the name of one of the owners.


Am I being taken for a ride and getting ripped off?
What can I do to safeguard my interest? Which official authority can help me with advice?

anneteoh

If u don't hear from them by now, see the police

Post by anneteoh » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 3:52 pm

Sounds to me rather a con. Perhaps I'm not too trustworthy.
Sorry, never expected to hear of this in Singapore. One can never take things for granted. Never give a cheque to anyone on the basis of a future promoise. My advice -
- cancel the cheque at once with your bank.
- look for another place to rent.

Or if it's too late, and it's after two weeks, visit the local police station and give your story. They should be able to find out ht the crook is at least.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 9:38 am
Location: London

Re: If u don't hear from them by now, see the police

Post by FaeLLe » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 12:59 am

anneteoh wrote:Sounds to me rather a con. Perhaps I'm not too trustworthy.
Sorry, never expected to hear of this in Singapore. One can never take things for granted. Never give a cheque to anyone on the basis of a future promoise. My advice -
- cancel the cheque at once with your bank.
- look for another place to rent.

Or if it's too late, and it's after two weeks, visit the local police station and give your story. They should be able to find out ht the crook is at least.
Mm yea issuing a stop order on the cheque and going to ask for it back. Has not been cashed in yet.

What legal implications do I have since I signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) already that the agent has?

anneteoh

Re: If u don't hear from them by now, see the police

Post by anneteoh » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 5:28 am

FaeLLe wrote: Mm yea issuing a stop order on the cheque and going to ask for it back. Has not been cashed in yet.

What legal implications do I have since I signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) already that the agent has?
Sounds okay where money transaction's concerned. It's the delay or perhaps other complications with this landlord you should worry about.
The LOI should clearly stipulate the dates your rent will begin e.g. handing over of keys, moving in etc. incl the tenancy agreement and the terms and conditions.
Might be a good idea to talk it over with the agent first. If it takes too long and gives rise to inconvenience, pull out; but if there's a guarantee it's worth waiting... in short,
- first you need the security factors in place
- then it's a matter of urgency/time and costs etc
- when you're dead certain what's best to do , act on it.
Hmmn I'm acting like a consultant.
Happy outcome!

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 9:38 am
Location: London

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 14 Apr 2010 3:53 pm

Got my cheque back. Acted like I was interested in other properties of his.... in the meantime found a condo using SE Real Estate Agency and signed a two year lease!

Very professional thank you Singapore Expats forum :)

Think the agent was genuine he was trying not to scare me away from the property while he did his arrangements I guess.

anneteoh

Agreed - this forum's indispensable

Post by anneteoh » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 6:28 pm

FaeLLe wrote:Got my cheque back. Acted like I was interested in other properties of his.... in the meantime found a condo using SE Real Estate Agency and signed a two year lease!

--- Great news. Yeah, this forum's rather indispensable; and people here are helpful. If I'd known about this before...
Very professional thank you Singapore Expats forum :)

Think the agent was genuine he was trying not to scare me away from the property while he did his arrangements I guess.

--- Nice to know you're getting to know the locals, but don't get into their heads! lol.
Are you a mind reader?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40461
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Agreed - this forum's indispensable

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 7:01 pm

anneteoh wrote: --- Nice to know you're getting to know the locals, but don't get into their heads! lol.
I dun wanna, but I gotta......

Why not? dog knows that there's plenty of unused space in a lot of 'em! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

anneteoh

Re: Agreed - this forum's indispensable

Post by anneteoh » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 7:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
anneteoh wrote: --- Nice to know you're getting to know the locals, but don't get into their heads! lol.
I dun wanna, but I gotta......

Why not? dog knows that there's plenty of unused space in a lot of 'em! :wink:
---Not everyone's ever so helpful, (albeit in a grumpy way, and sometimes, not too kindly too) like you; but say, is this your help, to mind this forum?
Which group , re the airheads, are you referring to?
I like my mind to be empty. lol

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40461
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 8:42 pm

I could of sworn that the quote in my message answered that question. :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests