Singapore Expats Forum

Wedding Gift List Registry options in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bbbelle

Wedding Gift List Registry options in Singapore

Postby bbbelle » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 3:20 pm

HI. Does anyone know any stores/methods for doing a wedding gift list in Singapore?

As far as I understand the current situation -
Robinsons no longer do this at all (ONLY take payments in person!)
Takashimaya - take payments by FAX only (not v user friendly for family in UK)

I understand its not a Chinese custom but am deciding if theres any option to set a registry list up for my upcoming wedding to avoid a gift list in UK and then having to ship from John Lewis eg to Singapore.
Anyone done this and have an idea of costings for shipment?

Politely asking for cash instead of boxed gifts would be such a headache saver though I fear its not the western way!

punggol_dreams

Postby punggol_dreams » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 6:56 pm

Hi, I have the same issue - British groom, Chinese Singapore bride.

I think we're going to produce a guide to Singapore wedding customs (once I work them all out!) to educate our western guests. We'll include a paragraph on the "Hong Bao" with a subtle line that suggests it is the couple's preference, but of course guests may choose to give a gift.

I suppose it depends on how many western guests there are as to the chances of duplicate wedding gifts.

trudywee

Postby trudywee » Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:27 am

punggol_dreams wrote:Hi, I have the same issue - British groom, Chinese Singapore bride.

I think we're going to produce a guide to Singapore wedding customs (once I work them all out!) to educate our western guests. We'll include a paragraph on the "Hong Bao" with a subtle line that suggests it is the couple's preference, but of course guests may choose to give a gift.

I suppose it depends on how many western guests there are as to the chances of duplicate wedding gifts.

My husband is from UK too and it is hard to "educate" him when it comes to chinese customary.

You can find a list of the stuff that is requested here

http://www.weddingforum.sg/wedding-tips-guide-14/

BumbleBeesBride

Postby BumbleBeesBride » Tue, 15 Feb 2011 7:49 pm

How did you get on bbbelle?

I am in the same situation ie do I create a John Lewis gift list in the UK and ship it to Singapore.. or is there a user friendly gift list in Singapore that I can direct everyone to??

Any help / advice greatly received

Cheers
BBB :)