Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore English, the new lingua franca

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon, 08 Feb 2010

Postby raden888 » Tue, 18 May 2010 3:34 pm

Yeah JR8.....The problem with the red sea /Egyptian resorts is that they're frequented with a lot of Israelis...Okay don't flame me, I'm not Anti-Semetic but a lot of them are either going for or just finished military service so their behaviour is less desirable. !!!

So by next week you'll be sipping German beer :P Life can't be all that bad hey.


Maybe Geerang is just missing his Laksa :lol:

Damm don't you hate typos!!!!!! :mad:
Last edited by raden888 on Wed, 19 May 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 18 May 2010 4:09 pm

raden888 wrote: I'm not anti-Semantic


:lol: That's cute. :lol:
......................................................

'nuff said Image

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Tue, 18 May 2010 8:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Primarily, it is a form of advertisement for the real estate portal who is our host. As their primary goal is the provision of upper end housing (the kinds that expats used to always go for in the days of monster packages) having a expatriate oriented site is good to draw eyeballs to the rest of the site - real estate - which all need. Unfortunately, somebody like our recently departed academic who was again deleted just an hour or so ago in a new thinly disguised nick, 'geerangisback', could well drive the primary target away to other boards here in the region.


Wait a minute. I thought its the numbers, i.e. that you're rated according to the number of fans logging into this Singapore forum/website. That's why I whipped it up a bit to spur this forum on like the dot. Do numbers not count?
No digression here - sounds like the Singapore lingua franca?

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Tue, 18 May 2010 8:37 pm

raden888 wrote:@ Anne...Nyona is a hit and miss with me, love Nyona desserts though not a fan of the main courses.I am a self taught cook...Me mum will be proud that I can dish out both Asian and Western spreads.

I'm assuming you're a Peranakan :wink:


Oh... if you don't mind, I'll keep that discreet, but don't be surprised if I tell you I'm Lemurian. I used to enjoy entertaining. I'm a natural cook. I think cooking need a special ingredient which comes from the aura of the individual. How about that!
You probably have a rainbow aura R888 and you sing when you cook.
I adore anything nyonya esp the pandan leaves, and coconut milk for every dish if that's not too sickening!

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Tue, 18 May 2010 8:50 pm

anneteoh wrote: Do numbers not count?


Numbers are not much use if a large percentage are driven away.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Tue, 18 May 2010 8:53 pm

anneteoh wrote:
raden888 wrote:@ Anne...Nyona is a hit and miss with me, love Nyona desserts though not a fan of the main courses.I am a self taught cook...Me mum will be proud that I can dish out both Asian and Western spreads.

I'm assuming you're a Peranakan :wink:


Oh... if you don't mind, I'll keep that discreet, but don't be surprised if I tell you I'm Lemurian. I used to enjoy entertaining. I'm a natural cook. I think cooking need a special ingredient which comes from the aura of the individual. How about that!
You probably have a rainbow aura R888 and you sing when you cook.
I adore anything nyonya - there're good nyonya restaurants all along Katong and one big one on Penang Rd - all nostaligically nyonya i.e. from 1450s - 1950s.
You've changed the lingua franca - what did they used to say of SG ?- Food Glorious Food.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Tue, 18 May 2010 8:57 pm

Plavt wrote:
anneteoh wrote: Do numbers not count?


Numbers are not much use if a large percentage are driven away.


Well, some might say it's quality that endures.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 19 May 2010 6:04 pm

raden888 wrote:Yeah JR8.....The problem with the red sea /Egyptian resorts is that they're frequented with a lot of Israelis...Okay don't flame me, I'm not Anti-Semetic but a lot of them are either going for or just finished military service so their behaviour is less desirable. !!!

So by next week you'll be sipping German beer :P Life can't be all that bad hey.


Maybe Geerang is just missing his Laksa :lol:

Damm don't you hate typos!!!!!! :mad:


Can't say I've noticed any Jews around the Red Rea apart from Israel of course :)
For places like sharm, the problems are two-fold in my opinion...
- It being marketed as a bulk 'winter sun' destination (no longer just divers)
- It drawing in large numbers of the low end youth travel market, perhaps the most troublesome of whom are the Russians.

I last went last last October. I think that will be my last time.

p.s. this is my 3rd attempt at posting this, hence this version is unusually brief for me :wink:

raden888
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon, 08 Feb 2010

Postby raden888 » Thu, 20 May 2010 12:37 am

Yeah too true...The Russian tourists are the new 'Germans'. I was at this Turkish Aegean Resort, no complains about the place itself but unfortunately when I was visiting the resort was invaded by the Russian horde...You should see the buffet spread after they're done with it :lol:

One of the reasons why I stopped going to places which cater to mass tourism, I dislike crowds so what's the point hey! Make your own home paradise :) There is always the travel channel to take you there.....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 20 May 2010 12:35 pm

raden888 wrote:Yeah too true...The Russian tourists are the new 'Germans'. I was at this Turkish Aegean Resort, no complains about the place itself but unfortunately when I was visiting the resort was invaded by the Russian horde...You should see the buffet spread after they're done with it :lol:

One of the reasons why I stopped going to places which cater to mass tourism, I dislike crowds so what's the point hey! Make your own home paradise :) There is always the travel channel to take you there.....


I hear what you say, their queuing etiquette, and ability to decimate a buffet meal reminds me of another nationality :wink:

What I find more distasteful is their lack of respect for local customs. For example go down to the beach and you'll see a sea of topless Russians. I once recall seeing a chick lying on a sun-lounger with just a g-string on, and a guy on top in his Speedos coming as close to 'barely-clothed sex' as one might get. Do that in any town in any muslim country - apart from Sharm - and you would be locked up I expect.

The egyptians love them though, as they bring loads of money, and spend like crazy on all the tourist tat.

I used to stay in a little hotel with only 20-odd rooms, specifically aimed at divers. It also had two restaurants and a bar so was pretty self-encapsulated. Despite being on the main promenade in Naama Bay you barely needed to step out of the hotel complex if you chose not to.

Agreed re: mass tourism, by the way :)

raden888
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon, 08 Feb 2010

Postby raden888 » Thu, 20 May 2010 6:44 pm

Yea, what you say is so true...Its amazing how some people can have zero sensitivity to local culture and customs and when they get caught, they play the whole innocent victim game like that couple that got caught shagging/kissing on a UAE beach.

This has nothing to do with Islam per se. Generally, all cultures has their own do's and don't's, some just more relaxed than the other.

It irks me when I see people with this I don't give a dammed attitude :mad:


Maybe you could pick up a new past time in DE..Biking aka cycling.. I did a lot of cycling in Europe. Its a good way to see the place and good for the heart too. By doing so you can also afford to indulge in German Beer.

Sorry V. We've hijacked your thread. :lol:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 20 May 2010 6:57 pm

raden888 wrote:Yea, what you say is so true...Its amazing how some people can have zero sensitivity to local culture and customs and when they get caught, they play the whole innocent victim game like that couple that got caught shagging/kissing on a UAE beach.

This has nothing to do with Islam per se. Generally, all cultures has their own do's and don't's, some just more relaxed than the other.

It irks me when I see people with this I don't give a dammed attitude :mad:


Maybe you could pick up a new past time in DE..Biking aka cycling.. I did a lot of cycling in Europe. Its a good way to see the place and good for the heart too. By doing so you can also afford to indulge in German Beer.

Sorry V. We've hijacked your thread. :lol:




Oh, no problem. I'm totally chilled out... (until I get p'd off lol)

I will return to Egypt, but not to Sharm... it is too close and too good diving to Europe to write of Egypt incl the smaller Red Sea resorts....


Hey I also recall speaking to one local travel rep some time ago (she was then head rep for Thompson travel in Sharm), and she said it was amazing that when the charters come into SSH from Russia, there are routinely passengers that have to be stretchered off as they are so whacked they are unable to walk. Maybe that's the thing, it has become partyville, a lot of riff-raff are now going, and the cool-vibe with the locals is now being replaced is hard-nosed, hard-talking interactions. The local Egyptian experience has been debased...

Alessandra_GP
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri, 19 Mar 2010

Postby Alessandra_GP » Thu, 20 May 2010 10:57 pm

KittyJules76 wrote:Dont know where to write so hope dont mind i write here. A friend of mine sister (same country as me) came here to find a job. She got MBA (from our country) and has work experience as HR in one of the big F&B company(owned hotels and restaurant chains) in our country. To cut the story short, this morning I sent an sms to her to cancel our appt tomorrow.

Me: Hi, dont think I can go to movie tomorrow. I am sick but will let you know later whether we can go on Sunday. Take care.

Her: Yes. what time I come you and meet where

Me: :? Dont know coz I am sick. I let u know when I feel better.

Her: Why are you sick? Are you one leave office?

Me: (translation by me: may be she's asking am i on leave) So I reply
I am sick with flu. I have some interview so no choice but have to go to office. Will go and see doctor this afternoon.

Her: Yeah. I am going back to my country on 23rd

Me : .......... :x :???:

Then she called me. I ignore the call, too tired to speak.


:):):) LMAO

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 21 May 2010 8:52 am

raden888 wrote:
Sorry V. We've hijacked your thread. :lol:


Not a problem, can't really remember what it was about initially. Age . . . cursed age
......................................................



'nuff said Image

raden888
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon, 08 Feb 2010

Postby raden888 » Fri, 21 May 2010 4:45 pm

Well JR8 that's normal in tourists cycles..Initially they are welcomed but later the relationship most likely go sour if issues are not managed especially in lieu the disrespect shown to local customs. Familiarity breeds contempt . The only thing stopping the locals from announcing their true feelings is that the tourist are their bread and butter and they gotta feed the Ahmed's and Ali's so have to suck up to the Rouble's!!

I know the Russian psych well, I used to be in hospitality (sales) and had to deal with tour operators etc....Yikes...Those were the days..

V, well luckily there is Viagra :P


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests