Singapore Expats Forum

Preferential treatment for Malaysian citizens in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

iheartsg

Preferential treatment for Malaysian citizens in Singapore

Postby iheartsg » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:53 pm

Not sure whether this belongs here but I'll try my luck. Or if there is a more relevant forum I could post to, feel free to let me know. I'm planning to apply for citizenship in a foreign country (where I am at the moment and have spent most of my life). I currently hold a Malaysian passport but have plans to work in Singapore briefly or permanently if things work out. Before I give up my Malaysian passport, I'll like to know do Malaysian citizens receive any benefits or preferential treatment in Singapore? I don't want to give up Malaysian citizenship if in some way it will enhance my chances to work and live in Singapore. Thanks in advance.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:58 pm

Why would Singapore or any country you are not native to give you or any other Malaysian preferential treatment?

(Although I do wonder about the UK sometimes.)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:03 pm

i know that malaysians have fields on forms just for them. :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:15 pm

Nope. No preferential treatment. Regardless of whether you are a muslim or on of the other races in Malaysia. There is not bumiputra policies here either.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nope. No preferential treatment. Regardless of whether you are a muslim or on of the other races in Malaysia. There is not bumiputra policies here either.

Thank goodness for that!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:15 pm

raden888 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nope. No preferential treatment. Regardless of whether you are a muslim or on of the other races in Malaysia. There is not bumiputra policies here either.

Thank goodness for that!

maybe singapore should bring out a singaputra, just to compete with malaysia? singapore boleh oso, u knoe. :P :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:29 pm

durain wrote:
raden888 wrote:

Thank goodness for that!

maybe singapore should bring out a singaputra, just to compete with malaysia? singapore boleh oso, u knoe. :P :D

I think they have but just haven't put a name on it yet. PRs getting subsidies cut. School fees jacked up higher for foreigners & PRs. Foreign workers being sent home. Sounds like Singaputra to me! :(

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 12:00 am

But I'm sure I have seen some job offers that say

"Singapore Citizens, PR & Malaysian only", so there are some advantages. Can someone give more info about this?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 7:01 am

Individual company preference. Why do companies say English & Mandarin speaker only when they are dealing primarily with English speakers? Cause the marjority or the boss is Chinese but they are not allowed to be racially biased so they use Mandarin Speaking instead, claiming that they do business with Chinese speakers. :roll:

Malaysians are just like Singaporeans for all intents and purposes. However, they are subject to exactly the same foreign worker quotas as any other foreigner. There is not any preferential benefits at all, save it's cheaper to repatriate them.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 7:58 am

Thank goodness for that![/quote]

maybe singapore should bring out a singaputra, just to compete with malaysia? singapore boleh oso, u knoe. :P :D[/quote]

I think they have but just haven't put a name on it yet. PRs getting subsidies cut. School fees jacked up higher for foreigners & PRs. Foreign workers being sent home. Sounds like Singaputra to me! :([/quote]

SINGABUTA OR SINGALUPA OR SINGATUA WILL BE GOOD :lol:

The only think that we did employ M'sian is they understand SGer work ethic, easy comms with either Hokkien, Mandarin,Malay and English all into one sentence :P
And willing to take lower pay for same kind of job where Sger shirk. Maybe not in this market condition but certainly when labour market was tight :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 9:01 am

Up to 3 years ago I would have agreed with you. And when you hired a Malaysian (regardless of race) the were good workers. But in the past two years, I find that they are beginning to be just as worthless as the locals when hired to fill jobs in the lower paid positions in the outdoor services sector.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 10:46 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: I find that they are beginning to be just as worthless as the locals when hired to fill jobs in the lower paid positions in the outdoor services sector.

Nah, this is a universal rule regardless of the country you are in.

Whenever there are roadworks or council works in an area, you will always see 20 guys standing around doing nothing, only one poor sod doing the digging, and one extra guy holding the lollypop directing traffic.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 2:18 pm

Splatted wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: I find that they are beginning to be just as worthless as the locals when hired to fill jobs in the lower paid positions in the outdoor services sector.

Nah, this is a universal rule regardless of the country you are in.

Whenever there are roadworks or council works in an area, you will always see 20 guys standing around doing nothing, only one poor sod doing the digging, and one extra guy holding the lollypop directing traffic.

I CONCUR !!!!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 4:41 pm

Splatted wrote:

I didn't realise this was a thread about Australian Council workers . . .

'nuff said Image

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 4:59 pm

[quote="Vaucluse"

I didn't realise this was a thread about Australian Council workers . . .[/quote]

How many bogans does it take to change a lightbulb? :P