Singapore Expats Forum

My learnings from a Sale in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

My learnings from a Sale in Singapore

Postby intellectualsmuse » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:01 am

1. If the Sale starts at 10 am and you land up at 10.02 am don't be surprised if the place is swarming with people already.

2. Singapore women have no scruples about grabbing the handbag that the Sales guy picked out for you and placed in front of you. So you'd better be quick with your reflexes, else like me you will go home feeling frustrated and mad at yourself for not "reacting" quick enough. Whoever said anything about an "element of surprise" was only speaking from experience.

3. Shoving is "OKAY"-its a contest remember? The woman with the most number of shopping bags wins. And there's extra points for being aggressive.

Hope this helps!
~~~~~
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 6:18 am

:lol: Never get in the way of a woman and her bag! You've summed it up very nicely, IM. At least you'll be better prepared next time. :)
One man's meat is another's poison.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 7:10 am

As an adjunct to that, never get between a man and his Hello Kitty Doll if it's a premium at McD's. Glass doors aren't even a barrier! A doctor no less! And they say Singaporean men are mature? :-|

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_458_2005-01-11.html

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 7:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As an adjunct to that, never get between a man and his Hello Kitty Doll if it's a premium at McD's. Glass doors aren't even a barrier! A doctor no less! And they say Singaporean men are mature? :-|

My brother-in-law still has dozens of these Hello Kitty toys that have been gathering dust on the bookshelf. The plastic box it was packed in has already turned yellowish and warped over time, even though there's no direct sunlight on the toys.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As an adjunct to that, never get between a man and his Hello Kitty Doll if it's a premium at McD's. Glass doors aren't even a barrier! A doctor no less! And they say Singaporean men are mature? :-|

Whatever do you mean? Duh, it's the Hello Kitty Doll for Christsake, so its understandable, doncha know! Even celebrities in tinsel town (Mariah Carey, Lisa Loeb, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tyra Banks Mandy Moore and members of Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani (cell phone case), Jessica Alba (stationery), Selma Blair (hat, scarf and mittens set), Drew Barrymore, to name some) have succumbed to Hello Kitty appeal, so what more, mere mortals! :P

Personally, I don't get it but what can I say? I'm not like everybody else and I'm sure glad that doctor and I aren't related. :lol:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:54 am

Global Citizen wrote:Whatever do you mean? Duh, it's the Hello Kitty Doll for Christsake, so its understandable, doncha know! Even celebrities in tinsel town (Mariah Carey, Lisa Loeb, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tyra Banks Mandy Moore and members of Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani (cell phone case), Jessica Alba (stationery), Selma Blair (hat, scarf and mittens set), Drew Barrymore, to name some) have succumbed to Hello Kitty appeal, so what more, mere mortals! :P

but aren't they all women?

sundaymorningstaple wrote:And they say Singaporean men are mature?

apparently, not singaporean women.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:57 am

two words:

SAMPLE SALE!
Just me

DazzleBabe

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:03 am

nakatago wrote:

Fair point.

nakatago wrote:apparently, not singaporean women.

What are you actually saying? I took it as the men are and the women aren't?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:30 am

Global Citizen wrote:
nakatago wrote:

Fair point.

nakatago wrote:apparently, not singaporean women.

What are you actually saying? I took it as the men are and the women aren't?

My bad; I mean whoever's saying that Singaporean men are mature, it's NOT the Singaporean women.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 1:50 pm

@intellectualsmuse: I don't think the aggressive behavior you saw during a sale in SG is limited to the local women. :) In other countries, women shoppers can be quite fierce during a sale. :lol:

:P :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Postby intellectualsmuse » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 2:39 pm

Splatted wrote:

My brother-in-law still has dozens of these Hello Kitty toys that have been gathering dust on the bookshelf. The plastic box it was packed in has already turned yellowish and warped over time, even though there's no direct sunlight on the toys.

Well, a lot of the appeal lies in the act of buying something and actually "owning" it. And if you manage to wrest it away from the 10 other people that ALSO wanted it, the adrenaline high is even better. Most of the shopping one indulges in is a "feel good" thing anyway. As far as the utility of the stuff one buys goes, I dont think too many people worry about it. For instance if some women have it for handbags, I know some guys who have it for GI Joe toys and Hello Kitty stuff as well! :D

AsianGeekette wrote: "@intellectualsmuse: I don't think the aggressive behavior you saw during a sale in SG is limited to the local women. In other countries, women shoppers can be quite fierce during a sale.

Well, probably, but where I come from, if you land up early enough for a sale you wont find too many people in the first couple of hours atleast, after which it gets crowded. So its worth the effort to go early. That is simply not the case here.
Whatever the case, the next time I'm at a Sale here I'm going to try and be shameless and "grab" "grab "grab" :D (the merchandise on display) :P
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 3:05 pm

Not only Singapore.... This is a famous department store in Spain the first day in the Sale Season. Some customers with potential for next Olympic games (don't know if in Sprint or Wrestling or maybe both)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5rEU_6Tpc

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 4:34 pm

I don't know where you come from - but if no one is there at the opening hour means its not a sale worth waiting for (to quote a certain department store)

I usually avoid sales like the plague. 1) clothes are no longer in season 2) there's bound to be something wrong with it and 3) well, i just can't be bothered to elbow and pull and tug for an item.
Just me

DazzleBabe

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 4:41 pm

dazzlebabe wrote:two words:

SAMPLE SALE!

Doesn't exist in Singapore... unfortunately...

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 4:51 pm

i know... just letting intellectualsmuse know that it happens everywhere. Especially for that Handbag or Shoes....
Just me

DazzleBabe