Singapore Expats Forum

A typical day running errands, for a male trailing spouse :)

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

A typical day running errands, for a male trailing spouse :)

Postby JR8 » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:11 pm

Not really having a whine.... just recounting how it often seems to work out...
[an e-mail to my wife today]
---------------------------------------------------------

'Sorry busy day...

And also a typical singapore day really. Went down to Phillips to repair/replace my broken headphones (the ones we bought on their open day), not coz I need to too really, but something just breaking like that annoys me. Got to the unit they told me in Shaw Centre (@ #1 Scotts), and it was empty being refitted, as are maybe 60%+ of all units in that place!?

<Me>, standing there blinking not knowing what to do. Callled Phillips, all automated with some cina on the recording that I could barely comprehend... stated, go to Toa Payoh. Ok fine.

Coincidentally on that same floor, while wondering around amongst the dereliction, found an amazing hardware store! Really amazing (a veritable sweet shop for a DIY'er!), though expensive. Got the window catches we need to replace, that I could not find in 4 other hardware shops at Balestier yesterdat yay! [now fitted]!

Went and had sausages etc for lunch in Ngee Ann at Swiss/German, nice :-)

Then went to Chubb at Bukhit Kallang, having been sent details/specs/quotes for their range. Made an appointment to go to their 'showroom', and it turned out it was the flipping warehouse, everything in cartons on pallets. Hmm. The two models I specifically wanted to compare, they have neither in stock now, but everything else! Anyway, from what I saw, I know which one to get. They say it should be back in stock within a month (or so). Here's hoping.

Anyway, by then it was raining (and must have been for a while earlier when I was underground at Orchard etc), and the Chubb people looked at me as if I was bonkers intending to walk back to Toa Payoh hehehehe :-) So I got a bus from right in front of Chubb, went to Phillips (@ TP), and .... oh God!!!! .... can you believe, went into Customer Service, queued to be told that I should go to Shaw Centre for headphone repairs! When I told them their unit was already empty, they said 'Ah they are moving, but it was not meant to be until next week'. Well I can tell you the shop is gutted and being actively refitted so they've already been out a while. So now - apparently - I am meant to go to the new repairs location in Bugis.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:21 pm

Sounds like a normal day for Singapore. And yeah, if the Handyman shop on the forth floor of Shaw Centre don't have it, he knows where to get it. At a price. I've been using him for over 20 years now. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:46 pm

Oh yeah SMS, I am a serious DIY'er/(developer), well at least back in the Europe. What a great shop, and what nice knowledgable staff - such a difference from the often Gonks. Yeah I bought some highly obscure golfball E17 bulbs, after a huge search just yesterday, on Balestier for $1.20 ea, and today I see Handyman also have them <shock.... I've looked for these bloody things everywhere> though at $4.50...

It aint cheap but it is a an amazing shop. How can I say, it is not BBQ's and patio heaters and hosepipes, it's a serious DIY shop with a huge range that can also sell you antique welsh miners lamps, Samurai swords, and (very high quality, trust me I know :-)) jewellers loupes [lenses].

If your bird is browsing for half an hour in Isetan go and check it out. I've never seen anything else near it in SG, or anywhere else actually :))

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:13 pm

I wish I was a male trailing spouse. I suppose I have to get a spouse first! :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:52 pm

Genuine chuckle :)

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I still pay for everything. :wink:

It is just her that has the career (me = self-employed) so I am at the beck n call of what they demand.... Local employees don't seem very consultative or forward planners.

They ordain, you do.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 4:45 pm

JR8 wrote: it's a serious DIY shop with Samurai swords,

:???: I am hesitant to ask what you could or would DIY with a samurai sword? :???:

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 6:02 pm

Become single again? :cool:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 6:47 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
JR8 wrote: it's a serious DIY shop with Samurai swords,

:???: I am hesitant to ask what you could or would DIY with a samurai sword? :???:

Yes! As I was attempting to suggest, it is without doubt an eclectic shop!

But honestly the range of DIY stuff laid out so clearly (i,e, not a dark floor-to-ceiling jumble uncle shophouse store) is fantastic. My missus can go nuts in Kate Spade and Coach, but this is MY kinda guy-store :-D

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 9:12 am

raden888 wrote:I wish I was a male trailing spouse. I suppose I have to get a spouse first! :D

Why would you want to be a male trailing spouse? Are you serious? I'm not havinga go at you here I'm just a little interested.....a female colleague of mine has a 'partner-in-tow' and he doesn't like it a bit. He does all the shopping and cleaning etc while she earns the dollars. I'm sure he finds it demeaning and he can't wait until the end of her contract when he'll get back home where there's more chance of jobs for him.
Actually I do often wonder how 'women' feel when they are the unemployed one. I guess if you have kids at home then sure...but many of the expat women don't have kids to think about and they seem quite happy just 'filling in their day' with bookclubs, tennis lessons and the like......mm.....not sure how I'd be at that.....I'm used to independent finances and being needed in the workforce.....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:04 am

Er,raden said it in jest...

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:45 pm

nakatago wrote:Er,raden said it in jest...

Que? You sure? (You reading this Raden? )
I thought he must have liked the idea of not going to work. A colleague in Germany where I'm headed to also has a trailing male spouse.... don't know what he thinks about it. These scenarios are becoming quite common yeah? BTW Raden what's with the apartments in Germany that have no kitchen? Apparently this is commonplace...great oddness....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 1:39 pm

ozchick wrote:
nakatago wrote:Er,raden said it in jest...

Que? You sure? (You reading this Raden? )
I thought he must have liked the idea of not going to work. A colleague in Germany where I'm headed to also has a trailing male spouse.... don't know what he thinks about it. These scenarios are becoming quite common yeah? BTW Raden what's with the apartments in Germany that have no kitchen? Apparently this is commonplace...great oddness....

Yah und how seltsam (strange) is das. Frankly it gives me no ego conflicts at all, yer know just go with the flow.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 1:44 pm

If a guy has a problem with his wife being the big bread-earner, or big career-winner, then I'd say to you, he is a small-dick-Asian full of insecurities.

Rather than taking a broader brush and considering how life might pan out, they take affront that those providing the most are a challenge to their face and dick size

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 2:00 pm

Nakatango is right on cue :D Having said that the idea of not going to work is cool too.. That's why I keep buying the lotto! Does it really matter who earns the most in a committed, loving relationship? I don't think so.What matters is mutual trust and respect. A stay at home mum is as equally important as the working dad or vice versa.

Hey Ozchick, in Germany its quite common to have apartments with a bare kitchen. The only thing available are the wiring etc.Generally, kitchen is owned by the tenant so when the tenant moves so does the kitchen. Hence , make sure when you rent there is a built in kitchen. Hence, look for apartments with HBK (Einbaukueche)

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 3:19 pm

JR8 wrote:If a guy has a problem with his wife being the big bread-earner, or big career-winner, then I'd say to you, he is a small-dick-Asian full of insecurities.

What about a small dick caucasion? Could he be that too?! :wink:

Thanks Raden too. Gonna pm you about this kitchen thing in the next few days.