Singapore Expats Forum

Why no response??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Lynsey

Why no response??

Postby Lynsey » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 9:53 am

Hope that someone can give a little advise.

Have lived here for 9 months and would really like to do some volunteer work. Have done a little so far, but would like to do more.

Have been emailing an organisation i was very interested in - they respnded really positive offering certain positions, i showed interest in several.......then nothing!

Emailed about a week later kindly asking if the positions were still open and that i had not heard anything.......they then went on to offer more which i again showed interest in, and then nothing again - its now been about 2 weeks!

This is not the first time i have experienced this kind of problem. Understanding the situation of the charity they must have more important things to deal with, im just a little frustrated and wondered if any boby had any words of advice..........am i doing something wrong?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:29 am

Visit them direct!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:40 am

Hmm, maybe a bit of personal experience may help.

We initially went through our paediatrician who is also a cocklear (sp?) surgeon who works a lot with deaf children . . . he was more than happy to have extra helpers. He, in turn, suggested our services to other doctors in other fields.

This resulted in us 'babysitting' children while the parents had their support group meetings combined with body painting (the kids loved painting the ang-moh!) and assorted games . . . to having our kids play with children in cancer wards etc...

I would suggest fronting up to these places you have contacted and speaking with them face to face . . . it works wonders. (Much like charity work :) )

'nuff said Image

Lynsey

Postby Lynsey » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:53 am

Thank you

I didnt know if that was the correct way to approach things........they seemed so keen on email and positive about needing help so i felt quiet excited about it.....and then nothing, having chased them twice. I didnt want to send a third email, concearned people are busy!

This is not the first time this has happened after getting my hopes up. I have tried to say could i meet up for coffee etc to discuss rather than back and to with emails, but they did not take me up on this. I just thought their time must be pushed as it is.

Im not the most confident of people but if thats what it takes to try and get involved then i will try again.........i just didnt realise it would be so difficult to try and give my time, given that initail replies/responses are so encouraging.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:59 am

In my experience schools and Companies ask that the kids and staff do so much volunteering hours per year. And although I was lucky I have since seen loads of kids been given the positions to get their quotes complete. Dont dispair someone will reply. I used a website tat SMS has on his list.
Zeenit

Lynsey

Postby Lynsey » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:20 am

Thank you - i have used that website also.

Your info makes me feel a little better though thank you - i will keep trying. I have maybe held out too long withthis particular organisation as it was something close to my heart.

Ill continue to try!!!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:22 pm

Good on you for continuing to try . . . not enough people give their time and effort for something they have nothing to gain from.

Gold star for you: Image

'nuff said Image

Lynsey

Postby Lynsey » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:35 pm

Thank you!!!!

Just hope something turns up though - i feel very fortunate to be in the position i am in and would like to do something productive with my time............will get there!

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 2:11 pm

you can try the children's cancer foundation - they do an orienteering program:
http://www.ccf.org.sg/volunteers/recruiting.html

also check out the red cross home for the disabled:
http://www.redcross.org.sg/volunteer-with-us.phtml

also check with the AWA (american women's association) - they have several volunteer opportunities - i'm sure the other women's groups have similar (British Women's Association, ANZA)