Singapore Expats Forum

CCTV overkill? Toa Payoh

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 3:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:LKY's favourite book in University was George Orwell's 1984? :lol:

The whole island is becoming over CCTV'd primarily due to the so-called JI targeting of the Yishun MRT station several years ago. This country is very paranoid especially as they let a well known JI terrorist escape the country. Not once but twice they let Mat Salamat escape. Guess that's why Malaysia is keeping him under lock and key there and letting Singapore have access to him there. :-|

Start a big rumour! The rock caverns being dug under Kent ridge are being used as a massive data accumulation centre where a dossier of every man, woman & child will be stored from birth to death. You think that they micro manage now? They are heading to "The Truman Show" I think. :o

SMS

Actually there are more than one camouflage hill.
Fear is a key on controlling the public perception.
The barcode and Chip Embedded on the IC , PR Card has all your datas.
Guess what they even control your bank account indirectly since this is a COB(Chip On Board), the sky the limit on the usage
Wait till I inform you on biometric and IRIS. You will be astounded
Paranoia of the worse kind is what the Gahmen is .

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 3:44 am

JR8 wrote:Oh conspiracy theories. The tiring thing with them is that as they have no factual basis, it is impossible to disprove them.

SG police etc. came out of that looking like total losers. Do you think that was a part of the SG plan too?

Malaysia proudly holding him (and not letting him escape), those low down bhumis, was that a part of the SG plan too?

In my experience letting major terrorist prisoners run away, is not 'exactly' standard practise.

My suggestion: Get real man. Occams's Razor suggests the simplest explanation is invariably the right one.

JR8

Obviously there are many things that the public is not aware. Cover and concealment is the word. No, it is not a conspiracy theories. It was a controlled release to capture others. YOu have not been to the ISA security compound. It was massive and tight. I have been there ONLY ONCE but you really do not want to be there any longer than you should.
Just an example, when Chaim Herzog came to town in the 80s, we went across the causeway undercover by sea to protect our pump house at the reservoir in Ulu Tiram and Kota Tinggi just in case someone want to poison the waterway and the treated water that goes back to SG.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 7:50 am

I guess unless you are the decision maker or very close to it you may never know the full story. Controlled release of information likely happens at every rank, not only at the interface with the public.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Postby SGBoyxxx » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:52 am

LOL I knew TS what he means.

Yup I stay at tpy and I was shocked to see that.

well I am not sure why only that side of the exit have so many cams.

whereas another exits seem don;t have so much.

is it due to the church just beside the mrt?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:19 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:is it due to the church just beside the mrt?

talk about not having your priorities straight...

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:57 pm

aster wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Why would a safe country need all this surveillance? Could destroy the tourist and other world image.

As for Selamat, do you guys really think that he escaped? 8-) From the very outset this seemed like a "controlled release," probably to see where he went, who helped him out at every stage, who else is involved, etc. Of course most agencies would never be informed about this, so increased border checks and the ensuing tightening of security would take place anyway. But think about it: guy escapes... twice, gets caught yet again... of course we would never hear about the additional arrests that such an operation would generate.

Yes, yes . . I like the reasoning. Underneath the Schadenfreude exhibited in Malaysia about the escapes there are enough people here thinking the same

'nuff said Image

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 8:14 pm

Are there any other countries in the world that have practised this 'intentional release' of Category AAA prisoners, or is this something that is Uniquely Singapore?

:roll:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 8:24 pm

JR8 wrote:Are there any other countries in the world that have practised this 'intentional release' of Category AAA prisoners, or is this something that is Uniquely Singapore?
l:

+1!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 8:29 pm

Bwahaha...

8-)

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 8:56 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
But, it destroys the perception of Singapore as a safe country.

I thought the police(?) at the airport already destroyed this perception. Every time I see a machinegun I am reminded of the bulls-eye Singapore thinks it has on it's back.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 3:08 am

Splatted

As you landed into SG Airport, you will pass by alot of glasses or mirrors on the walls. Guess what ? WHo is behind on the other side of the wall ??
WHen you clear the immigration and pass thru the custom, they rarely check your luggage. Why ??
Because at the apron it is already being scanned UNLESS the passenger looks suspicious enough to warrant a second check :cool:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 02 Apr 2010 7:21 pm

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:Are there any other countries in the world that have practised this 'intentional release' of Category AAA prisoners, or is this something that is Uniquely Singapore?
l:

+1!

Guess that is self-answering eh. And SG cops are losers?

p.s. Cue some herbert with an elaborate conspiracy theory, v.3.2

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 9:36 am

nakatago wrote:
l:

+1!

Israel , US, UK all do that . They are paranoid but who doesn't, given the state we are living in right now. I remember when I was in US that one of my friends said the Homeland Security use this colour coding from orange to red and so on and changing it ever so often to put fear into the public.
BUT again there are alot of wackos out there.
This phenomenon will never go away after 911

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:43 am

Splatted wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
But, it destroys the perception of Singapore as a safe country.

I thought the police(?) at the airport already destroyed this perception. Every time I see a machinegun I am reminded of the bulls-eye Singapore thinks it has on it's back.

OK, didn't see anyone with machine guns yesterday as I arrived, so maybe they've eased off on this.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:58 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
nakatago wrote:
l:

+1!

Israel , US, UK all do that . They are paranoid but who doesn't, given the state we are living in right now. I remember when I was in US that one of my friends said the Homeland Security use this colour coding from orange to red and so on and changing it ever so often to put fear into the public.
BUT again there are alot of wackos out there.
This phenomenon will never go away after 911

Really? So can you give me an example of when Israel, the US or UK have released a cat AAA prisoner intentionally? (No you can't can you you twit, you're using a 'throw a can of paint at it generalisation').

You know, and perhaps then pasted up 'wanted' pictures of him all over the transport infrastructure for a year before he shows up in a foreign country.

Your comments come over as adolescent. Is everyone else on the topic a teenager?