Singapore Expats Forum

Long term visit pass rejection

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 4:08 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
putnam wrote:My EPEC was approved. Can the ICA send an LTVP to my home country? I might go bank to my country in 20 days. I'm not sure when I'm coming back to Singapore, but I want to come back to Singapore with some appointments for interviews.


They can send you an IPA for an LTSVP by email.
Once you get the IPA you must come to Singapore and go to MOM to issue the LTSVP (usually in 6 months sometimes less depending on what is written on it).

PS note that based on experiences of people here that approved EPEC does not gurantee that ICA will give you an LTSVP.


To Putnam:
Why do you want to complicate matters and do things differently? You have an EPEC, it is valid for one year. Arrive in SG on an SVP and apply for LTVP like others do.

To FaeLLe:
When you talk about an IPA on the LTVP, you are talking about 'activating' your EPEC via online LTVP application from abroad? In which case, from memory, you do have a set period to turn up at ICA with your documents, it might be a couple of weeks, I DNR precisely. Expect the search function here would find anecdotes on it though.

ICA issue the LTVP and not MOM.

LTVP is valid for up to one year, what they give you depends upon the applicant's profile.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Postby FaeLLe » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 4:15 pm

JR8 wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:
putnam wrote:My EPEC was approved. Can the ICA send an LTVP to my home country? I might go bank to my country in 20 days. I'm not sure when I'm coming back to Singapore, but I want to come back to Singapore with some appointments for interviews.


They can send you an IPA for an LTSVP by email.
Once you get the IPA you must come to Singapore and go to MOM to issue the LTSVP (usually in 6 months sometimes less depending on what is written on it).

PS note that based on experiences of people here that approved EPEC does not gurantee that ICA will give you an LTSVP.


To Putnam:
Why do you want to complicate matters and do things differently? You have an EPEC, it is valid for one year. Arrive in SG on an SVP and apply for LTVP like others do.

To FaeLLe:
When you talk about an IPA on the LTVP, you are talking about 'activating' your EPEC via online LTVP application from abroad? In which case, from memory, you do have a set period to turn up at ICA with your documents, it might be a couple of weeks, I DNR precisely. Expect the search function here would find anecdotes on it though.

ICA issue the LTVP and not MOM.

LTVP is valid for up to one year, what they give you depends upon the applicant's profile.


Well I would have thought its better to activate the IPA for LTSVP (through ICA) and travel using that rather than turn up on a SVP and apply for LTSVP.

After all when you apply for SVP it is meant for tourism or business visit (meetings / training etc.) purposes....

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35180
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 4:26 pm


User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 4:43 pm

FaeLLe wrote:Well I would have thought its better to activate the IPA for LTSVP (through ICA) and travel using that rather than turn up on a SVP and apply for LTSVP.

After all when you apply for SVP it is meant for tourism or business visit (meetings / training etc.) purposes....


I see your point, I suppose at the least it means there is no (?) risk of turning up in SG with an EPEC and being denied the LTVP. But I'm not sure in what way one might 'travel on an LTVP-IPA'. You'd still need an SVP surely? Border checkpoints are not going to take your dox and issue you an LTVP on arrival. At most it would seem to give you some strength if ICA at the border are reluctant to issue you an SVP.

In my case I arrived on an SVP, but was travelling quite a lot. So by the time I applied for the LTVP I'd already been in-country on SVP's for 3 months.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Postby FaeLLe » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 4:48 pm

JR8 wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:Well I would have thought its better to activate the IPA for LTSVP (through ICA) and travel using that rather than turn up on a SVP and apply for LTSVP.

After all when you apply for SVP it is meant for tourism or business visit (meetings / training etc.) purposes....


I see your point, I suppose at the least it means there is no (?) risk of turning up in SG with an EPEC and being denied the LTVP. But I'm not sure in what way one might 'travel on an LTVP-IPA'. You'd still need an SVP surely? Border checkpoints are not going to take your dox and issue you an LTVP on arrival. At most it would seem to give you some strength if ICA at the border are reluctant to issue you an SVP.

In my case I arrived on an SVP, but was travelling quite a lot. So by the time I applied for the LTVP I'd already been in-country on SVP's for 3 months.


Atleast all the IPA's i have seen to date (parents, friends etc.) all had a Single Entry Visa in the document.
They can use that document to enter the country...

It states,

This letter contains a pre-approved Single-Journey Entry Visa for entry into Singapore. To use it, the pass holder should produce a copy of this letter to the Duty Officer at the immigration checkpoint. If it is used, a fee will be charged upon extension of the Short Term Visit Pass prior to collection of the pass.

Of course if this clause is not mentioned in IPA then they need a SVP to enter.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 5:15 pm

Ah, I see thanks, makes sense now!

So this would be particularly useful to a national who cannot rely upon a walk-up SVP-on-arrival.

You arrive with the LTVP-IPA, are issued an SVP at the border. Then you have the validity of that SVP (and potentially one e-extension) in which to go to ICA to get the LTVP issued...

Edit to add:
SMS's links sum it all up

lyleong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 08 Sep 2011

Postby lyleong » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 8:59 pm

Hi,

I am an employment pass holder and would like to apply for a Long Term Visit Pass for my mother, who is a housewife.

I have downloaded the form but I am not sure how to fill it up. I should fill up my particulars or my mom's in Part 2 [Applicant's Personal Information] and Part 3 [Applicant's Education/Last Drawn Salary Details]?

The application should be submitted to MOM or ICA as both sites also have Long Term Visit Pass application.

Thanks in advance for your help.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:03 pm

Foreign Talent???

reqinfo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 07 Dec 2011

Postby reqinfo » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 2:50 pm

Calrad wrote:Called up ICA. Didn't make an appointment to see the officer. The lady on the other end told me to send an appeal letter rather than make an appointment. Fingers crossed.



Hi,

Can you please let me know what happened to your appeal. The same thing has happened to my parents and their LT pass is rejected. So the visa extension is also a problem now. We require atleast one more extension to make an alternate arrangement to take care of my baby.

yanoby
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 26 Nov 2006

Postby yanoby » Mon, 09 Apr 2012 11:16 pm

I plan to renew long-term pass of my daughter who will not be in Singapore at the time I apply. When renew long-term pass, does applicant need to be present in Singapore?
Does anyone has any experience on this?

Tks

Yan

AngelaYu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 29 Nov 2013

Postby AngelaYu » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 1:46 pm

Hi, just now I have checked the status of application for my mom's LTVP on the ICA website and found out that it has been rejected.
It's the second rejection for my mom's LTVP.

We are PR since May 2013 and previously we had EP for husband and DP for wife (me) and son.
My mom had LTVP issued for 3 years, she has been here for 1 year only looking for our son, but then we have got PR and had to cancel her LTVP and apply for a new.
The thing is that when you are EP/DP MOM (Ministry on Manpower) issues the LTVP, but when you are PR it's ICA (Immigration and checkpoint Authority), which is completely different institution.

I have visited ICA several times before I submitted appeal after first rejection to find out what could be the reason and what is the best way to appeal. The officer has told me that you can submit online only or submit by post, which is not true. You can submit by counter as well, what I did. The reason I wanted to submit in presence because you can attach the explanation letter. Submitting online there are not so much space for comments.

Our family income is more then 10K SGD per month, but I suspect that the reason could be that my personal Income (as a daughter), which is much less then my husband's is not enough to sponsor my mom.

I'm very upset with a decision and definitely will appeal again.

Hope for the best and good luck!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:22 pm

AngelaYu wrote:Hi, just now I have checked the status of application for my mom's LTVP on the ICA website and found out that it has been rejected.
It's the second rejection for my mom's LTVP.

We are PR since May 2013 and previously we had EP for husband and DP for wife (me) and son.
My mom had LTVP issued for 3 years, she has been here for 1 year only looking for our son, but then we have got PR and had to cancel her LTVP and apply for a new.
The thing is that when you are EP/DP MOM (Ministry on Manpower) issues the LTVP, but when you are PR it's ICA (Immigration and checkpoint Authority), which is completely different institution.

I have visited ICA several times before I submitted appeal after first rejection to find out what could be the reason and what is the best way to appeal. The officer has told me that you can submit online only or submit by post, which is not true. You can submit by counter as well, what I did. The reason I wanted to submit in presence because you can attach the explanation letter. Submitting online there are not so much space for comments.

Our family income is more then 10K SGD per month, but I suspect that the reason could be that my personal Income (as a daughter), which is much less then my husband's is not enough to sponsor my mom.

I'm very upset with a decision and definitely will appeal again.

Hope for the best and good luck!


Since she is your mother, it would be you sponsoring her, I think. In that case, it is also your income that counts, not your husband's. Silly, I know.

I hope you earn more than $4k, otherwise it's probably hopeless.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35180
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 3:17 pm

I believe, what may be happening is the two ministries have different agendas which don't often dovetail. Under MOM and EP, they wanted the expertise that was being brought to Singapore, therefore they are willing to do the little bit extra to ensure they succeeded.

However, taking up PR means that you are requesting to STAY here. This is the opposite of MOM view of you being here on a temporary nature, e.g., EP.

As as PR you now contribute to the expense loading of the government instead of the employer. Therefore, it is in their interest to stop overloading of possible subsidies they may have to incur by letting you bring over the elderly, of which they have too many of already. Bringing elderly to Singapore does absolutely nothing for the local economy as they don't contribute to GDP, Income Taxes higher TFR, etc., therefore they are not so inclined to easily give out LTVP for in-laws, especially if the PR was primarily based on the other spouse's income. I may well be wrong, but if I can see it, I'm sure they can as well.

calmj
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 21 Apr 2014

Postby calmj » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 1:02 pm

Hope this thread is still active and need some advice.

I am PR and my wife is a citizen. She is pregnant now and i want to apply the LTVP for my mum to come over and take care of her and also my child is born.

My first application is rejected and i appealled also get rejected.

So what is a solid reason to give to ICA so they will aprrove my application?

THanks

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35180
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Apr 2014 1:23 pm

Where are you from? How long have you been married? What are you ages? Are your wife's parents still alive? Too little data.

I would hazard a guess that as the wife is the Singapore Citizen, you would have a difficult time convincing ICA that you have to bring YOUR mother over here as the Spouse's mother is already here to help take care of the child.

If you are either from the Subcontinent or from PRC originally, it will be doubly hard to get an LTVP for her. I don't think you are going to be able to find a "solid reason" as I don't see one, on the surface of it. Were you a PR via the PTS scheme before you got married? Or is your PR by virtue of the Family Ties method of gaining PR and recently obtained after your marriage?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests