Singapore Expats Forum

EPEC Application - Wait/Decision Period

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pmaloo

EPEC Application - Wait/Decision Period

Postby pmaloo » Sat, 27 Mar 2010 6:39 am

Hello!

I have recently applied for EPEC on March 22. The EPEC submission confirmation email noted that I should receive a reply within 4 business days.

On 23rd, I received request for uploading my educational credentials, passport particulars and skilled migrant visa copies. Upon receiving the email I immediately uploaded the documents as requested, and have not heard since then.

Now I have a couple of questions/concerns:
1) They asked for only the University degree from my education credentials which is my second highest qualification, and not for my CPA certificate which is my highest qualification.

The reason I am concerned is that I had to enter CPA qualification as Professional Certificate (Other) with distance learning and institution as Other (since CPA isn't a program per se but rather professional certification you get after completing the exam). The other closest option was AICPA (Chartered Accountant) but the US AICPA does not award any such degree or certification. In US, CPAs are certified/licensed by their respective state boards so choosing AICPA would be misrepresentation of qualification.

So, I was wondering if this is something on which I should request further clarification so as to ensure that the quality of my qualifications is not discounted. Please advise.

2) I noted in some of the other posts that they want you to upload your transcripts. However, the email I received from them requested a copy of the degree and no mention was made of the transcripts and I just uploaded the degree. Is that something I should ask them about as well?

3) What is the usual processing time? It seems like people have varied experience ranging for a few days to month (when problems arise). Generally, how long should I wait after uploading my documents before contacting them?

EDIT: I should have noted that all my credentials are from US so as not to confuse CPA from other countries.

EDIT: Reformatted

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 9:30 am

Just to give an update as it might be helpful for other people holding US CPA, I supposed I picked the right choice as my EPEC got approved today.

tayyabmail

quick urgent question re h1b EPEC . thanks

Postby tayyabmail » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 4:12 pm

Hi,
I worked in US on H1B. Back in 1998-2001. The status was granted to me, while in US, once I graduated from a University there. I went there on F1.

So, I was given a Form I797A which is a permanent alien record.

After working a few years, I returned back to my home country in 2001.

I have submitted the same I797A as supporting for my H1B. But they are asking me to reload skilled immigrant visa stamp.

Because I did not leave the US while I was on H1, I never needed the H1 stamp. I have other documents of work there, salary and tax certs etc while I was there. But since I never left US, I never needed H1B stamped.

My question is, what should I do. Form I 797A that i submitted is issued by US Immigration Service and is my permanent alien record card.

Anyone with similar experience, or advice. Would much appreciate.

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 4:21 pm

I am sure this confusion can be easily resolved if you explain it to them. I would suggest emailing the same information, and then follow up with them on a call.

tayyabmail

thanks

Postby tayyabmail » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks Pamaloo. Please stay with me a little.

I was hoping it to be a straight forward case.

Anyways, would you mind telling what docs you submitted in support of your h1b. or was this not part of your application?

They say that if I have not submitted the required stamp, my application will be withdrawn in 7 days.

So naturally, I am a bit concerned.

I was hoping that would know that F1 to H1b conversions within the US are covered by form I 797A. Stamping is necessary only if a person leaves and wants to return to US.

Here is what is available on the web "I 797A : Is issued to people ONLY in the usa currently undergoing a change of status (f1-h1, h1-h1, l1-h1 etc). the “A”

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Mon, 18 Oct 2010 9:53 pm

I had the visa stamped because I traveled back and forth at least once every year. So, I submitted the copy of H1B.

I do know about the I797. However, my point was that if you contact them they will understand the issue because it is a straight forward case. I don't see why you will not be able to explain it to someone.

I would suggest sending an email to mom_wpd_epec@mom.gov.sg and then follow up by calling (65) 6438 5122. The number is general MOM number but the operator is very friendly, and will connect you to the right people.

tayyabmail

Ok. Thanks

Postby tayyabmail » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 1:12 am

Thanks so much for getting back so promptly. Many of us go through some anxiety. And such help through forums is very comforting.

I did resubmitted I 797A, with a note on the top of scan itself, explaining the situation and what I 797 implies. And that if more info is needed, it could be provided. etc.

Has been 2 days. Am waiting. hope it will work out.

was just wondering if I should call in follow up. or just hang in.

Thanks again.

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 2:47 am

I would highly recommend emailing and calling. Takes 10 minutes and you create communication log in case complexities arise.

tayyabmail

thanks

Postby tayyabmail » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks pamaloo,

Really appreciate.

I think I will email today, and then follow up with a call in a day. You are right. A communication log may be useful, just in case.

I was just being cautious as to not to over react to their resubmission request.

But I see your point.

Are you in sing now. How long have you been there? How did you find it, compared to the US?

Thanks

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Thu, 21 Oct 2010 9:33 pm

I haven't made the move yet. I will do it in next couple of months. So, I can't really comment on either of your questions.

tayyabmail

problem

Postby tayyabmail » Sat, 23 Oct 2010 1:16 pm

Thanks Pmaloo.

Mine was rejected. The gave a reason. Because I did not submit complete documents for their consideration. They asked me, if I wanted to resubmit, to ensure I have complete documents and mail to them. The same address you had given.

So I shall be mailing.

This is rather confusing for me. Oh well.

I am updating fyi.

Any thoughts and comments, experience sharing would be appreciated.

Cheers

tayyabmail

update

Postby tayyabmail » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:28 pm

I have now emailed them a complete set of all my documents. I compiled all the scans in a word file. And sent both a PDF and a word file. About 30 pages in all.

1 day back.

Am posting my updates for information of others who may find it useful.

They have a very prompt and good service for epec processing.

If you bump into this post, and have somehting to add,please feel free.

take care

tayyabmail

thanks

Postby tayyabmail » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 5:02 pm

Thank you pmaloo for your help. I actually emailed and explained to them.

My EPEC has since been approved. And I am looking forward to the cert in the mail. And also looking at the process for ltvsp.

Thank you so much.

I am also looking to move to sing around the same time. If we could stay in touch. my email is tayyabMail @ gmail.com - drop me a line.

cheers