Singapore Expats

Relocating to Singapore - Health Insurance Recommendation

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Relocating to Singapore - Health Insurance Recommendatio

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 30 Dec 2014 2:05 pm

Wow! 30k is a lot of money. Good you had full coverage. If you had only the shield plan, you would have paid at least 6k out of pocket?

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 30 Dec 2014 2:23 pm

Wd40 wrote:Wow! 30k is a lot of money. Good you had full coverage. If you had only the shield plan, you would have paid at least 6k out of pocket?
I think its $30K because we know we have full coverage, and decided to go private. Otherwise, I think going to a government / restructured hospital might make more sense. I think government / restructured hospital will charge much lesser for the surgery theatre, surgeon fees, nurses, anesthetist doctor, equipments, etc. The room actually looks cheap next to the rest of the things charged.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Tue, 30 Dec 2014 2:50 pm

1. I have an NTUC Health policy. I paid the premium since my local Employer refused. Common here.

2. Slow time treatment means I have time to review my Policy and explore options.

3. Urgent treatment...... well I guess I have to go with the flow and (maybe) pay more/be ripped off !

4. Until the Medical Mafia allow Budget Airlines to enter the profession then we all pay too much.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 30 Dec 2014 3:00 pm

My wife had laparoscopy at MEH some time ago (~10k IIRC) and all was arranged between our insurer (Global Health / AIG) and the hospital. It required some pushing but was possible to arrange for our insurance agent.

garvi

Post by garvi » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 4:02 pm

Girl_Next_Door, you sure did a comprehensive summary of insurance so far. But just a few clarifications.
1. All hospital bills are settled on a reimbursement basis, regardless of private or restructured(public), not just private hospitals.
2. You may still have to pay a portion of the bill(deductible) as an out of pocket expense, even if you go to a restructured hospital, if you do not have an insurance plan that covers for this portion.
3. Generally for women, the 2 main players in Singapore seem to be prudential and Great Eastern. They have plans that are only for women, and some of their plans have discounts and additional benefits only for women.
Cheers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 4:50 pm

garvi wrote:Girl_Next_Door, you sure did a comprehensive summary of insurance so far. But just a few clarifications.
1. All hospital bills are settled on a reimbursement basis, regardless of private or restructured(public), not just private hospitals.

Incorrect

2. You may still have to pay a portion of the bill(deductible) as an out of pocket expense, even if you go to a restructured hospital, if you do not have an insurance plan that covers for this portion.

Isn't obvious for anybody who already uses an insurance?

3. Generally for women, the 2 main players in Singapore seem to be prudential and Great Eastern. They have plans that are only for women, and some of their plans have discounts and additional benefits only for women.
Cheers
And I assume you are completely coincidentally a local agent representing the two mentioned companies.

garvi

Post by garvi » Fri, 23 Jan 2015 9:01 am

x9200, can you show me otherwise that it is not, instead of just saying incorrect? Personal insurance in singapore for hospitalisation is purely on a reimbursement basis. As mentioned you can request for an LOG, but the bill will ultimately still be settled by you first.
If you would like to show evidence otherwise, feel free to. And yes i am in the industry so i do believe i am aware of such things.
Cheers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 23 Jan 2015 9:14 am

garvi wrote:x9200, can you show me otherwise that it is not, instead of just saying incorrect? Personal insurance in singapore for hospitalisation is purely on a reimbursement basis. As mentioned you can request for an LOG, but the bill will ultimately still be settled by you first.
If you would like to show evidence otherwise, feel free to. And yes i am in the industry so i do believe i am aware of such things.
Cheers
Have you read the post immediately proceeding your response to Girl_Next_Door?
The insurer paid directly our bill. Reimbursement means you are paid back. It was clearly not the case. Aparently you are not as good as you think you are. Fortunatelly our agent is and probably for that reason he does not need fishing for clients on expat fora.

garvi

Post by garvi » Fri, 23 Jan 2015 9:36 am

Yes i do know what reimbursement means. And yes i did read what Girl_Next _Door said, and hence i would like to clarify how that is possible. If she could shed more light and which insurer i would gladly want to find out more
Look i'm not going to bother to argue. If you are going to shut anyone down if they question anything then fine
Cheers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 23 Jan 2015 9:53 am

Preceding your response to Girl_Next _Door is my post where I even mentioned my insurer. Not sure what sort of other details you expect.
What you described is the most common practice but as per the example I gave, surely it was not the only possible option and again, it required some agent's work but he managed to do it with no pre-payment of any kind from our side.