Singapore Expats Forum

Best resource for daily weather forcast?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

aster
Manager
Manager

Best resource for daily weather forcast?

Postby aster » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 5:46 pm

Looking for a site that is a good place to check the forecast for the rest of the day. I'm not interested in how good they are with tomorrow's prognosis or next week's outlook.

I merely need a place where I check in the morning and plan out the remainder of the day. Any tips?

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 6:36 pm

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/3hnowcast.aspx

But I don't think you can plan anything in SG when it comes to the weather. The best "planning" you could get is via rain location radar but this one is down right now and will be up only at the end of April.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 7:07 pm

Just look out of the window, that's the most reliable forecast.

The only thing you can be sure of is that "official" temperate as adviced b the government will never be above 35.2 degrees!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 8:11 pm

And it WILL rain. Somewhere on the island. Guaranteed! even if only for 5 minutes in the whole day.

Usually in the bermuda triangle between Jurong east MRT, Clementi Mrt & Bukit Batok MRT! :x

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:02 am

Yeah, don't need a forecaster to advise anything in Singapore. It's the same forecast everyday and i think they only make minor changes so that it appears they actually do something for their money.

Just call it Sunshine & Showers (some Thunderous) with a temperature of 32-Degrees.

After that, pot-luck.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 2:05 pm

That gov link should do, thanks, 3hr and 12hr forecasts are exactly what I was looking for.

I agree that it will virtually always rain, at least somewhere and just for a short while at least. :)

The worst forecasts are the ones on CNN and such, every time I've looked it basically the same, like next three days 29C and rain.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 2:23 pm

I will repeat myself because I think it is (at least was) a really useful link for everyone who wants to go somewhere and has no roof of any sort over her/his head:

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/rain_location.aspx

I used this practically every time I had to travel by motorbike. It simply showed what was going on and allowed quite good prediction what was coming. Hope it will be back to normal by the end of next month..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 2:34 pm

x9200 wrote:I will repeat myself because I think it is (at least was) a really useful link for everyone who wants to go somewhere and has no roof of any sort over her/his head:

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/rain_location.aspx

I used this practically every time I had to travel by motorbike. It simply showed what was going on and allowed quite good prediction what was coming. Hope it will be back to normal by the end of next month..

Yes I also found the radar useful to see what was going on. Hopefully once they have rebuilt them (the radars) the service will be better than before.

It would also be nice if the map would auto-refresh (rather than having to guess when to try manually), and have an option to show animation of the weather systems, so it is not fixed images, but gives a sense of direction/development. We shall see!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 2:45 pm

As fast as most systems move across Singapore, you would almost need a real time satellite view of the region. The Gahmen might frown at that. They were initially very upset (or should I say paranoid) when Google Earth first came up online. Course now, they have embraced it and have just about done the entire island in Street View as well as the 3D building modeling programmes. :o

mulatto
Regular
Regular

Postby mulatto » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 3:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Usually in the bermuda triangle between Jurong east MRT, Clementi Mrt & Bukit Batok MRT! :x

Accurate observation, sms.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 3:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As fast as most systems move across Singapore, you would almost need a real time satellite view of the region. The Gahmen might frown at that. They were initially very upset (or should I say paranoid) when Google Earth first came up online. Course now, they have embraced it and have just about done the entire island in Street View as well as the 3D building modeling programmes. :o

As SG is the apparently <cough> 3rd richest country in the world. Can't it afford to put up a few satellites?

:lol:

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 4:25 pm

JR8 wrote:It would also be nice if the map would auto-refresh (rather than having to guess when to try manually), and have an option to show animation of the weather systems, so it is not fixed images, but gives a sense of direction/development. We shall see!

There was a 2nd interface page to this radar showing a larger circle and perhaps the animation (this I am not sure). I had not bookmarked this one and now when it is down maybe tricky to find.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 4:40 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:It would also be nice if the map would auto-refresh (rather than having to guess when to try manually), and have an option to show animation of the weather systems, so it is not fixed images, but gives a sense of direction/development. We shall see!

There was a 2nd interface page to this radar showing a larger circle and perhaps the animation (this I am not sure). I had not bookmarked this one and now when it is down maybe tricky to find.

Oh, never saw that.

You can get the animation on Weather.com, but that is a radar of the whole of SE Asia so it's difficult to really see and predict local conditions in such a small country as this...

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 6:53 pm

aster wrote:That gov link should do, thanks, 3hr and 12hr forecasts are exactly what I was looking for.

I agree that it will virtually always rain, at least somewhere and just for a short while at least. :)

The worst forecasts are the ones on CNN and such, every time I've looked it basically the same, like next three days 29C and rain.

Yeah what's with that? BBC 's weather forecast for Singapore is incredibly wrong every day.Day after day in the dry months we've just had, they were forecasting rain! And LOTS of it! :shock: Do they just make it up as they go along?! :???: Great oddness......
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 7:03 pm

best lick your finger and stick it up in the air to get your own weather forecast.