Singapore Expats

Exiles from the 'other board'

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 21 May 2010 11:50 am

nakatago wrote:
That'll be f***ing sweet! 8-)
My sarcasm detector just blew up on that one......

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 21 May 2010 12:30 pm

beenthere wrote:
nakatago wrote:
That'll be f***ing sweet! 8-)
My sarcasm detector just blew up on that one......
Mine showed positive optimism , with legs and fingers crossed and maybe crushed nuts :lol:

anneteoh

Re: Exiles

Post by anneteoh » Sat, 22 May 2010 6:56 am

JR8 wrote:Thx for that.

I've been on the web for many a year. Used to spar, (cough) I mean debate, with the PAP-Youth stooges on soc.culture.singapore as long ago as '94 :)

So once I get the particular vibe here, I'm looking forward to settling in and contributing...

Yeah you know the thing with the 'other forum', is the the arrogance and disdain shown to their members. I have never experienced anything like it before.

It is weird. For example their main board is sub-titled inviting 'brick-bats and bouquets'. But if you recommend anything they delete your post. So, ask about a decent hotel to stay in for a few weeks, get 10 answers, and before you can even write them down, poof!, topic deleted. Rec a great company you used to buy an appetiser for Xmas day lunch, poof! topic gone. Totally mad. Today was even madder, the Admins utter upper-case public glee at deleting a subscribers post.

As you can see I am still puzzled and confused, but will breath deeply and try and chill :?
Hi JRB. I haven't got a clue as to what 'the other' forum is, but I've enjoyed reading this thread which is so expansive, it is gobble de gook at first , but one gets the drift of it. I like the way you make your stand for the locals.Well, there was some talk about a sitcom on this forum and I 'd felt for some time that I owed Nath21 a poem, but at the mo, I'd start with a short script...

It's Sunday on the dot so a gathering of expats drop in The Bored Room.(Err, this is not a homophone ) SMS sits at the b'fast table, head buried in his media staple. A newcomer, an adventurer, hey ho, from perhaps Rugby School, stroll in.

SMS: Ah, if you're the one with the romanitc notion of exiling yourself in
this free port, I'm the rational spade for you, dreamer.
JRB : By Jove, that is bric-brac and bacon. How about this (sings) Look at
all the beautiful people, dadadada
Plavt : Listen to your grandpa, son.
Vaucluse : (Looks at the mirror) We're the old boys' club, err, join us
for a round of golf?
KLS : When guys play golf before b'fast is over, they hit the business
pot and muddle through lunch for a square meal. Roast melons.
R888 : Say, chum , you old chap, let's drink to surfboards. These expats,
are, you know, a lot of nerds.
AT : Phew! Smashing bairns, I mean, brains of course, that Geerang
would rather turn a blind eye to. But, hmm... fi fie fo fum...JRB's
cool.
Ozchick : This life show can blast that BBC gobber.
Intell.Muse : Oh, I need to read a good book.
Been there: Anyone for artificial intelligence?
JRB: Say, is he a cyborg businessman?
AT : It's synthetic language, minus biodiversity, add quantum.
R888: YES! Boleh lah JRB, we go snorkelling and see what the Arabs are
up to.
All: Ahem... we're really nice guys under the hot sun, but above the
equator.
They scatter to the Malls, evangelical at turning the garden city greener than it looks. They need to look for Nath 21. Then, what would they be up to next?
JRB : Auf wiedersehen you guys, Germany's billions injected, the
aftermath of Greece, but will the stock market keep sliding? I'll fly
you a kite... lah!

A bit of entertainment. Hope you'll LOL lah.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Sat, 22 May 2010 7:43 am

PP

LOL can, lah! <- does that work?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 22 May 2010 1:27 pm

:D

Mad as a hatter!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 22 May 2010 1:29 pm

well here's one i hope they get. how come they use headlines as long as a sentence..and other countries as major headlines.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Exiles

Post by Plavt » Sat, 22 May 2010 2:28 pm

anneteoh wrote: Plavt : Listen to your grandpa, son.
(Wonder who he was?)

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sat, 22 May 2010 2:58 pm

morenangpinay wrote:well here's one i hope they get. how come they use headlines as long as a sentence..and other countries as major headlines.
They, the unknown, are long winded with tunnel visions caught inthe eye maze, desperately waving flags. They might get a lot of air.
Last edited by anneteoh on Sat, 22 May 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sat, 22 May 2010 3:47 pm

beenthere wrote:PP

LOL can, lah! <- does that work?

I needed a coffee for this! If you believe laughter's the best medicine, yes, fire up the crackers!
It can be developed lah; but you need the Singapore jargon - strive, passion and commitment.
Any expats interested in forming sit a com drama society or culture club?
I mean, what's life without creative energy as its driving force?

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Sun, 23 May 2010 3:02 pm

beenthere wrote:
nakatago wrote:
beenthere wrote:^^ Heh. That's my area of expertise. No, not generating sarcasm but Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. One of the stuff we have been working on has been sentiment analysis - trying to determine whether references to a product mention on the web is positive or negative.
Wow, that's some nerdgasmic stuff right there. Can you also detect stuff that's not really sarcastic but stuff put up for kicks? You know, like what people did to this and this.
\

:)

Once we refine our algorithms ... I will give you first dibs on stock options before we IPO.
@beenthere:

That's interesting stuff. So your work only deals with the English language?

I sort of imagine having Data (the android from Star Trek: TNG) going through a lot of written materials and analyzing each statement and categorizing whether it's irony or sarcasm.

It used to be just expert systems, now it's AI. We're at the early stage of having enough computational power in order to run algorithms which can analyze the written statements against certain rule sets.

Let me know what's the stock options for your start-up company. :P
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 23 May 2010 3:11 pm

well, I, for one, welcome our artificially-intelligent, data-based, skynet-connected overlords.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Sun, 23 May 2010 3:44 pm

nakatago wrote:well, I, for one, welcome our artificially-intelligent, data-based, skynet-connected overlords.
Detected: gender-biased terminology.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Sun, 23 May 2010 11:23 pm

@Asian_Geekette

- Yes, our focus is on English language texts. Bur much of these text-analytics algorithms are based on statistics and probabilities and could be used to build similar systems on other language. As long as these languages have a grammar and large collections of texts to run analyses - the adaptation would be a few PhD theses away.

@AnneTeoh - These days overlord is gender-neutral; over to you lady.

@nakatago - you shall one day be part of the matrix.
Last edited by beenthere on Mon, 24 May 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 24 May 2010 12:45 am

anneteoh wrote:
nakatago wrote:well, I, for one, welcome our artificially-intelligent, data-based, skynet-connected overlords.
Detected: gender-biased terminology.
kent brockman.

S'all. :wink:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 24 May 2010 4:18 pm

beenthere wrote:@Asian_Geekette

- Yes, our focus is on English language texts. Bur much of these text-analytics algorithms are based on statistics and probabilities and could be used to build similar systems on other language. As long as these languages have a grammar and large collections of texts to run analyses - the adaptation would be a few PhD theses away.

@AnneTeoh - These days overlord is gender-neutral; over to you lady.

@nakatago - you shall one day be part of the matrix.
Cheers, beenthere, though some feminist linguists will argue that gender bias runs deep in the structure of our language, positioning females as always, inferior to men; or simply overruling them.

Grammar is easiest to mechanise though there are grey areas too. But hey, how about this - Green sleep dreams furiously ( Noam Chomsky)?

There're many important areas that AI will find diff. to access e.g. accent, stress, semantics , intentions and as mentioned elsewhere, cross-cultural pragmatics.

Recently, the police in the UK were able to decode some terrorists' email texts, where party was meant to be mass destruction of the enemies and nikah, or wedding ceremony meant as detonating the bomb. This timely interference saved many innocent lives. There ought to be more research
and work in this electronic language area.

Sorry, what thread's this. Seems like we're all over the place, beenthere.