Singapore Expats

Exiles from the 'other board'

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 2:42 pm

Well, we're all one, big--no--make that very big, happy--albeit highly dysfunctional--family here.

You're welcome to pitch to a major television network an ensemble cast sitcom based on the regulars here alone.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 3:55 pm

Now THAT would be a Sitcom that would be hard to beat! :cool:

Mind your Language wouldn't be able to hold a candle to us! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 21 May 2010 9:36 am

As I research prior to my arrival here, I too have gandered over to the OTHER FORUM.

I see the light.

I think I will ensconce myself in this forum.

I do have a question though - why must IT that must not be named persona non grata in this forum. By this I mean that to be unnamed publishing house.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 21 May 2010 9:45 am

beenthere wrote:As I research prior to my arrival here, I too have gandered over to the OTHER FORUM.

I see the light.

I think I will ensconce myself in this forum.

I do have a question though - why must IT that must not be named persona non grata in this forum. By this I mean that to be unnamed publishing house.
Lawsuits. Lord Voldemort does not take kindly to linking and fair use.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 May 2010 9:52 am

Unfortunately, there was a post by one of our members some time back who managed to slur the local birdcage liner (and was not picked up by the Mods) and they somehow took offense and sent a nasty cease & desist letter via their legal representatives to our hosts. Therefore the system is now programmed to automatically delete & replace the text any time that name is mentioned. This also goes for any and all subsidiaries of said parent company. Sucks, but what to do? :?

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic45505.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 21 May 2010 9:59 am

Well, in the New Straits Times today, the one with quality journalism that isn't immediately used to wipe one's arse . . . there are quite a few interesting articles.

can we, SMS, poke the other one with sticks and throw rotten fruit?

'nuff said Image

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 21 May 2010 10:08 am

Got it all. Thanks.

Vaucluse - do you get the one from across the causeway in Singapore? I had read somewhere that the Singapore version is not sold in Malaysia and vice-versa.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 21 May 2010 10:08 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Therefore the system is now programmed to automatically delete & replace the text any time that name is mentioned.
wow, i didn't realize you actually have a dedicated script just for that.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 21 May 2010 10:10 am

nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Therefore the system is now programmed to automatically delete & replace the text any time that name is mentioned.
wow, i didn't realize you actually have a dedicated script just for that.
Must be a smart script.

It didn't delete the "S T" part from Vaucluse's post above.

If the script worked, you might have seen

"Well, in the New Straits Times today, the one with quality journalism that isn't immediately used to wipe one's arse ."

to

"Well, in the New ^&%^% #$#$# today, the one with quality journalism that isn't immediately used to wipe one's arse ."

Unless mods have special dispensation.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 May 2010 10:44 am

As I'm not a programmer I really don't know the script but I would imagine that it's got an editable list of URLs, to search for matches before it inserts that bit that we see. Normally typing the name will catch it as well. However, there are times that it doesn't catch it due to spacing and/or typing flourishes. That's when we come in and edit with things like "the local birdcage liner" or other highly suitable and apt descriptions of said broadsheet. The funny thing is, they (their journos) still seed this board with questions regularly for attitudes on certain topics. They're pretty easy to spot as they post a question or statement and never post again, just letting the members run with it.

But you guys can make our lives difficult (the Mods), having to clean up behind you, when on your Friday rolls and "testing" how far you can go. Go too far, and we miss it, and we get shut down and then you all have to go back to the AB! :-|
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 21 May 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 21 May 2010 10:52 am

I'll be impressed if they ran a script that detected sarcasm, like so: http://www.popsci.com/technology/articl ... soooo-cool

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 21 May 2010 11:04 am

^^ Heh. That's my area of expertise. No, not generating sarcasm but Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. One of the stuff we have been working on has been sentiment analysis - trying to determine whether references to a product mention on the web is positive or negative.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 21 May 2010 11:15 am

beenthere wrote:^^ Heh. That's my area of expertise. No, not generating sarcasm but Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. One of the stuff we have been working on has been sentiment analysis - trying to determine whether references to a product mention on the web is positive or negative.
Wow, that's some nerdgasmic stuff right there. Can you also detect stuff that's not really sarcastic but stuff put up for kicks? You know, like what people did to this and this.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Fri, 21 May 2010 11:22 am

nakatago wrote:
beenthere wrote:^^ Heh. That's my area of expertise. No, not generating sarcasm but Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. One of the stuff we have been working on has been sentiment analysis - trying to determine whether references to a product mention on the web is positive or negative.
Wow, that's some nerdgasmic stuff right there. Can you also detect stuff that's not really sarcastic but stuff put up for kicks? You know, like what people did to this and this.
\

:)

Once we refine our algorithms ... I will give you first dibs on stock options before we IPO.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 21 May 2010 11:30 am

beenthere wrote:
nakatago wrote:
\

:)

Once we refine our algorithms ... I will give you first dibs on stock options before we IPO.
That'll be f***ing sweet! 8-)