Singapore Expats Forum

South African wine tasting

Weekly meetup of WNDC - Wednesday Night Drinking Club

Is South African wines better than Australian wines in general?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10

wineman

South African wine tasting

Postby wineman » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:13 pm

Hi folks, would like to start a new chat topic on South African wines ... since the World Cup 2010 is coming.

There are many wine estates in South Africa... one of which is in Western Cape region. Unfortunately there are not many wine imports of South African wines to Singapore.

Would like you folks to share your last wine tasting experience..

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:12 pm

tic....toc....tic....toc....

:devil:

Totem

Postby Totem » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 9:21 am

JosieQ

South African Wine Tasting

Postby JosieQ » Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:51 am

Hi Wineman

Got back from a trip to Cape Town this Jan. Klein Constantia stands out as one of the best especially if you can get hold of a bottle of Vin de Constance.

wineman

Postby wineman » Fri, 02 Apr 2010 1:30 pm

Hi JosieQ

thanks for sharing. I found below the wine note from www.wine.co.za website.
The vintage 2000 bottle seems to be good.

I noticed that SA wines are normally with high alcohol content - 14% wow!

Klein Constantia Vin de Constance 2000

Winemaker : Adam Mason
Main Variety : Muscat de Frontignan
Alcohol : 14.1 %vol

characteristics
Type : Dessert
WOODED

tasting notes
John Platter 2006 - 5 Stars
Richly viscous in the glass, with a burnt orange-gold hue, this wine exhibits youthfully fresh, floral muscat aromas, and exotically spicy confectionary flavours on the unctuously textured palate. These rich flavours are well balanced by brisk acidity, and an attractive bitter orange twist on the clean, persistent finish.

accolades
John Platter 2006 - 5 Stars
Featured in the French coffee-table book 100 Legendary Wines and one of 44 labels in Les Plus Grand Crus du Monde.
Included among nine wines from the world's "most mythical vineyards" in a French exhibition that opened in Bordeaux in 2000 before touring international centres.
Designated one of 25 Great Vineyards of the world by the American Wine & Spirits Journal.

ageing potential
Drink now or cellar long-term (15-20 years).

blend information
100% Muscat de Frontignan

in the vineyard
These historic vineyards were first planted in the late 1600s as part of the original Constantia estate, whose legendary sweet wines were celebrated in literature by Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and Baudelaire. It was sought after by Napoleon, in his exile, and by the courts of Europe in the 18th and 19th century. Chosen for its soil of decomposed Table Mountain granite, and its cooling sea breezes from both the Atlantic and Indian oceans, these vineyards provide the perfect terroir for premium winegrowing.

in the cellar
Grapes were left to raisin on the vines, and were hand-selected towards the middle of March of this warm vintage. Fermentation of the sticky, concentrated must took place in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks, followed by 18 months of maturation in French oak. The wine was released almost 5 years after harvest.

passionprojex

South African Wine Tasting

Postby passionprojex » Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:45 pm

Hi wineman,
haven't really had the chance to drink much african but I have tried the Meerlust Rubicon and found it rich, complex and heavy on the fruits if I remember correctly. High alcohol content or maybe i drank too much already. I liked it with the Sheery braised ribs we had but to drink alone i still prefer my Pinots or a French. My experience is just not enough to rule it out and happy to give it aother try...suggestions?
Live Life to the fullest!!

wineman

Re: South African Wine Tasting

Postby wineman » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:25 am

passionprojex wrote:Hi wineman,
haven't really had the chance to drink much african but I have tried the Meerlust Rubicon and found it rich, complex and heavy on the fruits if I remember correctly. High alcohol content or maybe i drank too much already. I liked it with the Sheery braised ribs we had but to drink alone i still prefer my Pinots or a French. My experience is just not enough to rule it out and happy to give it aother try...suggestions?

Hi passionprojex,
tried Meerlust Rubicon 2005 before as well in a wine bar in Makati City, Philippines. Deep ruby color and full-body palate. Long aftertaste. Something like Muratie Ronnie Melck. Which vintage did you try? I heard 2001 is top 100 wine in 2006. wow! 8-)
viva vita!

wineman

Postby wineman » Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:38 am

I tried a very good South African wine at the RIB ROOM Restaurant, the Landmark Hotel, Bangkok last week. Not sure if it was a Nederburg or KWV or Du Toitskloof's Cab Sauvignon. Only remember it was a Cab. Drunk 5 bottles with some friends with their signature beef steaks. The restaurant claimed they have the best steak in Bangkok. Was a good pairing.
viva vita!

wineman

Postby wineman » Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:24 am

I just visited Roland Restaurant , somewhere in the heartland of Marine Parade. Surprised to see so many wine labels from South Africa. Was there with my pals after the big food exhibition in Suntec last week!!
On Thurday we tried a Muratie Isabella Chadonnay 2008 (i think.. not sure about the year) ! Fruity and nice aftertaste. Not long. Refreshing and the food !!! WOW !! :shock: the Chilli Crab was fantastic with the Chadonnay. I talked to the restaurant owner....Mr Roland Lim, of course... He told me that his restaurant is the "founder of Chilli Crab" since 1956.... and I thought it was Jumbo Restaurant??? :???:

Not having enough, we visited the same restaurant again the next day. This time, we tried their white pepper crab... White?? I thought Singapore is well-known for black... :???:

Tried with another white wine called Steenberg Sauvignon Blanc. I forgot the year. Color is lighter than Chadonnay. Also Fruity. Easy on the palate. low-medium tanin. Can drink the whole bottle by itself.. haha..hic!

Comment: was surprise that there are some Germans who visited this restaurant the same Thursday as I do.... Prost!
viva vita!