Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporean need work visa to work in Singapore?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sadu08

Singaporean need work visa to work in Singapore?

Postby sadu08 » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 5:07 pm

Hi,

I'm a Singaporean working for an American firm. My company would like to station me in Singapore for 1-2 years.

Anyone know if I would need some kind of work visa/work permit for this? I do not think I have to pay Singapore tax since I still get paid in the US and will be paying US taxes.

Thank you.

manutdfan
Regular
Regular

Postby manutdfan » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 5:49 pm

You need to be very careful with this.

I moved to Singapore a few weeks ago - I contacted the IRS in Singapore and they informed me that despite the fact I would initially be paid in pounds sterling in the UK, I would be liable for Singapore income tax on what I earned here under my EP.

Luckily HMRC agrees that if I pay Singapore tax, I don't need to pay UK tax on the same income so that's okay (and in fact good news, as it means I'll be paying about 10% rather then 40% of the money out in tax, and no National Insurance on top!)

As far as the Singapore IRS is concerned - if you're working in Singapore, earning in Singapore, then you pay tax in Singapore.

It may or may not be the case that the IRS in the US would see you as tax liable - I would have thought as a Singaporean National in Singapore you wouldn't be, but you might want to check with the IRS.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:18 pm

One thin g is very clear: If you work in Singapore and get paid for that (no mater where it is paid), you will have to pay taxes in Singapore.
If you also have to pay taxes in your home country depends on the authorities and rules there.
Many countries have double taxation agreements to avoid situations like yours, where a tax liability in two places might occur. As far as I know, there is none between USA and Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:49 pm

Unfortunately, beppi, that is true! :(

Americans get taxed both here and at home but we do have an Income Earned Abroad exclusion for the first 92K USD on Earned Income only. Investment income or other types of income like interest, rentals, Business profits, etc. are taxed at what ever rate your income would be taxed at if there weren't any exclusion. Kinda sucks (the only other country off the top of my head like that is Indonesia! Kinda says sumtin' don't it!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 9:23 am

manutdfan wrote:You need to be very careful with this.

I moved to Singapore a few weeks ago - I contacted the IRS in Singapore and they informed me that despite the fact I would initially be paid in pounds sterling in the UK, I would be liable for Singapore income tax on what I earned here under my EP.

Luckily HMRC agrees that if I pay Singapore tax, I don't need to pay UK tax on the same income so that's okay (and in fact good news, as it means I'll be paying about 10% rather then 40% of the money out in tax, and no National Insurance on top!)

As far as the Singapore IRS is concerned - if you're working in Singapore, earning in Singapore, then you pay tax in Singapore.

It may or may not be the case that the IRS in the US would see you as tax liable - I would have thought as a Singaporean National in Singapore you wouldn't be, but you might want to check with the IRS.

Mrs S was in the same kind of situation a year ago and she ended up not having to pay either UK or Singapore tax. A very strange situation which only seems to apply to Singaporeans

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Calmday » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 7:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:the only other country off the top of my head like that is Indonesia! Kinda says sumtin' don't it!
Things that make you say hmmm. Didnt a certain somebody spend part of there youth there?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 8:41 pm

And that really makes a lot of people go hmmm. 'bout 50% of a certain country's population in fact! :lol: