noisy neighbors

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
twister_king

Post by twister_king » Tue, 08 May 2012 9:14 am

The only problem then was not so much the noise ....

Twister_king, you have a seemingly short memory.[/quote]

I did not have a short memory that years back we did NOT have so much noise problems compared to now. I can see u agreed too.

I'll be enlightened if u can cite some newspapers report about increased in neighbour dispute 30 years ago....... There isn't because mainly the problem is NOT NOISE. Other neighbour issues were present and more tolerable back then. Try noise....every day, every night for weeks and months!!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 08 May 2012 9:18 am

Fuuuh... I can sense the intense rage in twister king's posts. Poor thing, whatever noise his neighbours make, it certainly broke the camel's back (and sanity).

On an extreme note, if you have a solid case against such inconsiderate neighbours and police seems to be unable to help you, you can actually sue them (if you have a solid case, I reiterate, with evidence like records of their misbehaviour, records of your communications with them, efforts made by your side, responses by them, etc). You may win a sum and even get your lawyer's fees paid off...

Edit: Wrong order in the last sentence: You get your lawyer's fees paid off and even win a sum of money! :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 May 2012 9:37 am

twister_king wrote:The only problem then was not so much the noise ....
sms wrote:Twister_king, you have a seemingly short memory.
I did not have a short memory that years back we did NOT have so much noise problems compared to now. I can see u agreed too.

I'll be enlightened if u can cite some newspapers report about increased in neighbour dispute 30 years ago....... There isn't because mainly the problem is NOT NOISE. Other neighbour issues were present and more tolerable back then. Try noise....every day, every night for weeks and months!!![/quote]

Apparently, besides having a grouse because of your neighbours (and probably rightly so), you also seem to have a reading comprehension problem. Go back are reread my post.
The only problem then was not so much the noise (it was always there, but people were much more tolerant then)
In fact, back then, they actually knew their neighbours and interacted with them instead of walking past them and not even acknowledging they exist like they do today. When I bought my current flat 14 years ago, when I was doing the renovations (I did most myself - where I didn't need a license to do so), The local neighbours got used to the crazy Ang Moh who would always say good morning/afternoon/evening to everybody when he walked through the estate on many trips back & forth to the hardware store. Eventually, they got used to it and started greeting me even if I didn't see them first. Eventually I joined the RC and started interacting even more. I know most of the people in my block personally, regardless of the ethnicity or passports.

Did you ever try to interact with your neighbours before you had a problem? You should try it. It makes ironing out differences a lot easier and for that matter, as "neighbours" one tends to be more mindful of others. Yeah, there are the oddballs, and we have one as well, but we just grin & bear it as the middle aged guy has the mentality of a 12 year old and goes around yelping & howling every night, much to the detriment of all the residents. But we just deal with it.

When the HDB first started building flats, there wasn't any ethnic/racial profiling like there is today, so when the kampongs were first razed after the New Town was built, all went into the New Town so most did already know one another. It wasn't until "migration" or "upgrading" that mixing occurred and the newcomers were treated as "outcasts" or "strangers" and were not invited to mix that the divides started showing up and people started living next door to strangers that they never speak to even though they live right beside each other. Who's fault is that?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 08 May 2012 10:46 am

So is this the 'yang' to the recent ATM thread? :)

Solution: If OP warns waiting foreigners about broken ATMs, then maybe all of those foreigners will make less noise in their HDBs :D

I blame it not just on the full moon, but it being a "super moon":
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47305718/ns ... 6iIvJ8th-M

twister_king

Post by twister_king » Wed, 09 May 2012 12:36 pm

Did you ever try to interact with your neighbours before you had a problem? You should try it. It makes ironing out differences a lot easier and for that matter, as "neighbours" one tends to be more mindful of others.

[/quote]

YES, done that.....!! I applied the western style of welcoming new neighbours to town by visiting them with a box of gift and expressing my wishes for us to be good neighbours...

Did it work? NO!!

Told you, not many foreigners are like you....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 May 2012 1:38 pm

All the ones I know are like me.......

Maybe one gets what one deserves? I dunno? :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 May 2012 1:40 pm

Of course, middle aged Aunties in the void decks at 0600 in the morning cackling like a bunch of hyperactive chooks is a different story. But they are locals so we cannot complain about them. :wink:

twister_king

Post by twister_king » Wed, 09 May 2012 1:57 pm

deleted.

yeah need a holiday bad....
Last edited by twister_king on Wed, 09 May 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 09 May 2012 2:01 pm

Dude, seriously, you need to take an apparently well-needed and well-deserved holiday. Your neighbors must really be that annoying--you're practically frothing at the mouth. You don't the proverbial straw to fall on you.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

twister_king

Post by twister_king » Wed, 09 May 2012 2:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Of course, middle aged Aunties in the void decks at 0600 in the morning cackling like a bunch of hyperactive chooks is a different story. But they are locals so we cannot complain about them. :wink:
whether locals or foreigners, as long as they are inconsiderate, complaints should be made! Why discriminate!???

Getting decent sleep is every HUMAN BEINGS' right and entitlement!!

twister_king

Post by twister_king » Wed, 09 May 2012 2:09 pm

the lynx wrote:Fuuuh... I can sense the intense rage in twister king's posts. Poor thing, whatever noise his neighbours make, it certainly broke the camel's back (and sanity).

On an extreme note, if you have a solid case against such inconsiderate neighbours and police seems to be unable to help you, you can actually sue them (if you have a solid case, I reiterate, with evidence like records of their misbehaviour, records of your communications with them, efforts made by your side, responses by them, etc). You may win a sum and even get your lawyer's fees paid off...

Edit: Wrong order in the last sentence: You get your lawyer's fees paid off and even win a sum of money! :P

anyone has taken this path, can u pls pm me with recommendation of a good lawyer??

thanks.

twister_king

Post by twister_king » Wed, 09 May 2012 5:20 pm

twister_king wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Of course, middle aged Aunties in the void decks at 0600 in the morning cackling like a bunch of hyperactive chooks is a different story. But they are locals so we cannot complain about them. :wink:
whether locals or foreigners, as long as they are inconsiderate, complaints should be made! Why discriminate!???

Getting decent sleep is every HUMAN BEINGS' right and entitlement! However if u can be tolerant towards chattering sound, then it's good for u.

BUT ABRUPT LOUD "TOOM", "Boom" sound from careless dropping of objects, and closing of bedroom doors.....it's a whole different dimension of tolerance. Try asking sleep deprived couples with baby they have rock to sleep to be rudely awakened by such noise.

detach8

Post by detach8 » Fri, 23 Nov 2012 4:42 pm

Hi there, I have been having issues with my neighbours upstairs and I am really fed up. They basically make noise at night, stomping and dropping things and moving furniture late into the night.

It has been 2+ freakin years and there has been no proper resolution.

We are a first world country but with seemingly third world grace, and it is surprising that we can be banning chewing gum, creating smoking corners and catching vehicles with modified exhausts because they are deemed 'dangerous' but we cannot protect ourselves from inconsiderate neighbours in our densely packed environment.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 23 Nov 2012 9:06 pm

detach8 wrote:Hi there, I have been having issues with my neighbours upstairs and I am really fed up. They basically make noise at night, stomping and dropping things and moving furniture late into the night.

It has been 2+ freakin years and there has been no proper resolution.

We are a first world country but with seemingly third world grace, and it is surprising that we can be banning chewing gum, creating smoking corners and catching vehicles with modified exhausts because they are deemed 'dangerous' but we cannot protect ourselves from inconsiderate neighbours in our densely packed environment.
Stupid apartment designs don't help. A first world country would have a building code that required a crawl (air) space between the floor above you and your ceiling - it can be used for cabling and pipes as well but more importantly provides noise insulation. Singapore claims it has world class architects - bull!
Now I'm called PNGMK

twister_king

Post by twister_king » Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:34 am

detach8 wrote:
Totally agree with you of first class Singapore authorities not able / not willing to provide PROTECTION to victims of noise-nuisance-inconsiderate neighbours. And such inconsiderate culprits persistently a nuisance because there is NO LAW in the current environment against such perpetrators.....so they can get away with their inconsiderate behaviour time and again.

Secondly, 80% of the population lives in high-rise buildings. If the authorities were to REALLY act upon such noise nuisance issues, HDB officers / police / MPs / mediation centers etc will be extremely busy. Hence, is there a self-explanatory answer as to why we kept facing these problems with no resolution??

Perhaps there should be a task force formed to deal with "neighbours from hell".