Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore homicide/murder/unnatural death cases

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon, 27 Jul 2009

Singapore homicide/murder/unnatural death cases

Postby Koalabear » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:16 pm

Is it just me but I find it hard to not notice the number of police cases involving deaths these days. When I served my NS, deaths on newspapers are more or less related to motorcycle accidents but now it seems 1 person dies per week from unresolved conflicts.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:50 pm

Perhaps a slow news month and the media are picking up on more local issues than normal.

Actually, I was quite surprised at how frequent I would hear news reports (or see posters & signage appealing for witnesses) about hit & run accidents in Singapore. Seems to happen very often (and not necessarily involving a motorcyclist on the receiving end).

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon, 27 Jul 2009

Postby Koalabear » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:57 pm

Splatted wrote:Perhaps a slow news month and the media are picking up on more local issues than normal.

Actually, I was quite surprised at how frequent I would hear news reports (or see posters & signage appealing for witnesses) about hit & run accidents in Singapore. Seems to happen very often (and not necessarily involving a motorcyclist on the receiving end).


I thought there is CCTV camera at every intersection in Singapore no?

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:02 am

Koalabear wrote:
Splatted wrote:Perhaps a slow news month and the media are picking up on more local issues than normal.

Actually, I was quite surprised at how frequent I would hear news reports (or see posters & signage appealing for witnesses) about hit & run accidents in Singapore. Seems to happen very often (and not necessarily involving a motorcyclist on the receiving end).


I thought there is CCTV camera at every intersection in Singapore no?


They don't always happen at intersections though

DaisyRae
Regular
Regular
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun, 01 Feb 2009
Location: East Coast

Postby DaisyRae » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:48 pm

I also noticed the 'murder' spree this past two weeks. I also noticed that here in Singapore, the killing incidents usually occur at their homes and the people involved are usually close to the victims.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:33 am

[quote="Koalabear"I thought there is CCTV camera at every intersection in Singapore no?[/quote]

Seriously? Looking at the daily routine of cars plowing through reds lights on a minute-by-minute basis I would never think that cameras are present at most intersections.

Having said that accidents here seem to happen veeeery rarely so overall it's not an issue.

User avatar
Loops
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon, 13 Sep 2004

Postby Loops » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 1:50 pm

DaisyRae wrote:I also noticed the 'murder' spree this past two weeks. I also noticed that here in Singapore, the killing incidents usually occur at their homes and the people involved are usually close to the victims.


Yes, I've noticed that too, people being stabbed, thrown off balconies etc - there seems to be a lot of rage around at the moment.

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 4:04 pm

Loops wrote:
Yes, I've noticed that too, people being stabbed, thrown off balconies etc - there seems to be a lot of rage around at the moment.


Not only in Singapore, here in London a good number of teenagers have been stabbed to death with the latest event being at Victoria station last night at 17:20, - the evening peak of all times. :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7523305/Youth-stabbed-in-Victoria-tube-station-dies.html

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Re: Singapore homicide/murder/unnatural death cases

Postby beppi » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 4:21 pm

Koalabear wrote:... but now it seems 1 person dies per week from unresolved conflicts.


I always assumed that a conflict is resolved with the death of one of the parties ...

DaisyRae
Regular
Regular
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun, 01 Feb 2009
Location: East Coast

Postby DaisyRae » Sun, 28 Mar 2010 3:28 pm

It's just a shame that newspapers here don't expound or give more details about murder and homicide cases. They usually just say the who's, where's, when's and what's and that's it. Would be more informative to know more about the police's speculations and evidences found.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34273
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Mar 2010 3:45 pm

Myself, I've always like the police comment (at least as the local bird cage liner says) that so-and-so is "assisting" us in our investigations. I was once told that that meant they've got 'em in deep freeze (or damn close to it) interrogation rooms, as has been rumoured ever since I've been, here until they confess. No clue if it true or not, but the old saw goes "usually where there's smoke there's fire". :o

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sun, 28 Mar 2010 4:15 pm

"Ok, folks, move along now. Show's over. Nothing to see here..."

User avatar
k1w1
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon, 30 May 2005

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 9:18 pm

Next time you feel like upsetting yourself, just have a look at the missing persons page on the Singapore police site... Really alarming how many people vanish here and there is apparently no trace of them again - and often not a word is uttered in the media (unless it is a very young child).

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:23 pm

Talking of SPF website....
http://www.spf.gov.sg/mic/2010/100205_t ... tats09.htm

Any thoughts how to explain this significant drop in No of fatalities?
A bit hard to believe that "These statistics reflect that the Traffic Police’s 3-pronged strategy of enforcement, engagement and education has been effective in improving the overall road safety in Singapore."
Recession indirect factor?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:46 pm

k1w1 wrote:Really alarming how many people vanish here and there is apparently no trace of them again - and often not a word is uttered in the media (unless it is a very young child).

How many? I see only a list of <30 ppl from the period starting in 1986. In US in 2005 there was 100,000 missing persons (population 300 million).
http://www.salvationarmy.org.au/family- ... s.html?s=0
"35,000 people are reported missing each year in Australia – one every 15 minutes."


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests