Firstly, thanks a lot to everyone for the vast information contained in this forum. It is very helpful and much appreciated..
Now, I am considering moving to NTU as an Assistant Professor in an Engineering department. I live in the US right now. Right now, I have an invitation to visit and interview there. I had a number of questions and was hoping someone in this forum might be able to help. I've searched around for answers on this forum and on the internet, but did not find much..
1. Does NTU provide a standard salary scale, or does your salary depend on your negotiation skills?
2. Apart from salary, what other fringe benefits are to be expected in a faculty position at NTU? Car allowance? Education allowance for kids?
3. I've been told that NTU offers subsidized on-campus housing, but no one has told me how much does it exactly cost. Does anyone care to comment what might be expected rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment on-campus?
4. Does NTU offer help in the two-body problem? In other words, does it offer a job for my wife to help us make the move to Singapore? She is well qualified, though not a PhD. What I would like to know is whether it is common practice for NTU to offer a job to the spouse as an incentive for us to move?
5. How is the academic environment in Singapore - in terms of quality of students, their level of enthusiasm towards research and studies, bureaucracy, academic freedom, etc.? How does it compare to the US?
If someone on this forum has made the move to NTU, I would love to hear from them about their experience. You could either post your experiences here or PM me privately.
Thanks a lot.
SINGAPORE EXPATS FORUM
Singapore Expat Forum and Message Board for Expats in Singapore & Expatriates Relocating to Singapore
Moving to Singapore as Assistant Professor at NTU
Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
contact me : firstname.lastname@example.org
I was wondering if you found any information about your queries, I have been offered a post at NTU, too, and have similar questions. I am wondering what you may have found out and also what your experiences are/have been. Thanks, any insights are greatly appreciated as my wife and I are contemplating moving to Singapore from the UK.
Re: Moving to Singapore as Assistant Professor at NTU
Definitely no.ankurjn wrote:4. Does NTU offer help in the two-body problem? In other words, does it offer a job for my wife to help us make the move to Singapore? She is well qualified, though not a PhD. What I would like to know is whether it is common practice for NTU to offer a job to the spouse as an incentive for us to move?
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Similar Topics
- Last post
Moving to Singapore - question about moving furniture
Last post by abbby « Mon, 09 Sep 2019 9:53 pmReplies: 1
Posted in Property Talk, Housing & Rentalby nomadposters » Mon, 14 Jan 2019 4:26 am » in Property Talk, Housing & Rental
- 1 Replies
- 2536 Views
Last post by abbby
Mon, 09 Sep 2019 9:53 pm
moving from Hong Kong to Singapore in Jan 2017
Last post by peter.Co « Sun, 24 Jun 2018 5:03 pm
Posted in Newcomer's Loungeby peter.Co » Sun, 24 Jun 2018 5:03 pm » in Newcomer's Lounge
- 0 Replies
- 5438 Views
Last post by peter.Co
Sun, 24 Jun 2018 5:03 pm
Moving back to Singapore
Last post by singaporeflyer « Wed, 04 Apr 2018 10:22 amReplies: 1
Posted in Relocating, Moving to Singaporeby Singapourienne » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 12:13 am » in Relocating, Moving to Singapore
- 1 Replies
- 2215 Views
Last post by singaporeflyer
Wed, 04 Apr 2018 10:22 am
Moving service from singapore to Ipoh
Last post by xinnie18 « Fri, 11 May 2018 9:35 am
Posted in Careers & Jobs in Singaporeby xinnie18 » Fri, 11 May 2018 9:35 am » in Careers & Jobs in Singapore
- 0 Replies
- 1279 Views
Last post by xinnie18
Fri, 11 May 2018 9:35 am
Moving to Singapore on dependent visa. Continue to work remotely for company in Australia.
Last post by NatalieF « Tue, 22 May 2018 8:01 pmReplies: 4
Posted in Relocating, Moving to Singaporeby NatalieF » Tue, 22 May 2018 8:24 am » in Relocating, Moving to Singapore
- 4 Replies
- 4064 Views
Last post by NatalieF
Tue, 22 May 2018 8:01 pm
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests