Singapore Expats Forum

Philippine maid holiday levy

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Philippine maid holiday levy

Postby carolynW » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 4:27 pm

I could not find the thread to the last posting on this subject where maids have to now pay for an additional levy going back to the phillippines, I just wanted to post that my maid went to the embassy herself and it cost S$5.50 per entry exit instead of that exorbitant $100 that the agency would charge to do it.

hg
Regular
Regular

Postby hg » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:27 pm

I have been hunting down information on this too as my Philipino FDW too wanted to go on a home leave.

It seems the rule is that if she has a "Philippines govt validated contract" then the exit pass costs just 5.5 $ (which is to save them from the airport tax in Philippines when returning). The trouble is 99% of the Philipino maids here are not here through the Philippines govt's labour dept and as such they are required to register into the system in Singapore by paying up for this "Philippines govt validated contract" which can cost a lot (110 SGD when done directly and 280+ SGD when done through an agent). Once done this validation lasts for 2 years and then they can get as many home leaves during that time as they want at 5.5 SGD per exit.

It was still too expensive and too much hassle for our FDW and so we decided to just cancel her WP and reapply when she is ready to comeback from her long home leave.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Philippine maid holiday levy

Postby Splatted » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:38 pm

carolynW wrote:I could not find the thread to the last posting on this subject where maids have to now pay for an additional levy going back to the phillippines, I just wanted to post that my maid went to the embassy herself and it cost S$5.50 per entry exit instead of that exorbitant $100 that the agency would charge to do it.

is this the thread you were looking for?

sutra403591.html&highlight=#403591