Singapore Expats

A childs question of Leadership

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:58 pm

ksl wrote:Though it is Singapore, the government preaches vision, innovation and the ability to increase productivity
:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

utopia
Regular
Regular

Post by utopia » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 7:58 am

Direction.

Leadership in Singapore would be to provide Direction, to take away the need from the general public to consider how the country should be handling its various policies.

It is this by providing this Direction that allows Singaporeans to be the best human capital they can be.

In an Asian society, where seniority and positions of power are generally respected, I don't believe the locals view this form of leadership as autocratic in the same depth of negative concoctions as a 'westerner' would probably have.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 8:06 am

utopia wrote:Direction.

Leadership in Singapore would be to provide Direction, to take away the need from the general public to consider how the country should be handling its various policies.

It is this by providing this Direction that allows Singaporeans to be the best human capital they can be.

In an Asian society, where seniority and positions of power are generally respected, I don't believe the locals view this form of leadership as autocratic in the same depth of negative concoctions as a 'westerner' would probably have.
lolx, we were asked the same question in NS and guess what all of us answered unanimously?

Leadership means "LEE"

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 8:31 am

"servant" is one perspective.

some of the greatest leaders didn't lead for the money

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 8:40 am

+1

Singaporeans are already aware. You guys should organize or something. Empowerment will go a long way, hopefully, several generations's worth just to make sure some real change happens.
Koalabear wrote:

lolx, we were asked the same question in NS and guess what all of us answered unanimously?

Leadership means "LEE"
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 8:47 am

ksl wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:But most leadership in today's day and age is based on your circle of "influence". Its all commercial! Not that they should be making cynics out of school kids, but well...
deleted because I don't wish to express my opinion. Just confuses SMS :)
Now, that's an illustration of "influence"! SMS's ability to influence you NOT to post. :P
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Post by irvine » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:37 am

Not 'control'? Haha.. ok, gentler one 'protect'.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:17 am

ksl wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:But most leadership in today's day and age is based on your circle of "influence". Its all commercial! Not that they should be making cynics out of school kids, but well...
It doesn't confuse me. I generally switch off after the first 3 or 4 sentences and just go to the next post, or skip it altogether. :wink:

Leadership:influence

I think what needs to be done is to see which dictionary is being used. Remember, Singapore has a tendency to create it's own little version of reality on the little red dot. Singapore's definition of influence is probably like their definition of Eurasian, having a meaning substantially different than that of the rest of the Native English Speaking world. Therefore, one would need to plumb the knowledge base of the exam/question setter to understand the local definition of the answer according to Lee (forget Hoyle).

Confused yet ksl?
:P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Post by SunWuKong » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 1:30 pm

Command.

It's a word just as complex and loaded as leadership and therefore avoids the question all together.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 2:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:
It doesn't confuse me. I generally switch off after the first 3 or 4 sentences and just go to the next post, or skip it altogether. :wink:

Leadership:influence

I think what needs to be done is to see which dictionary is being used. Remember, Singapore has a tendency to create it's own little version of reality on the little red dot. Singapore's definition of influence is probably like their definition of Eurasian, having a meaning substantially different than that of the rest of the Native English Speaking world. Therefore, one would need to plumb the knowledge base of the exam/question setter to understand the local definition of the answer according to Lee (forget Hoyle).

Confused yet ksl?
:P
Not at all, we are both on the same wavelength, however, I have to justify this to my daughter, without it jeopardizing, her motivation of free thinking, to be creative and not take the word Influence literally, Lee is actually reaching out to his Singaporeans about vision, but what is holding Singaporeans back is the hierarchy in the work place, with little or no skill upgrading in the manual labour market.

My point is that many bosses with power over there manual workers, use the word influence, I have been told many times, these are Asians you are dealing with no education, you have to show them who is boss. I have been so embarrassed on occasion watching a worker being scorned and ridiculed in front of everyone.....I just know that i would not tolerate it ever, not even in the army did i tolerate it. There should be room for human respect for all.....

No wonder their are ring leaders at shop floor level that attempt to pressure workers into not seeing what the others are doing, fear for reprisals is a real thing in the work force. Productivity is hit pretty hard and its so easy to prove, because people are not paid to think just obey

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 2:26 pm

The word, in itself encompasses the perfect definition.

Failing that as an acceptable option, I'd agree with utopia:
Perhaps utopia's nic is perfect here as the definitions are for a utopia

'nuff said Image

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 2:40 pm

SunWuKong wrote:Command.

It's a word just as complex and loaded as leadership and therefore avoids the question all together.
Not really, because the way we communicate is about respect for each other, if you have respect for each other, there is no need for a command until it is necessary, in an emergency for example..

A request to do something is much more appreciated, and if it isn't then, a command maybe necessary, it's not about showing who is boss, but showing who is the leader, and the leader must have this respect for his workers, if he wants them to be productive.

The work place must be made enjoyable a place one looks forward too, not a depressive bunch of screaming frustrated bosses.

Here's a prime example of a Prime Minister http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/video/ ... nsley_Book

Look at Gordon Browns problems http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/11 ... don-Brown/[/quote]

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 2:51 pm

ksl wrote:
SunWuKong wrote:Command.

Not really, because the way we communicate is about respect for each other, if you have respect for each other, there is no need for a command until it is necessary, in an emergency for example..

A request to do something is much more appreciated, and if it isn't then, a command maybe necessary, it's not about showing who is boss, but showing who is the leader, and the leader must have this respect for his workers, if he wants them to be productive.

The work place must be made enjoyable a place one looks forward too, not a depressive bunch of screaming frustrated bosses.

Here's a prime example of a Prime Minister http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/video/ ... nsley_Book

Look at Gordon Browns problems http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/11 ... don-Brown/
[/quote]

I don't find it odd, that Singaporeans are screaming about foreign labour, most business will employ the cheapest labour possible to try and achieve better returns, many businesses have short term vision of here and now, and do not invest in their workforce, why because they see it as money that matters conservatism is a condition which comes naturally within for many people.

Its all political and about finding the winning formula at the time. Though Victorian ideas, should be brought up for review to suit the times is what i am thinking.

Asians as some believe its their culture and say, westerners shouldn't interfere, though i would say to them...Singaporeans are the ones complaining not the westerners, work places are failing their own people for the sake of profit and greed and stubborn attitudes of wanting to have influence, when they do not have the skills to go with it..when the position is inherited, the workers have much more experience. Sadly i have seen Singaporeans leave the Company and take customers with them, because of the condescending boss. Not all bosses are leaders, they have to be patient and learn to inspire motivation rather than fear to be productive.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Post by SunWuKong » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 8:40 pm

I don't care how good the leader is, try doing something different and you'll soon learn that it was a command. :)
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:36 pm

Sadly, I think the word "influence" is exactly the right one in this context. I'm not sure the teacher will appreciate you trying to "influence" her into another. (Or do you mean you just wanted another word for your daughter as a better alternative?)

How about:

- guidance
- initiative (not quite right, I know)
- ingenuity (also not quite right, I guess)

Inspiration is a good one.