Transport options for stuff that won't fit into a normal cab

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
carteki
Editor
Editor

Transport options for stuff that won't fit into a normal cab

Post by carteki » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:54 am

What transport options are there for items that will not fit into a cab, but will fit into a car where you can put the seats down. This weekend I tried to bring a plank of wood 2m x 40cm home, but after 2 hours I got a refund and went home empty handed. Other examples would be a bicycle. I was not willing to use the overpriced home delivery (at 50% of the item's cost) as I am not able to wait around at home for the delivery guys to arrive at what ever time suits them.

I have seen pick-up trucks in taxi livery (< 1 tonner size). Does anyone know how to contact them?

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:09 pm

Yellow Top taxis have some of 'em I think.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

elbi

Post by elbi » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 4:47 pm

would maxicabs suffice? they have 7-seater vans as well as minibuses. they're rather picky with the number of stops you can make on the route, though. There are also many ads in the papers and online for "movers" who charge about $50-100 for moving a few items.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 6:44 pm

Thank you for your feedback. I tried maxi cabs, but none responded and apparently they have a problem with transporting anything other than people!

I was not aware that this was going to be a problem - else I would've arranged alternative transport before I was at the check-out queue. This is IKEA we're talking about - they advertise convenience - apparently only if you fit a certain profile.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 6:52 pm

carteki wrote:Thank you for your feedback. I tried maxi cabs, but none responded and apparently they have a problem with transporting anything other than people!

I was not aware that this was going to be a problem - else I would've arranged alternative transport before I was at the check-out queue. This is IKEA we're talking about - they advertise convenience - apparently only if you fit a certain profile.
What about their delivery services? It was something around SGD50 if I remember correctly. Unless you want to have it right after purchase this seems quite reasonable option.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 9:18 pm

definitely use Maxicab... especially if at IKEA. downstairs by the "pick-up merchandise" counter (next too customer service) there is a phone on the wall that is dialed into maxicab. they pick you up in the parking garage and will transport your oversized stuff home. i've done it a bunch of times with oversized things.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:02 pm

x9200 wrote:
carteki wrote:Thank you for your feedback. I tried maxi cabs, but none responded and apparently they have a problem with transporting anything other than people!

What about their delivery services? It was something around SGD50 if I remember correctly. Unless you want to have it right after purchase this seems quite reasonable option.
Fifty bucks just to transport a plank of wood home?!? I'm gonna use the bus... :P :P :P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:31 am

Why don't you bring the plank home on the beforementioned bicycle?
I have transported worse things on one - e.g. a whole washing machine (the old type with concrete weights in it). O.k., I had a trailer, but that doesn't make pedalling any easier ...