Singapore Expats

Using an Employment Agency for Issuance of Employment Pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Singapore Saint

Using an Employment Agency for Issuance of Employment Pass

Post by Singapore Saint » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 9:06 am

Morning all,

Has anyone used an employment agency for help with issuance of an employment pass? I have everything else ready to go, the medical forms etc, but can't apply for issuance myself through the MOM website, need to use an agency.

Has anyone used one before, got any recommendations? I guess it may be so straightforward that anyone can do it, but would be good to hear if anyone has any comments.

Thanks,

David

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:00 am

The only way an Employment Agency will apply for an employment pass is if they have a contract to put you on. At the moment, I have a strange feeling that that has started slowing down considerable as all companies here are experiencing the wrath of the the locals screaming too many foreigners. The Employment Agency, cannot "just" apply for an employment pass for you as they will have to "pay" you as well. Unless they have a client to second you to, they aren't going to do it. Guaranteed.

Additionally, from many years of practical experience in that industry, at the first sign of economic recession, companies start by shedding the personnel that don't belong to them, e.g., temp/contract staff being provided by a third-party source (the agency). When that happens - you are history.

It is also illegal (in Singapore) for any agency to charge a jobseeker for getting them a job. If you do so, you as well and the agency can get in big trouble and you could be deported and blacklisted so if offered something like that, for your own good, refuse the offer.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Singapore Saint

Post by Singapore Saint » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:09 am

I have applied for the pass and have approval for the pass, but I need to apply for issuance of the pass, which can be done either electronically through EPOL / Singpass or, according to the MOM, "You can approach a licensed employment agency to carry out this transaction on your behalf..."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:18 am

Singapore Saint wrote:I have applied for the pass and have approval for the pass, but I need to apply for issuance of the pass, which can be done either electronically through EPOL / Singpass or, according to the MOM, "You can approach a licensed employment agency to carry out this transaction on your behalf..."
No, you didn't apply for an employment pass, the company that is going to hire you did. What you say makes no sense... "apply for issuance"... the company applies, you get accepted, you get an approval in principle letter, you go down to MOM and pick up your pass.

Singapore Saint

Post by Singapore Saint » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:22 am

I applied for the employment pass through my own company that I set up.

In the paperwork I have received, which is the In-principle Approval Letter, it clearly states that "You can apply for issuance of the pass using EPOL / Singpass" etc or "You can approach a licensed Employment Agency to carry out the transaction on your behalf"

"After you have applied for pass issuance, the following docs must be provided for verification at the Services Centre"

So, having applied for the EP through my own company and received the In-Principle Approval Letter, it states that I need to apply for pass issuance before I can collect it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:17 am

Singapore Saint wrote:I applied for the employment pass through my own company that I set up.

In the paperwork I have received, which is the In-principle Approval Letter, it clearly states that "You can apply for issuance of the pass using EPOL / Singpass" etc or "You can approach a licensed Employment Agency to carry out the transaction on your behalf"

"After you have applied for pass issuance, the following docs must be provided for verification at the Services Centre"

So, having applied for the EP through my own company and received the In-Principle Approval Letter, it states that I need to apply for pass issuance before I can collect it.
It would have been good had you given us the relevant data in your first post. Your first post indicated that the agency is applying for your pass but in reality, they are only using their online system to access the MOM on your company's behalf to issue your EP for your company. Big difference. The answers you got were based on the incomplete data you supplied. So, yeah, an agency can "assist" in the issuance of your ep on behalf of your company. You might have to pay them an administrative fee but I've no idea of the market for that as we used to do it for around $20 bucks but that's been a number of years ago (5 or 6).

What I would suggest, is that you go to the nearest CPF centre and apply for a Singpass (instantaneous) and then do it yourself. You are going to need to get a SingPass anyway at some point if you have a company here so may as well start now.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 6:51 pm

As a side note, here is another example of MOM creating more stringent Entrepass rules, yet this gent/lady formed a company and got a regular EP. Wonders never cease. Congrats, Singapore Saint... it would be interesting to know what your company does.

Cheers.

Singapore Saint

Post by Singapore Saint » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 6:59 pm

Hi Strong Eagle,

Thanks for the responses earlier.

It may be because its a 'proper' company, with 3 shareholders, who are unrelated - me, a PR and a UK resident and that I have been here for over 5yrs, 2 of them on a P1 pass, although this new EP is a Q1.

I think that its the structure of the company that was the key, rather than what the company does, which has helped convince them that we're not set up just to get a pass, and are formally trading. FYI, we design and supply exhibition stands, manage client's events programs, etc.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 7:29 pm

Singapore Saint wrote:I applied for the employment pass through my own company that I set up.

You can ask one of the a shareholders to arrange the appointment online for you! Your PR status ran out i guess and that's why the EP
Last edited by ksl on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Singapore Saint

Post by Singapore Saint » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 8:15 pm

I'm not a PR, and my question wasn't about collecting the EP!

It was a question about issuing the EP, not collecting it, the 2 are very different. Once you have the EP application approved, I had to apply for the pass to be issued, which is a different process, and is done before you can collect the pass.

Anyway, MOM was able to help, and talked me through their online process, and it also involved making an appointment to see them tomorrow so that the pass can be issued, and then collected in 4 working days.... so if anyone needs any future help, let me know, I'm now an expert! ;-)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 8:37 pm

Singapore Saint wrote:I'm not a PR, and my question wasn't about collecting the EP!

It was a question about issuing the EP, not collecting it, the 2 are very different. Once you have the EP application approved, I had to apply for the pass to be issued, which is a different process, and is done before you can collect the pass.

Anyway, MOM was able to help, and talked me through their online process, and it also involved making an appointment to see them tomorrow so that the pass can be issued, and then collected in 4 working days.... so if anyone needs any future help, let me know, I'm now an expert! ;-)
Its all about collecting the EP, called standard procedures a flow chart would point this out for you, if you do not fulfil any of the criteria in the procedure, you don't collect, the e appointment is to check your paperwork, give you the stamp of approval or not, but it is all about collecting your EP. or am i wrong? I'm actually right, because you only have the letter in principle for the EP, you follow the set flow chart to collect or not collect if your documentation isn't accepted. :wink:

You have to get online, to arrange an appointment and only a singpass holder can do it, so that you can show your documentation. Pretty straight forward wasn't it. But any singpass holder can do it for you, is what i meant. Good luck anyway!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 9:24 pm

ksl,

When hoist by one's own petard, the best thing to do is hope you fade into the woodwork, not really stick you foot innit and prove to all that you did! :lol:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl,

When hoist by one's own petard, the best thing to do is hope you fade into the woodwork, not really stick you foot innit and prove to all that you did! :lol:

Well you would know having been hosited a few times I'm sure :P do I recall you saying that it couldn't be done :P

I stick by what i say, the procedure is a formality to collect the EP, the interview is to check the documentation and issue the green light, though maybe you cannot follow the flow chart. It doesn't matter they have guides to inform you what to do on the procedure :)

Is it so difficult to fathom. If you would like to add the part that is missing to say it is not part of the procedure to collect EP, please go ahead and show, then i may consider hoisting myself :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:12 am

The only thing that's difficult to fathom, is why you just added a bunch of gobbledegook when the OP had already explained it before you posted. He got the info in concise terms and notwithout adding a bunch of mumbo-jumbo about flow charts and other useless terms. You aren't wrong. Just repetitive. :P

Damn shame about you going back into the gym though. I was starting to feel the need to go out and have a couple as it's been a while! :cool: