Singapore Expats Forum

Crawling Rice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 9:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ozchick wrote:But I just can't bear the thought of eating unhatched grubs...ooh I just can't.

And all this time I thought you were as aussie! You mean you've never eaten Witchetty_grubs!

Ah don't tell me?! You HAVE?! :o
Nah.....I've used them for fishing-bait though. Don't remember them catching me anything of significance. See what I mean? Grubs, larvae, yucky- even the fish won't eat them! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 8:03 am

I have; my grandmother served them microwaved when I was a kid. They taste pretty damn good, a bit like bone marrow.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 9:35 am

Did 'em once in Darwin on a drunken dare. I reckon they are not any worse than eating barbecued locust in Thailand (also while on the p*ss!).

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 1:04 pm

I agree with the sentiment that New Moons’ response was pretty darn comforting… Are they a Sing company?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 2:17 pm

You gotta be kiddin' right? :?

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 2:29 pm

HaHa, got this much, where HQ based?

Company Profile:
New Moon has built a strong brand portfolio and architecture that responds creatively to the changing lifestyle needs of consumers. It consists of 4 broad product categories, focused on the platform of exotic seafood choices. New Moon product range includes abalone, other shellfish, soups, and sauces. Its corporate products and service brands are registered and protected in 17 markets which includes Argentina, Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Myanmar, Peru, Philippines, Malaysia/Sarawak, Singapore, Republic of China (Taiwan) and Vietnam.

New Moon is the Number 1 Best Selling Abalone Brand in Singapore for eight consecutive years - 1999 to 2006. New Moon has also won the Superbrands Award 2002-2004, Singapore Promising Brand Award 2003-2005, Singapore Promising Brand Award - Heritage Brand Award, Singapore Packaging Star Award 2004-2006 and Asia Star Packaging Award 2005

The flagship product of New Moon is abalone. New Moon offers four types of abalone from four different countries to meet the various market needs in taste, texture as well as price. The most exclusive abalone range is from Mexico, the premium range hails from Australia, New Zealand supplies the best selling flagship abalone and abalone from the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 2:32 pm

I grew up thinking one or two..or five of them are normal :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 3:34 pm

For the record, New Moon Rice is imported from Thailand.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 9:50 pm

Meanwhile having some trouble finding Oz rice. Found some Oz brown rice at Holland Village cold storage. Gonna try Jelita on the weekend. I will never think of rice on the same way again. I wouldn't trust it with a barge-pole. Gonna get the magnifying glass out. All you witchety grub eaters can eat what you like. I'm a little squeamish......
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:14 pm

stick some garlic in the rice. it will get rid of them.