Singapore Expats Forum

Crawling Rice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:45 am

SunWuKong wrote:I find that small weevils do not effect the taste of rice, so I don't even bother rinsing them out. As noted by Durian, a little bit more protein.

I have a thing against weevils in my flour though, so I usually put that in the fridge to keep the blighters dormant. Even if there are weevils to start with, they then at least have the decency to stay still whilst I prepare them for consumption.

Oh that is SO foul!! :shock:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

x9200

Re: Crawling Rice

Postby x9200 » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:20 am

ozchick wrote:
x9200 wrote:
ozchick wrote:I also find it hard to believe that weevils could eat through plastic? If that were the case, plastic wouldn't be the chosen packaging type and the supermarket shelves would be very heavily infested surely?

First hand knowledge. I would not believe if I did not see it with my own eyes. They practically shredded few thinner plastic bags. Google confirms.

OMG! Then why isn't rice sold in cans? :???:

All the stores..they still have to do their job to keep everything debugged, derodented, disinfected and likely few more de- ...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:52 am

If a weevil can bore through the husk of a grain of dried rice a plastic bag wouldn't hold much of a challenge for them. And yeah, whenever you are rinsing your rice and you notice the odd rice grain that is a chalk white instead of a kind of opaque white, guess what. There is a weevil larva in there happily munching away. You have probably had lots of proteins without even knowing it.

I had a problem with Double FP rice several months ago. Course I usually keep at least 20Kg (10kg bags) in the storeroom so I guess I brought some in with weevils and sure enough, as I would replenish the store, the new bag would soon be infested with them. Had to use up all the stores and disinfect as well. Now no problems. Pouring the rice out on a big tray about an inch deep and leaving it in the sun will have the weevils running for their lives. A couple of hours and they are gone (except for the grains with larva inside - but you can see the coloration difference and pick 'em out if you want. I usually don't bother as the protein does me good. :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:06 pm

3 seconds in the microwave will kill weevils and larva too! On the rice link i posted, you can see the microwave machine for rice producers, The rice just falls through a microwave filter. They may snap crackle and pop

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:27 pm

Not cool. Think about it. If you want the weevils OUT and you zap 'em in the microwave, you then have to go pick them out. My way, the weevils will actually crawl out of the rice and out of the pan as well leaving you with weevil-less rice.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not cool. Think about it. If you want the weevils OUT and you zap 'em in the microwave, you then have to go pick them out. My way, the weevils will actually crawl out of the rice and out of the pan as well leaving you with weevil-less rice.
Less protein though :P So do they get hot feet and dance in the pan ? :lol: So you think you can dance, wait until you see the weevil's

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 9:17 pm

Not a bad idea KSL. As a precautionary tactic one could microwave any incoming grain products, rice, flour, oats for 3 seconds each, and enjoy a static weevil density rather than one that is increasing in exponential proportion to the storage temperature.

But am I ready to give up my high weevil diet?
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Postby mayaray » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:45 am

As a kid we accepted that weevils come with rice and we used to store rice in a big plastic bin with a cover. Just wash them out, they usually float to the top. As for the larvae in rice, you cant see them and once cooked you cant tell either, tastes the same. heh heh.

now i store my rice in an airtight container.

BTW, didnt know weevils will die in microwaves. i tried microwaving an ant once. didnt die after a few minutes in the microwave at HIGH.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 1:27 pm

:D You need to get yourself a bigger microwave.

http://www.net-lanna.info/Food/scripts/ ... e=11022843
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 9:28 am

OMG! You guys are enough to put me off rice forever. .so, let me get this right. I understand that we are eating weevil larvae a lot of the time and not knowing it yeah?OMG....except that we can check for the 'opaque-ness''. Oh I feel sick..anyway, this sounds like what I've been told from the company- see below.The weevils are IN THE RICE AND THEY WILL HATCH IF THE WEATHER IS RIGHT. It's just horrible. I'm buying Australian rice now. I don't care about the cobalt whatever thingy. My grandma lived to 93 and she ate lots of rice. Ain't eating any more weevil larvae. This is so grose.

[b]New Moon Premium Fragrant Rice is a 100% natural product and is a safe and healthy food. However, the weevils you have experienced in the packets are probably caused by a hot & humid climate in Asian countries which is suitable for the weevils to hatch.
There was a technology called “cobalt radiation”

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:12 am

I would say it is extraordinary to see this level of honesty and comprehensiveness from a food company esp. for this particular market. They actually bothered to explain something instead of supplying the typical marketoidal BS. I think I will start to buy their products more frequently. No, I am not kidding.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:10 am

x9200 wrote:I would say it is extraordinary to see this level of honesty and comprehensiveness from a food company esp. for this particular market. They actually bothered to explain something instead of supplying the typical marketoidal BS. I think I will start to buy their products more frequently. No, I am not kidding.
You bet New Moon, is straight up, as for the Australian rice, well dare they tell the truth? Why don't you email them Ozchick, it would be interesting to see how they reply!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 2:16 pm

ksl wrote:
x9200 wrote:I would say it is extraordinary to see this level of honesty and comprehensiveness from a food company esp. for this particular market. They actually bothered to explain something instead of supplying the typical marketoidal BS. I think I will start to buy their products more frequently. No, I am not kidding.
You bet New Moon, is straight up, as for the Australian rice, well dare they tell the truth? Why don't you email them Ozchick, it would be interesting to see how they reply!

Hey don't misunderstand me. I also appreciate their honesty and emailed my reply with thanks for the education they were providing. But I just can't bear the thought of eating unhatched grubs...ooh I just can't.
And yeah, might do some research with SunRice or Koala brand (from OZ) and get their story too.....but this whole scenario has me thinking what else is going on in the food we eat that no bugger is telling us.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 2:38 pm

When i comes to food I guess the ignorance is often bliss. Of course all this with a basic trust in the country's regulation system being in place.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 3:41 pm

ozchick wrote:But I just can't bear the thought of eating unhatched grubs...ooh I just can't.

And all this time I thought you were as aussie! You mean you've never eaten Witchetty_grubs!