Singapore Expats Forum

Unfair booking with Jetstar

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Greenies
Regular
Regular

Unfair booking with Jetstar

Postby Greenies » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:52 am

Hi, need some help here. I've book the flight from Jetstar on Feb 23 amounting to $280+. Today i check the fare again and it's $150+. I actually booked 3weeks earlier and yet have to pay almost double the price now. I feel that it's very unfair. I called in and the customer service officer wasnt very friendly or helpful in this. She keep telling me that there's nothing she can do.
Need some advise here what can be done on this? I'm very unhappy to have book earlier and paid double the price. I do not have confident anymore to travel with Jetstar. Inconsistent price and bad customer service. :x

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Unfair booking with Jetstar

Postby ksl » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 2:12 am

Greenies wrote:Hi, need some help here. I've book the flight from Jetstar on Feb 23 amounting to $280+. Today i check the fare again and it's $150+. I actually booked 3weeks earlier and yet have to pay almost double the price now. I feel that it's very unfair. I called in and the customer service officer wasnt very friendly or helpful in this. She keep telling me that there's nothing she can do.

Need some advise here what can be done on this? I'm very unhappy to have book earlier and paid double the price. I do not have confident anymore to travel with Jetstar. Inconsistent price and bad customer service. :x
Unfortunately you can do nothing, though it is very bad practise to have a promotion, and then drop the price even further....its been going on for years, in the travel industry and its to do with seat allocation I believe, to certain agencies.

This appears to be the norm in travel, you need to really shop around for the best price. Lots of travellers are in the same position, some pay as much as 75% less......did you purchase at the expo centre exhibition, if so I think you should really take the matter up with CASE. I done expect it has alot to do with jetsar, only the agencies becuase I believe they tender for the seating capacity, though i am not 100% sure of this. Though you can imagine if you purchased from a smaller agency, you may end up paying more. You need to be really careful when purchasing, not to take the first price offered, shop around

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 9:37 am

you can't do anything about it

It's the backbone of low cost companies.... The lower the demand the lower the price and vice versa.

The change of pricing means the flight isn't filling up as expected, so they lower their prices to bring more customers...

Just like if you book last minute in an almost full plane you're gonna end up paying for all the passengers that payed low fares...

I've seen a jetstar flight to bali for more than 1200 dollars.. around chinesse new year... could have gone all the way to europe for that price... :cool:

Greenies
Regular
Regular

Postby Greenies » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 1:47 pm

I actually booked the tickets directly at Jetstar website. I received the promotion email that lead me to the 'promotional price'. Now that i receive the email again yesterday i decided to check the price. to my horror it was actually cheaper this time round.
i understand that they have promotion on and off to fill up the planes. I'm very unhappy that it's only 3weeks apart and i did book earlier to enjoy the so called 'promotional price'.
Logically, in general it should be the earlier you book the cheaper you get. Im very disappointed with Jetstar. Previously they change my flight to Macau without informing me till i call up to check.
Urgh... i feel so cheated.. :cry:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 6:13 pm

Greenies wrote:Logically, in general it should be the earlier you book the cheaper you get.

[snip]

i feel so cheated.. :cry:

not really. In fact the opposite is more common, particularly with flights and hotel bookings.

There are some websites dedicated to giving these last minute offers on behalf of the hotels and airlines.

their objective is to fill the seats on the flight. It makes no sense for them to fly the plane half-full when fuel costs dictate their running expenses are exactly the same.

Actually, if you want insight into how these no frills operators work.. you should check out this show... lots of people unhappy with service of budget carriers:

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/airways/-/ ... episode-5/

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Unfair booking with Jetstar

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 6:22 pm

Greenies wrote:Hi, need some help here. I've book the flight from Jetstar on Feb 23 amounting to $280+. Today i check the fare again and it's $150+. I actually booked 3weeks earlier and yet have to pay almost double the price now. I feel that it's very unfair. I called in and the customer service officer wasnt very friendly or helpful in this. She keep telling me that there's nothing she can do.

This is not bad customer service, this is the way airlines work. The fares change all the time. I don't think there is a thing you can or should do, but take your trip and enjoy yourself. If it was worth $280 on February 23rd, then it should still be worth that for you. Go and have fun and forget about it.

Greenies
Regular
Regular

Postby Greenies » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 7:06 pm

splatted.. i couldnt watch that video on the link. not available at my location.

road.not.taken.. thanks.. i guess that's the only thing i can do now is to psycho myself not to think of it..

*head to wall* shit always happens to me.. :cry:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 7:38 pm

Don't be a big baby. Nothing has 'happened' to you. You paid a fair price for a service and they are delivering that service. Case closed.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:10 pm

it's not cheating; it's bad timing.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:15 pm

Greenies wrote:splatted.. i couldnt watch that video on the link. not available at my location.

road.not.taken.. thanks.. i guess that's the only thing i can do now is to psycho myself not to think of it..

*head to wall* shit always happens to me.. :cry:
Are you married :lol:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 12 Mar 2010 8:23 am

So . . . if you paid $100 one day and the fare was advertised as $200 the next day would you call up and demand to pay the difference?

It's called a seat sale and if you get it - wonderful. If you missed it - better luck next time.

What did you expect from customer service? To refund you your money or give you the cheaper flight?

Entitlement for lack of a better word

'nuff said Image

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:06 pm

Yeah, absolutely nothing unfair about this.

You can risk trying to catch a low fare closer to the departure date (once the airline gets jelly legs), or you can secure your seat earlier. If seats were filling up faster than expected then the price would probably be higher now...

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:18 pm

Some people simply love to complain about everything...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:36 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:Some people simply love to complain about everything...

This is Singapore right? Walk into any kopitiam and have a listen. :lol:

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nath21 » Fri, 12 Mar 2010 1:41 pm

Its like when you see sale sign in a shop. Isnt evertything always on sale. I always found that a weird sign to hang in front of a shop. The new word in sale signs is "promotional sale". If you consider the wording it dosent actually mean cheaper than normal it just means they are trying to drum up business. You presume its cheaper and you know what presumtion is the moher of..

Wait until he actually flys with them then he will have a real compliant.