Singapore Expats Forum

What to visit in Phuket and Krabi?

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
chelsea0816
Regular
Regular

What to visit in Phuket and Krabi?

Postby chelsea0816 » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 9:25 pm

Hihi,

will need some tips and places to visit in Phuket & Krabi. Greatly appreciate any info. Hehe, my boyfriend & I will be there for 2 weeks (might be long, but it should be nice doing not much work)...

Any place to chill, party, do some sports and maybe snorkeling? What's not to be missed?

Cheers :)

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 9:03 am

Not sure how adventurous you guys are, but here are a few suggestions:
- Pick up Open Water Diving certificates
- Go for white water rafting in phuket. Do note that there are 2 levels for white water rafting, with one starting at a higher & more choppy point. I recommend the higher point.
- Bungy jump if you trust the thais to have a tight rope!
- Rent a motorbike. This is really cheap, and the road in Phuket is not complicated at all. Ride around Phuket to check out other more remote areas, or ride up to the hills for a fantastic view. I love drinking from a fresh coconut, on a wooden cafe overlooking the sea.
- Check out the yacht club if you are into sailing
- If its your first time to asia &/or phuket, and have not seen the transversites before, you can check out Patong. Its "uniquely phuket". But I won't recommend staying in Patong. Its too noisy and hectic for a relaxing vacation...

adibahhhhhh

Postby adibahhhhhh » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:53 am

Hey! I was in Krabi and Phuket two weeks ago. Sigh, I so wanna go back there. Need to get myself a thai citizenship asap.

In Krabi, you should definitely check out the Emerald Pool. Not to be missed, but unfortunately I did just that due to time constraints. Lie on the beach at Railay West to catch the gorgeous sunset. Railay east is a bit swampy, but good if you like reggae and are in the mood for bongs. hur hur.

Koh Phi Phi is of course, a dream. You should go there as early as possible (do not book a tour for this, as most of them will only let you on the beach for 30 minutes) to avoid the crowd. Spend at least a day here. There's many beaches to explore (Maya Bay being the prettiest).

In Phuket, stay at Karon beach. Patong is absolutely disgusting IMO and packed with tourists. Karon beach also has clearer waters and a fantastic rip tide. There you can try parasailing. Also try the ATV, or its less-risky sister. This will take you along the steep terrain and hills where you'll ride along a beautiful sunset and up to the viewpoint. Gorgeous view.

and yes, Patong is epic. EPIC! aside from the go-go bars, pingpong shows and manly women, there are one or two gentlemen's clubs with really fit ladies.

Sasuka

Postby Sasuka » Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:15 pm

Man...you should take a walk along soi bhangra street. Its the street where all the night spots are located at... Very very erm...special.

On the other hand, if you're looking to go phi phi islands, you should pick a slightly reputable hotel. Coz the smaller ones while cheaper, will have salted water for baths..I personally couldnt take it...

vozzie
Regular
Regular

Postby vozzie » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:12 am

If you want to "Chill" .... you should consider Koh Lanta. Beautiful beaches, clear water ... and laid back.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Postby BigSis » Sun, 18 Apr 2010 12:59 am

My fave beaches in Phuket are Nai Harn and Kata Noi. I like the south more than the north of the island and the sunset restaurant right on the southern tip is great (and cheap too), I think it is Prom Threp - book a taxi to come back and get you though if you don't drive as it can be quiet around there once the sun has set.

For snorkelling you can get a day trip or just hire a long tail from Chalong Pier and they can take you out to Coral Island (Koh Hae) for the day (sometimes it is good to sort it out the day before so you can get an early start). The snorkelling there is better than I've experienced off Phuket island.

If you're in Krabi, or Railay area, go to Phra Nang beach (the one with the big posh Rayavadee resort on it), it's a lovely beach. You have to get a long tail boat there. The snorkelling around Railay is better than Phuket I reckon.

februus
Regular
Regular

Postby februus » Tue, 25 May 2010 1:22 pm

my top tip is climb to the top of tiger cave temple in Krabi. go early, because its a bit of a climb, but the effort is worth it for the reception that the nuns give you when you get there. i am not really a spiritual person, but i loved it.

februus
Regular
Regular

Re: What to visit in Phuket and Krabi?

Postby februus » Tue, 25 May 2010 1:24 pm

shermanshawn wrote:I love Wat Tham Sueu - temple inside a cave. A climb of 1,200 steps is required to reach the lookout point, where you’ll also find a chedi and Buddha images.

Thats the place i mean!

Truelight80

Postby Truelight80 » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 5:07 pm

so how much does it cost to go snorkelling in Similan island? Any idea? :wink:
Wong