Singapore Expats

Thinking to Relocate from India to Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
kanchana_deshna

Thinking to Relocate from India to Singapore

Post by kanchana_deshna » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:37 pm

Hello,

I've been reading the forum- thread's and got few information, still i require more clarity on the Info.

1.I'm an Indian planning to re-locate to SG. Spoken to SMC for applying ICA-PR , they said after applying it might take few months .

Any idea how many months it will take up for processing? Will it cost around 1500S$?

2.Does any reputed IT consultancy/Agency available in SG to find JOB OFFER in SG?

3.Any other ideas/suggesstions to find a JOB in SG for an IT Professional.

Kindly forgive me, if any of my Questions are repetative.

Thanks a lot !!!

Kanchana

x9200

Re: Thinking to Relocate from India to SG

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 7:59 am

kanchana_deshna wrote:Hello,
I've been reading the forum- thread's and got few information, still i require more clarity on the Info.
All these questions were asked/answered within last month or so I believe and it would be really good if you browse the forum more extensively and use the search function (try LPR for example). Up to the most important point - it is a really bad time now for getting a job related permits in SG.

kanchana_deshna

Thanks

Post by kanchana_deshna » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 5:57 pm

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your response. I've read reg LPR. But about the consultancy there is no clue. Could you please help me on that? Bcoz you local people can help better.Why getting job in SG is difficult these days?

Regards,
-kanchana

nakatago

Re: Thanks

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks a lot for your response. I've read reg LPR. But about the consultancy there is no clue. Could you please help me on that? Bcoz you local people can help better.Why getting job in SG is difficult these days?

Regards,
-kanchana
* citizens are complaining about competing with foreigners
* government now stricter in approving visas
* it's an election year
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:48 pm

Yea us new aspirants / arrivals in Singapore are kind of quirky as well what legislative changes might be done to deter the presence of expats in Singapore.

I would recommend only upsetting you current career if you have something formal form of job offer in SG.
Things are looking difficult.

However based on my experience of job hunting in Singapore these are the most common kinds of profiles I have seen,
- Business Analysts (With Financial knowledge / SAP exp)
- IT Project Managers
- Infrastructure Implementation Experts
- Networking people
- IT Support Engineers
- Consultants

Good luck.

kanchana_deshna

Allright!!

Post by kanchana_deshna » Fri, 12 Mar 2010 3:29 am

Hi,

Thanks again for your response. Still i'm trying my level best. During your jobsearch, if you would have come across any employment agencies/Consultany/Indian Overseas Emp etc.Let me know. I can give a go!!!!!

kanchana_deshna

Cost to Job hunters

Post by kanchana_deshna » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 1:02 am

Hi,

I'm still searching for the Job in IT. I've come acorss few Job hunters who could forward my resume to Agencies & Org provided i pay $30-50SG. ARE they reliable? Is any particluar Job Hunter in SG?

Thanks,
-Kanchana.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Cost to Job hunters

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 06 Apr 2010 8:49 am

kanchana_deshna wrote:Hi,

I'm still searching for the Job in IT. I've come acorss few Job hunters who could forward my resume to Agencies & Org provided i pay $30-50SG. ARE they reliable? Is any particluar Job Hunter in SG?

Thanks,
-Kanchana.
If you pay then you are being ripped off. As others have noted, use the search function. Agencies are notorious for ripping people off.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Cost to Job hunters

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:50 am

kanchana_deshna wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
-Kanchana.
As per Singapore rules it is illegal to collect recruitment fees from the end user (person seeking the job). Most firms end up paying recruitment consultants for their effort.

So the person you contacted is doing something illegal by,
- Either trying to Double Collect on Fees against singapore laws
- Rip you off by taking your money and deleting your CV email

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Thinking to Relocate from India to Singapore

Post by intellectualsmuse » Fri, 09 Apr 2010 12:00 am

1.I'm an Indian planning to re-locate to SG. Spoken to SMC for applying ICA-PR , they said after applying it might take few months .

Any idea how many months it will take up for processing? Will it cost around 1500S$?

2.Does any reputed IT consultancy/Agency available in SG to find JOB OFFER in SG?

3.Any other ideas/suggesstions to find a JOB in SG for an IT Professional.

Kindly forgive me, if any of my Questions are repetative.

Thanks a lot !!!

Kanchana

Try ABC Consultants (Delhi) and Kelly in India. And like everyone else here I would suggest you find a job before you consider relocating. Goodluck!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 3:58 pm

Check for jobs on Indian job portals like Naukri.com, Monster etc with location as Singapore.

Singapore IT job market is very different from US, UK or any other city. There are just a bunch of banks and semiconductor companies here (Ok that was an understatement) But seriously! IT Jobs here are very scarce even during the best of times and salaries well! 5K per month is considered a great salary here. And hikes are a joke. 200$ hike each year. Compare that to Bangalore where you can get a handful of offers during a weekend! In couple of years the IT salaries in India will overtake Singapore. In some cases they already pay higher in India.

Also, another thing I should tell you is that the jobs are mostly support job. No design or consulting kind of work that you could get even in India. Even the kind of people that come here from India arent exactly top notch. They hardly even speak properly in English. They look so dumb and as there is hardly any career progression here, you are mostly likely going to be stuck in the same job for years and years together as the market in not bouyant here like India.

The only reason you should come to Singapore is to experience the quality of life here.

So dont have too much hopes here. If you get a well paying job here then come. But hoping that you can come here and find a decent job would be a terrible mistake.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 5:43 pm

revhappy.

That was a good, honest & realistic post. As nakatago likes to put it...

+1 :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 8:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: As nakatago likes to put it...
sheesh...

@revhappy,

i++
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Post by raden888 » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 8:57 pm

Wow SMS agreeing with revhappy...Is it a full moon?

+1

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:00 pm

Yeah, I said the same thing today when I posted it. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers