Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone lived in / or from Germany

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 1:25 am

aster wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Hmm, could it be that their sense of humour is different? I am presuming you have first hand knowledge in being humorous with Germans in German?

As for the Dutch . . . five years of living there gives me a different opinion to yours, I find their sense of humour quite boorish

Yes, very different. Apparently it's the language that's at fault here... with German being a more rigorous language and not as flexible as English. And language also shapes certain thought processes, but then that's all linguistic mumbo-jumbo...

Since I sense a hint of disagreement on this one I can fully understand why you'd also have an opposite opinion about the Dutch. :)

P.S. Two absolute classics, enjoy:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxpDrlNh6n0

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vBn2_ia8zM

Thanks Aster, very amusing :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 28 Mar 2010 8:51 pm

raden888 wrote:The best place to live in Europe . . . it would have to be Italy, :shock: :???: You mad? Sicily is nice especially say around Taormina, Milano is alright too.Rome is laughable..It is almost like KL with same driving temperament.

Ich lieber Deutschland.

Ever heard of Tuscany? Food, people, lifestyle . . . (minus cars, traffic and general organisation) . . .

. . . simply beautiful.

Did someone say England? :lol:

'nuff said Image

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:03 am

Vaucluse wrote:Did someone say England? :lol:

OMG, beats living anywhere in Deutschland 1000x times over, that's for sure... unless you happen to be a German... :lol:

No contest really: Civilisation over... Germany. Not exactly a tough one... ;)

Personally I'd recommend England's South Coast, can hardly find a better place to live in... especially in the EU.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 2:08 pm

aster wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Did someone say England? :lol:

OMG, beats living anywhere in Deutschland 1000x times over, that's for sure... unless you happen to be a German... :lol:

No contest really: Civilisation over... Germany. Not exactly a tough one... ;)

Personally I'd recommend England's South Coast, can hardly find a better place to live in... especially in the EU.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'nuff said Image

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 2:55 pm

aster wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 3:43 pm

Welcome back V, did you get the I survived Cambodia T-shirt? :D

Hmm, me thinks Aster must be English...England is nice but then you have to contend living with the 'moaning' English. " Bloody rain, its too hot outside luv etc -that's enough to drive you mad! Ask KSL he left 40 years ago :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 4:17 pm

raden888 wrote:Ask KSL he left 40 years ago :lol:

Yeah, and he still can't stop moaning and bitching about it. True Brit thru and thru! :lol:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 8:30 pm

raden888 wrote: Ask KSL he left 40 years ago :lol:

So that's why this year is the 40th anniversary of the UK's Independence Day! :wink:

raden888 wrote:Welcome back V, did you get the I survived Cambodia T-shirt? :D

Thanks, raden! :) Not too far wrong . . . the uncleared minefield areas weren't that far away. Kind of doesn't help either when the plantation foremen walk around like this (Taken Saturday):

The weirdest thing is, however, that you hardly see any old people. Almost eerie

'nuff said Image

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 8:48 pm

It would be a lot more practical to have a spare preloaded mag in a pouch where those five loose bullets are. Never seen that before, but then... I saw many things I'd never seen before in Cambodia.

If I might add. For such a horrifically downtrodden and poor country, the people are perhaps the gentlest and kindest I have ever met... what a place.

Hope you had a good time.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:46 pm

Vaucluse wrote:Image

Vac, is that Lufthansa's new logo in animated form? :D :D :D

Sure looks better than anything else this carrier has flown in the last 10 yrs... seems like the German public are finally in for an upgrade. :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 8:02 am

JR8 wrote:It would be a lot more practical to have a spare preloaded mag in a pouch where those five loose bullets are. Never seen that before, but then... I saw many things I'd never seen before in Cambodia.

If I might add. For such a horrifically downtrodden and poor country, the people are perhaps the gentlest and kindest I have ever met... what a place.

Hope you had a good time.

Indeed, Cambodia is a strange place . . . and the people are really quite gentle . . . except for when you are having a massage. Even the old biddies will try to break every bone in your body.

Oh, and they absolutely loathe the Thais . . . another reason to like them. :)

Yes, it was a good time, as far as work goes - now we'll just see the results, hopefully we'll have some very nice deals coming out shortly.

(Aster . . you mean like flying BA . . . when they're not on strike? :wink: )

'nuff said Image

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 4:33 pm

The situation in Cambodia is pretty grim. The recent oil find will most likely be a hindrance than a positive outcome for the Cambodian people. Selfish and unscrupulous individuals are all zooming in on the enormous amounts of $$$ the can make while ignoring the current state of affairs.

Foreigners are also making a 'killing' in landmine clearing.Paying locals pittance while raking in huge Government contracts..

Cambodians were mighty rulers of S.E.A when Thais were still in China , hence the animosity, coupled with events during the last 3 decades helps fuels the 'anger'.

tess88

Postby tess88 » Thu, 15 Apr 2010 9:09 pm

beppi wrote:
aster wrote:The Dutch are better in every way, why should they have an inferiority complex? :) They're smarter, taller, have better looking women, a hugely superior sense of humour, better footballers, more interesting cities, a better airport than their neighbours are able to provide in a much bigger environment, better rail system, better banks, rank much higher in the global economic freedom index, have a higher GDP per capita, etc., etc., etc., :)

Why didn't you mention the wonderful trekking and rock climbing opportunities in the Dutch mountain ranges - that would have made up for the lack of a <sarcasm> tag in this forum!

:lol: german said don't go skiing in Netherland!