Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone lived in / or from Germany

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 2:03 pm

aster wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Hmm, could it be that their sense of humour is different? I am presuming you have first hand knowledge in being humorous with Germans in German?

As for the Dutch . . . five years of living there gives me a different opinion to yours, I find their sense of humour quite boorish


Yes, very different. Apparently it's the language that's at fault here... with German being a more rigorous language and not as flexible as English. And language also shapes certain thought processes, but then that's all linguistic mumbo-jumbo...

Since I sense a hint of disagreement on this one I can fully understand why you'd also have an opposite opinion about the Dutch. :)

P.S. Two absolute classics, enjoy:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxpDrlNh6n0

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vBn2_ia8zM


:lol: Talk about a rigorous language . . . it depends on the area, with the Rhineland having a fairly sing-song timbre to it and the guttural Bavarian areas etc etc. Speaking of rigorous . . . the Dutch excuse for a throat disease. I lived in Haarlem and they are supposed to have the most throat-clearing accent of all . . . yuck.

Yes, the Berlitz clip is famous and very self-deprecatory . . . good humour . . . and the other a Brit sketch. For my money the Brits have the best sense of humour around, in all its shades and hues



Good on you, Ozchick. You will enjoy yourself
......................................................

'nuff said Image

raden888
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon, 08 Feb 2010

Postby raden888 » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 2:25 am

Germans do have a sense of humour and not all Dutch are humorous as put out to be. I was on a flight from Zurich to Amsterdam. Guy next to me said hello ( in a Germanic way) so I naturally proceeded the conversation in German...That was a sentence stopper. The next thing he says in English is I'm Dutch!! Ha Ha Ha ! Dutch hello and German hello are very similar.How am I suppose to know he was Dutch? :o

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:55 pm

Well, the Dutch have an inherent inferiority complex towards Germany . . . the country is reliant on its big neighbour socially, economically and politically.

It is a small man's syndrome
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 8:11 am

Vaucluse wrote:Well, the Dutch have an inherent inferiority complex towards Germany . . . the country is reliant on its big neighbour socially, economically and politically.

It is a small man's syndrome

They do not like Germans too much, that's for sure, but I have doubts whether this is inferiority complex. They are dependant on German economy as per normal neighbouring country relations of this sort and with this type of the partner. Politically or socially Dutch are IMO colourful enough so here this dependence is for me not really clear.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 1:54 pm

x9200 wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Well, the Dutch have an inherent inferiority complex towards Germany . . . the country is reliant on its big neighbour socially, economically and politically.

It is a small man's syndrome

They do not like Germans too much, that's for sure, but I have doubts whether this is inferiority complex. They are dependant on German economy as per normal neighbouring country relations of this sort and with this type of the partner. Politically or socially Dutch are IMO colourful enough so here this dependence is for me not really clear.


The Dutch are basically Germanic and the language is a low-German dialect.
Their predominant religion is protestant, ever heard of Martin Luther?, though they did bastardise it to develop it into the racist and backward Gereformeerde Kerk, basically the 'good book' relied upon by the South African Afrikaaner (Dutch South Africans) to create Apartheid and bring misery to million for decades.

The Dutch will decry it at every opportunity . . . but they do have an inferiority complex towards their neighbour . . . whether it is because of football, the world wars, their massive co-operation with the Nazis, culture, language etc . . .
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 2:45 pm

Vaucluse wrote:The Dutch will decry it at every opportunity . . . but they do have an inferiority complex towards their neighbour . . . whether it is because of football, the world wars, their massive co-operation with the Nazis, culture, language etc . . .

I have lived there for similar period as you, right on the border with Germany and did not get that impression. At least nothing strong enough to have a clear cut and justify such generalization. Same language family, religion and mess in the country's history are pretty common all over Europe.

User avatar
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007
Location: In a spacious appartment

Postby Superglide » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 2:35 am

Vaucluse wrote:
aster wrote:
raden888 wrote:I've noticed a lot of Australians tend to make WW2 references when they come across Germans. Big No No in Germany.They will not laugh at your jokes or see the funny side.


I think that would be the case regardless of the type of joke. :D The Germans have a lot of positive traits, but a good sense of humour is sadly not one of them (the Dutch are brilliant in this regard though). :)


Hmm, could it be that their sense of humour is different? I am presuming you have first hand knowledge in being humorous with Germans in German?

As for the Dutch . . . five years of living there gives me a different opinion to yours, I find their sense of humour quite boorish


Well, you're German, aren't you? :lol:
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 1:47 pm

Have they released the latest movie of De Flodders?

How's life back home, getting tired of the cold . . . it seems never-ending. My brother is not too far from you at the moment, in Luxemburg
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007
Location: In a spacious appartment

Postby Superglide » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:06 pm

Today it is actually 17 degrees celsius, the warmest day in more than 4 months, I heard on the news this morning. Although spring officially only starts on Saturday, one can feel the winter is over. A good, cold winter it was, haven't seen that much snow, since childhood.

De Flodders, now we're talking Dutch humour indeed! :wink:

Who knows I will bump into your brother then, we're off for a weekend to Luxembourg tomorrow. Does he look like yourself?
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:31 pm

Superglide wrote:Today it is actually 17 degrees celsius, the warmest day in more than 4 months, I heard on the news this morning. Although spring officially only starts on Saturday, one can feel the winter is over. A good, cold winter it was, haven't seen that much snow, since childhood.

De Flodders, now we're talking Dutch humour indeed! :wink:

Who knows I will bump into your brother then, we're off for a weekend to Luxembourg tomorrow. Does he look like yourself?


I must admit that memories of snow and playing in it do feel good . . . Your dogs must have loved the stuff.

De Flodders . . . I think I must have watched every one, part of my Dutch-language learning experience.

My brother has the good fortune of looking like me, yes. :wink: A bit of gray in his hair and infinitely fitter . . . plus he wears a suit to work. He'll be there for another week before going to Havana for six weeks. Lucky sod
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:44 am

Vaucluse wrote:Well, the Dutch have an inherent inferiority complex towards Germany . . . the country is reliant on its big neighbour socially, economically and politically.

It is a small man's syndrome


I would tend to think the opposite. :)

The Dutch are better in every way, why should they have an inferiority complex? :) They're smarter, taller, have better looking women, a hugely superior sense of humour, better footballers, more interesting cities, a better airport than their neighbours are able to provide in a much bigger environment, better rail system, better banks, rank much higher in the global economic freedom index, have a higher GDP per capita, etc., etc., etc., :)

Germany seems like the last nation on Earth towards which anyone would have an inferiority complex... ;)

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:36 am

:lol: Thanks for that laugh . . . needed it, sitting in the office on a Saturday morning . . . you forgot better food and a more beautiful countryside along with better beer . . .

:lol: Priceless
......................................................



'nuff said Image

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:51 pm

I see you agree with everything now that's you're putting other things into the equation. :) Funny you should mention "countryside" against a tiny country... you really must be running out of ideas!

Food is a subject neither country should want to bring up to be honest, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Your only other valid point is... beer. :) Yeah, I'm no fan of Heinie... it ranks straight at the end of my beer preferences.

On a side note I've noticed that Germans often have an inferiority complex when they travel to the UK. Now this doesn't surprise me in the slightest... :)

P.S. Heard that LH decided to use its first A380 to shuttle Germany's footballers to South Africa for the WC. I wonder if they'll extend their offer to taking them back after the group phase? :D

Enjoy the day, mate!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 20 Mar 2010 1:30 pm

aster wrote:Food is a subject neither country should want to bring up to be honest, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Your only other valid point is... beer. :) Yeah, I'm no fan of Heinie... it ranks straight at the end of my beer preferences.

This is mostly Heineken. Grolsch from tap is pretty decent. IMHO. Other somewhere in between. Food.. well de muur cuisine with frikandellen and such and stamppot (which I like personally) elsewhere ... hmmm.... stroopwafels and vanilla vla being the brightest stars of it all :-) One has to be very enthusiastic.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Sun, 21 Mar 2010 1:23 pm

aster wrote:The Dutch are better in every way, why should they have an inferiority complex? :) They're smarter, taller, have better looking women, a hugely superior sense of humour, better footballers, more interesting cities, a better airport than their neighbours are able to provide in a much bigger environment, better rail system, better banks, rank much higher in the global economic freedom index, have a higher GDP per capita, etc., etc., etc., :)


Why didn't you mention the wonderful trekking and rock climbing opportunities in the Dutch mountain ranges - that would have made up for the lack of a <sarcasm> tag in this forum!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests