Singapore Expats

diamond jewellery

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
dancingking

diamond jewellery

Post by dancingking » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 11:01 am

hey anybody here likes buying diamond for themselves? just want to find some like-minded people. where will you usually find good quality diamonds in singapore?

watanabe

Post by watanabe » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:41 pm

me too, i like to buy diamonds for myself.

used to buy from the big brands but recently wanted to get more bang for buck, so went to wholesaler for my latest acquisition. :)

that said, i will always love larry! for their lazares and superb service.

wholesalers - can be hit or miss. i educated myself first on pricescope before hunting down my stone. knew what i wanted, eg G colour and excellent cut, vs clarity etc. so it was easy for them to pick out something for me to choose. i looked at the stone itself, the fire and brilliance was beautiful. then i asked to see cert, ran through the proportions on holloway's cut adviser and it showed up very well too. so i basically grabbed a good deal!

from now onwards, i wouldn't buy diamonds any other way! the price i pay at retailers can get me a much bigger (sometimes better) rock at wholesalers.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:55 pm

tic....toc....tic....toc....

:devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:28 am

I agree that Pricescope is a good site. It will certainly educate you if you have the time to put into it. Keep in mind though, that it is primarily a diamond dealers site (and an American one), so if you turn up asking how to wipe your bum, you won't get much traction, as such :) Having got some clue, and asking very specific questions, you will be helped with invaluable 'trade' advice.

The 4C's are nothing, just a marketing exercise. There are certainly 20C's - depends how deep you want to get into it. I mean a stone could be top of all the '4Cs' but an absolute dog because of graining or fluorescence, and so on...

I get my rocks (or, er, rather the wife's rocks) FedExed in from Texas. Much better value for money than buying locally (certainly half the cost of ... what's the local jeweller called... SooKee... Pookee).

Forget Larry Jewellry. I don't want to pay several thousand in premium to be 'stroked' by some sales assistant for 2 minutes. sheesh!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:36 am

P.s. to SMS

Yes, good call. I'm thinking what you're thinking; smell it from half a mile away. Such gushing praise and concensus is invariably bullshit.

Let's see if they are brazen enough to follow up with the merchant name.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:47 am

At that point. I am reminded by a comment from the Seychelles Navy last week.

While most countries are primping around afraid to infringe the murdering Somalian pirates human rights, the Seychelles Navy put 10,000 50 Cal rounds through the engine block of a pirate boat.

No s***! :) Unsurprisingly, it worked.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:29 pm

More Affirmitive Action.... :)

Somali Pirates Engage U.S. Warship: Win Their 2nd Dumb Ass Award
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago ... award.html

mali-boo

Post by mali-boo » Sat, 10 Jul 2010 9:52 pm

Hi guys, i am new here! Did the thread die yet? :P
Anyways, no doubt no doubt. Most local jewellers does not exactly explain what buyers are actually paying for.
Other then 4C's, there are Heart & Arrows (H&A), Light leakage, painting/digging in girdles, HCA score & etc etc etc. All of which affects the outer appearance (fire & brilliance) and inner appearance (under a Heart & Arrow scope).
Personally, i would very much prefer a perfect H&A rather then almost-true H&A.
Also, to cover up the fact of selling a 'less perfect' stone, strong lightings are used in shops to 'bling' your eyes out.
Anyway, hope my 2cents worth of knowledge actually does help anyone who might even be reading at all :lol:

arora04

Post by arora04 » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:17 am

I posted few hours back..who deleted my post...very strange :(
KArora

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 4:58 am

arora04 wrote:I posted few hours back..who deleted my post...very strange :(
I did. You were advertising.