Singapore Expats Forum

Dependant pass or LTVP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
blacksheep
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 03 Mar 2010

Dependant pass or LTVP?

Postby blacksheep » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:38 pm

I am moving to singapore to work. I have just got my work pass approved.

My husband will be flying to singapore twice a month to visit me, and probably only stay for few days every time.

Should I apply Dependant pass or Long term visit pass for him?
What is the difference between them? How long is the longest stay allowed for LTVP?

Please advice!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:46 pm

Depending on where he's from, he will get between 30 & 90 days each time he enters on a social visit pass. If you wanted to, you could apply for a Dependent's Pass which is probably his best bet. That way, if for some reason, he were to have to stay in Singapore for a while (unemployment, etc.) there would be no problem.

I am assuming that you are at least on a Q or P pass and he is your legal husband and not common law or de facto.

blacksheep
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 03 Mar 2010

Postby blacksheep » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:52 pm

Yes, he is my husband by law.

I will start working in Singapore soon and I got my work pass P2 approved.
He is working in Hk now. So he will fly to Singapore twice a month to visit me. Probably just stay for few days, at max. a week, and then fly back to HK.

Does it mean that he can stay for 30 days every time he enters singapore with either LTVP and dependant pass?
(There is no information on no. of stay with each visa on MOM webiste!)

I am thinking to help him applying for dependant pass, so in case he can work in singapore in the future.

When applying dependant pass, does the govt required my husband to declare that he will continue to stay in Sing?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 8:24 pm

As he is your legal husband you cannot get him a Long Term Visit Pass.

You can only apply for a Dependent's Pass. He can stay here on a Dependent's Pass as long as your EP is valid as the DP is tied to your EP. A normal social visit pass (visa on arrival) is anywhere from 14 days to 90 days, depending on what country is passport is from - unless he is from a country that Singapore requires them to get a visa before arrival. Most western countries are a minimum of 30 days on arrival with places like the US, UK & Aust being given 90 day visas on entry if they ask for it.

He can come & go as he pleases while he's on a dependent's pass.

blacksheep
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 03 Mar 2010

Postby blacksheep » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As he is your legal husband you cannot get him a Long Term Visit Pass.


Do you mean that MOM will not approve Long term visit pass just because he is my legal husband?

But he will only come and go, never really stay over 1 week...

Is there any difference in procedure when applying for LTVP or dependant pass?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:15 am

Please go back and reread my first and second posts. :-|

How did you get an EP? :roll:

blacksheep
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 03 Mar 2010

Postby blacksheep » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:22 am

sorry for asking so many questions. As I am really not sure....

My singapore company applied the EP for me... they are asking me if they need to apply for my husband as well.

In fact, we are using HKSAR passport, so my husband actually can enter singapore without LTVP or dependant's pass, however, I don't know about the restriction on length of stay period and no. of entry. So it sounds safer to get him a visa.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 4:41 pm

blacksheep wrote:sorry for asking so many questions. As I am really not sure....

My singapore company applied the EP for me... they are asking me if they need to apply for my husband as well.

In fact, we are using HKSAR passport, so my husband actually can enter singapore without LTVP or dependant's pass, however, I don't know about the restriction on length of stay period and no. of entry. So it sounds safer to get him a visa.
Apply for the dependant pass, he can come and go as he pleases and it also allows him to seek employment and work here if he wants to apply for the Letter Of Consent from MOM.

If you take PR status or are a citizen, the dependant pass is revoked and he is issued with the LTVSP until he seeks PR status, though he is not allowed to work.

SMS:As he is your legal husband you cannot get him a Long Term Visit Pass.
This is not true..my wife took PR status before me, so the dependant pass was revoked and i was issued with the LTVSP until my PR approval ....Though he cannot get LTSVP while his wife is on EP unless he meets the financial criteria of around 400k and/or 7K a month.
, so he gets dependant pass.

My dependant pass was renewed every 6 months, then it went up to 1 year. I was travelling back and forwards the first 3 years and didn't want PR at the time, I was called in to explain why I didn't want PR at the time my wife and daughter took PR then I was issued with LTVSP so I guess its on a case by case scenario.

Anyone can apply for the LTSVP if they meet the criteria which is laid out on the ICA website under LTSVP.....but it doesn't allow you to work in Singapore

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 6:00 pm

ksl wrote:
blacksheep wrote:sorry for asking so many questions. As I am really not sure....

My singapore company applied the EP for me... they are asking me if they need to apply for my husband as well.

In fact, we are using HKSAR passport, so my husband actually can enter singapore without LTVP or dependant's pass, however, I don't know about the restriction on length of stay period and no. of entry. So it sounds safer to get him a visa.
Apply for the dependant pass, he can come and go as he pleases and it also allows him to seek employment and work here if he wants to apply for the Letter Of Consent from MOM.

If you take PR status or are a citizen, the dependant pass is revoked and he is issued with the LTVSP until he seeks PR status, though he is not allowed to work.

SMS:As he is your legal husband you cannot get him a Long Term Visit Pass.
This is not true..my wife took PR status before me, so the dependant pass was revoked and i was issued with the LTVSP until my PR approval ....Though he cannot get LTSVP while his wife is on EP unless he meets the financial criteria of around 400k and/or 7K a month.
, so he gets dependant pass.

My dependant pass was renewed every 6 months, then it went up to 1 year. I was travelling back and forwards the first 3 years and didn't want PR at the time, I was called in to explain why I didn't want PR at the time my wife and daughter took PR then I was issued with LTVSP so I guess its on a case by case scenario.

Anyone can apply for the LTSVP if they meet the criteria which is laid out on the ICA website under LTSVP.....but it doesn't allow you to work in Singapore


Why do you muddy up the waters so much? She has a hard enough problem without all the other crap in there she doesn't need nor need to understand.

She is going to be on a P2 pass. That already, eliminates the P1 income level. She is not a PR so an LTVP is out of the question. I based my answers on her data which was sufficient. Your situation was different as your wife was a PR. You did this exact same thing once before the whole criteria is different so different set of rules apply. PLEASE go and reread the relevant sites.

Her husband is not interested in working here in Singapore anyway. More useless information that is not relevant to our OP here. Oh, I took my information from the ICA website. When is the last time you bothered to look at it?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 7:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ksl wrote:
blacksheep wrote:sorry for asking so many questions. As I am really not sure....

My singapore company applied the EP for me... they are asking me if they need to apply for my husband as well.

In fact, we are using HKSAR passport, so my husband actually can enter singapore without LTVP or dependant's pass, however, I don't know about the restriction on length of stay period and no. of entry. So it sounds safer to get him a visa.
Apply for the dependant pass, he can come and go as he pleases and it also allows him to seek employment and work here if he wants to apply for the Letter Of Consent from MOM.

If you take PR status or are a citizen, the dependant pass is revoked and he is issued with the LTVSP until he seeks PR status, though he is not allowed to work.

SMS:As he is your legal husband you cannot get him a Long Term Visit Pass.
This is not true..my wife took PR status before me, so the dependant pass was revoked and i was issued with the LTVSP until my PR approval ....Though he cannot get LTSVP while his wife is on EP unless he meets the financial criteria of around 400k and/or 7K a month.
, so he gets dependant pass.

My dependant pass was renewed every 6 months, then it went up to 1 year. I was travelling back and forwards the first 3 years and didn't want PR at the time, I was called in to explain why I didn't want PR at the time my wife and daughter took PR then I was issued with LTVSP so I guess its on a case by case scenario.

Anyone can apply for the LTSVP if they meet the criteria which is laid out on the ICA website under LTSVP.....but it doesn't allow you to work in Singapore


Why do you muddy up the waters so much? She has a hard enough problem without all the other crap in there she doesn't need nor need to understand.

She is going to be on a P2 pass. That already, eliminates the P1 income level. She is not a PR so an LTVP is out of the question. I based my answers on her data which was sufficient. Your situation was different as your wife was a PR. You did this exact same thing once before the whole criteria is different so different set of rules apply. PLEASE go and reread the relevant sites.

Her husband is not interested in working here in Singapore anyway. More useless information that is not relevant to our OP here. Oh, I took my information from the ICA website. When is the last time you bothered to look at it?


What's your problem? Can't you damn read yourself, did i not write she must apply for the dependant pass! The information is general for all and i did check the ICA website before posting...the fact is its no different today than it was when i came...she still needs the dependant pass.

What kind of signal are you sending to others that read this thread. when you come out with silly remarks like you did which is totally wrong and misleading for others.

Get it right or don't bother at all, you are muddying the waters dear chap by thinking with blinkers on, their are many here on EP that are married and have a right to know, what is right and wrong....and what you wrote was bad information for all others that read this thread. Post your link where it says
SMS:As he is your legal husband you cannot get him a Long Term Visit Pass.
and take something for the PMS 8-)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 8:30 pm

I'll hold your hand okay..... :-|

This is from the MOM site:
Passes for Family Members

Employment Pass holders can apply for the Dependant's Pass and/or Long-Term Visit Pass for their family members.

Dependant's Pass


Both P and Q1 Pass holders can apply for a Dependant's Pass for their:

* Spouse (her only option for a long term pass is here in her context)
* Unmarried or legally adopted children under 21 years of age, including newborns


Long-Term Visit Pass

P Pass holders can also apply for a Long-Term Visit Pass for their:

* Common law spouse (By virtue of this being noted here, then Spouse under dependent's pass means legal spouse)
* Unmarried daughters above 21 years of age
* Handicapped children
* Step-children
* Parents/parents-in-law

This means a P pass holder (either P1 or P2) can apply for LTVP only if it's an unmarried common law spouse. If they are married legally, they have to apply for a Dependent's Pass.


Now, if you go to the ICA site you will notice at the moment (8:15pm) that the damn thing is down. :x

If you go to the section for VISITORS, you will note that there are NO LTVP options for the OP to apply for a LTVP for the spouse. That is because if the OP is on a Employment Pass, they must use the MOM for the granting of LTVP's or Dependents Passes. It's only Visitor's that go through the ICA site usually coming here to go to School, Training, Looking for work, and several other things that do not apply to the OP's case at all as she is not a visitor but an Employment Pass holder. In addition she is already confused. Therefore, I am trying to give her only the relevant information to "her" case with as little confusing BS as possible.

PMS? Not sure which is worse, that or Baron's. :P
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 05 Mar 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

blacksheep
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 03 Mar 2010

Postby blacksheep » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks sundaymorningstaple & ksl for your kind advices.

As my husband will not come staying in Singapore frequently, do you think that it would make him difficult to get his dependant pass renew? (should renew in 6 months....right?)

Also, does he need body check before he get the dependant pass? :???:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Mar 2010 11:56 pm

His dependent's pass will run concurrently with your Employment Pass, expiring and renewal on the same day as your EP. Only an LTVP is at 6 months intervals (or other set intervals - could be 90 days).

Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have Dependent' Passes if you had to renew them as well at 6 month intervals. I'm not sure about medicals for DP's as I've never had any experience there.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Mar 2010 12:20 am

ksl, the reason I jumped in your case is the following:

This is not true..my wife took PR status before me, so the dependant pass was revoked and i was issued with the LTVSP until my PR approval ....Though he cannot get LTSVP while his wife is on EP unless he meets the financial criteria of around 400k and/or 7K a month. Irrelevant in this scenario.
, so he gets dependant pass.

My dependant pass was renewed every 6 months, then it went up to 1 year. I was travelling back and forwards the first 3 years and didn't want PR at the time, I was called in to explain why I didn't want PR at the time my wife and daughter took PR then I was issued with LTVSP so I guess its on a case by case scenario.

It's not a case by case scenario - you had a dependent's pass until you wife got PR after that it was canceled and you were given an LTVP instead as that is all you are allowed if you don't take up PR but your legal spouse IS a PR. You have contradicted yourself in the first paragraph with the second paragraph. You are only allowed to be on a Dependents Pass while the spouse is on an EP. Once PR is taken up, the spouse has two choices. PR or LTVP. Why keep making it difficult by contradicting yourself.

Anyone can apply for the LTSVP if they meet the criteria which is laid out on the ICA website under LTSVP.....but it doesn't allow you to work in Singapore


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests