Singapore Expats Forum

Is there a demand for energy saving LED light products?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

home_devices

Is there a demand for energy saving LED light products?

Postby home_devices » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 8:32 pm

I have looked at lighting sections of shops n i have not come across LED lights. It is said to be longer lasting, energy saving, cost saving n 'green'. So how come it is not widely available?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Is there a demand for energy saving LED light products?

Postby Splatted » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 9:04 pm

home_devices wrote:I have looked at lighting sections of shops n i have not come across LED lights. It is said to be longer lasting, energy saving, cost saving n 'green'. So how come it is not widely available?

They're rather expensive.

Here in Australia a single recessed LED ceiling downlight can set you back $16, versus standard downlights, 6 for $8.

I'm sure someone stocks them in Singapore, despite the cost.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:55 am

coz there's no demand for it really, mostly down to cost. let's say 10 year ago when energy saving bulbs were introduce, they were expensive and there's not a long up take. now the prices are much lower and more people are using it.

if the ROI is not good, singaporean wont use/buy it.

home_devices

Postby home_devices » Wed, 10 Mar 2010 8:04 pm

Splatted wrote:
home_devices wrote:I have looked at lighting sections of shops n i have not come across LED lights. It is said to be longer lasting, energy saving, cost saving n 'green'. So how come it is not widely available?

Here in Australia a single recessed LED ceiling downlight can set you back $16, versus standard downlights, 6 for $8.

$16? Is that A$16? It is available in sg for around S$20. So that would be about right. Are they popular in Australia?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:05 am

home_devices wrote:
Splatted wrote:

$16? Is that A$16? It is available in sg for around S$20. So that would be about right. Are they popular in Australia?

Yes, I was quoting Australian dollars.

From what I can tell, they're not that popular. Most businesses and restaurants that are looking to save money on lighting costs go for the standard bayonet fluorescent, or screw-type fluorescent globes that fit into the traditional light globe socket.

These have dropped in price a lot.

Having said that, I wouldn't know what people are buying for personal use for the home. They 'might' be popular. I wouldn't know unless I was involved in this retail line.

Personally speaking... $16 for a single LED light, is a bit rich. It's 12x the cost of standard downlights, so I could never justify spending $100's in order to save a few dollar.

The greater bulk of my electricity bill would consist of washing machine & dryer usage, fridge and PC.

Having used the fluorescent globes in the past, before moving to this property that uses downlights, I have not noticed a difference in my eletricity bill at all, regardless of whether energy saving globes are used or not

home_devices

Postby home_devices » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 2:12 am

LED light is less damaging on furniture n fittings as there is less radiation.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Mar 2010 7:00 am

home_devices wrote:LED light is less damaging on furniture n fittings as there is less radiation.

That might be relevant if you don't have any windows in the house so no sunlight gets into the house. Otherwise, the couple of hours in the evening would be negligible compared to the damage by sunlight. Bit flawed that, so you will have to find some other method of advertising that doesn't push my buttons and get you locked out of your account. - moderator :wink:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 4:14 pm

home_devices wrote:_________________
http://jxxxxxxmyweb.sg

You might want to delete your url from your signature, or risk the whole thread going *poof*. The owners of this forum don't really like links to other real-estate sites advertised on their site..

chianghs

LED light and solar garden light.

Postby chianghs » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 6:03 pm

Please take a look at this web site www.sunglow-solar-green-light.com. [/url]