Singapore Expats

still is "singaporeans speak singlish"

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:36 pm

breedmon wrote:Haha, the day an Indian man speaks better English than a Singaporean is the day I eat my curry without potatoes. And I always eat my curry with potatoes for your information.
That was implied and therefore unnecessary.

Nationality is hardly the issue when it come to speaking English well, it's experience and education.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:59 pm

breedmon wrote:
prkravi wrote:So that's your Grief!! 2 Million Immigrants. Now the Cat is out of the bag... When will you come over this insecurity??
I can see your knees wobble now :cool:

And your arguement about First Language Second Language is all just nothing but a pile of excuses...from where I come, we speak and write atleast 2 native dialects PLUS comprehensible English

So is the case with most Europeans... :P
As with most Indians, I don't even understand what you are driving at because your English is so poor. Haha.
Any real native speaker would have understood that just fine. It was very obvious what she was getting at. :roll:
breedmon wrote:Indians write/speak comprehensible English? Last time I checked most of the country was living in slums and only the upper class can write some broken English but even they are not fluent in Eng by any means.

What a joke. Does April's fool come early this year?
For someone who's hellbent on belittling someone else's English, you really ought to learn how to use basic tenses.

It would also be advisable to learn the difference between hissy and prissy:
breedmon wrote:Having a prissy fit?
:lol:

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 6:03 pm

"Driving at" is correct. So are the tenses. Wrong on both counts but don't give up, keep barking! :roll:
Last edited by breedmon on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 6:15 pm

JR8 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote: How arrogant! :shock:
Just can't believe my eyes... :???: You say you are educated???
Your first taster of the ugly side. Expect a lot more.

He is responsible only for his own behaviour and words. Or is he Ambassador of Singapore and represents this country? :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 6:56 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote: How arrogant! :shock:
Just can't believe my eyes... :???: You say you are educated???
Your first taster of the ugly side. Expect a lot more.

He is responsible only for his own behaviour and words. Or is he Ambassador of Singapore and represents this country? :P
Oh Eau :)

Trolls routinely appear here and start getting stuck into the foreigners (as you will see if you stick around). Their views are often reflective of the prejudices that exist within wider SGn society, that you will come to recognise in day to day life here.

A troll might be just one poster, but the script being played out is a very familiar one indeed.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 7:20 pm

Actually, this particular troll is on a return engagement under a new nick as the other nick was eventually banned. We toy with them for a while as long as they don't resort to foul language and racist comments (which our friend is currently bordering on in regards to body odours and other discriptives of certain races). It's actually only a matter of time and he knows it as well and is seeing just how far he can push the OB markers before it all locks up. :-|

But it does give us a diversion occasionally.

One the flip side, we have some very intelligent local members of this board who are a credit to this country. For that matter they would be a credit to any country. Two who readily come to mind are Wind in my Hair & EV-Disinfection another who is an ex-Singaporean is a wealth of knowledge about this country from the bureaucratic side. While his English is not the Queen's English (neither is mine!), his depth of knowledge deep. I am, of course, referring to Mad Scientist.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 7:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, this particular troll is on a return engagement under a new nick as the other nick was eventually banned. We toy with them for a while as long as they don't resort to foul language and racist comments (which our friend is currently bordering on in regards to body odours and other discriptives of certain races). It's actually only a matter of time and he knows it as well and is seeing just how far he can push the OB markers before it all locks up. :-|

But it does give us a diversion occasionally.

One the flip side, we have some very intelligent local members of this board who are a credit to this country. For that matter they would be a credit to any country. Two who readily come to mind are Wind in my Hair & EV-Disinfection another who is an ex-Singaporean is a wealth of knowledge about this country from the bureaucratic side. While his English is not the Queen's English (neither is mine!), his depth of knowledge deep. I am, of course, referring to Mad Scientist.
Sure I don't believe all Singaporean are like him. :wink: He's particularly ignorant. Well, you can find trolls in every country.

I'm really happy to find this forum. Yeah, I noticed the posts of WIMH. As for MS, I'm quite impressed by his depth of knowledge. I believe I can learn a lot from this forum and from you guys (incl. JR8 :P ).

:)

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 7:39 pm

JR8 wrote:
Eau2011 wrote:
JR8 wrote: Your first taster of the ugly side. Expect a lot more.

Oh Eau :)

Trolls routinely appear here and start getting stuck into the foreigners (as you will see if you stick around). Their views are often reflective of the prejudices that exist within wider SGn society, that you will come to recognise in day to day life here.

A troll might be just one poster, but the script being played out is a very familiar one indeed.
....I have to admit you are right....

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 8:22 pm

Eau2011 wrote: Yeah, I noticed the posts of WIMH. As for MS, I'm quite impressed by his depth of knowledge.
MS isn't actually naturally-born Singaporean. EV-D is local and like WIMH, quite ok with having a healthy and not to mention lively/ "bordering on offensive but still very much endearing like how much we tease about SMS being old" type of discussions with things we don't like about Singapore. It's those frothing at the mouth types that are really annoying.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 9:23 pm

[quote="JR8"Image[/quote]

A bong. A broad. Just need a fuzzy rug and head music and we'll soon be doing the horizontal shuffle.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 9:31 pm

It would have to be some damned powderful herb man! :D

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:00 pm

breedmon wrote:"Driving at" is correct. So are the tenses. Wrong on both counts but don't give up, keep barking! :roll:
Yes, I know "driving at" is correct. I found it ironic that you chose to use the American form of that idiom given your BBC English education and all. You didn't even understand the John Wayne reference, for goodness sake. I can only guess you picked up the idiom from TV then...

Truth be told, I couldn't give a brass wazzoo about your English (I still think your tense was awkward though). My issue was with your racist and condescending attitude towards Prkavi. Your drivel about the excellent standard of English in Singapore was laughable at best. However, the comments you made about India and her citizens were downright offensive and out of line.

It always amazes me that people like yourself, with all your chest-beating nationalism, are so ignorant of the fact that other people should feel proud of where they come from too. Sadly, I don't think you'll learn that from a BBC programme either...

breedmon

Post by breedmon » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 3:53 pm

I did not understand the John Wayne reference? Sounds like you are too dumb to understand my reply. All Sporeans speaking gd English? That is the exact opposite of what I wrote...

Wrong on both counts... again.

BBC English education? Haha, balls.
Last edited by breedmon on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 4:15 pm

k1w1 wrote:
breedmon wrote:"Driving at" is correct. So are the tenses. Wrong on both counts but don't give up, keep barking! :roll:
Yes, I know "driving at" is correct. I found it ironic that you chose to use the American form of that idiom given your BBC English education and all. You didn't even understand the John Wayne reference, for goodness sake. I can only guess you picked up the idiom from TV then...

Truth be told, I couldn't give a brass wazzoo about your English (I still think your tense was awkward though). My issue was with your racist and condescending attitude towards Prkavi. Your drivel about the excellent standard of English in Singapore was laughable at best. However, the comments you made about India and her citizens were downright offensive and out of line. It always amazes me that people like yourself, with all your chest-beating nationalism, are so ignorant of the fact that other people should feel proud of where they come from too. Sadly, I don't think you'll learn that from a BBC programme either...
Yeah, if everybody is like him, the multicultural society in Singapore would not function.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Feb 2011 4:37 pm

Eau2011 wrote:
Yeah, if everybody is like him, the multicultural society in Singapore would not function.
Eau2011,

It doesn't function. It never has. It's just like lip gloss, looks pretty from a distance but upon closer inspection, behind those glossy lips are a lot of rotten teeth and bad breath. Unfortunately, most of it comes from the majority race which is sad because there are some very nice people here as well. Instead of magnanimous, some of them are a malignant tumors eating away at the core fabric of this nation, hidden beneath the glossy veneer that the foreigners are presented with. Occasionally, ones like breedmon, surface to give the world a glimpse of what else this country is made of. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers