Singapore Expats

Relocating - best area for new mums and new babies

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Gayle

Relocating - best area for new mums and new babies

Post by Gayle » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:05 am

Hi,

We are currently in the infancy of our relocation. I have a 7mth old and do not plan to work when I arrive.

I am looking for some advice on areas to live. We want a family oriented area. I am Australian who has resided in the UK for many years but am now in the states married to an American. We will probably move to Aust after our Singapore stint so I suspect we would prefer an area with Aussi schools (or British).

Its difficult to chose an area based on a map and a few blogs. We have read about Holland Village but I am concerned it may not be family friendly. Tanglin appears to have playgroups etc.......

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

hbw65
Regular
Regular

Post by hbw65 » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:17 am

I think everyone in Singapore is great for families. I think if you want to make instant friends and have community, then i would look for larger condo developments that have all the amenities etc...

We live in Tanglin/Upper Orchard area and love it. We are by Tanglin Mall so there are tons of moms and strollers everywhere.

you'll find that everyone will tell you that where they live is the best.

I would suggest you doing a scouting tour of the different areas before heading out with your estate agent. That way, you can see what's in the area: things within walking distance or if you need a car. Your estate agent can then focus in on properties in those specific areas.

samsarah

Post by samsarah » Fri, 12 Mar 2010 1:11 am

YOu can consider the serangoon area where the Australian school is located. They are many expats living in that area too. The other International School nearby are Stamford School and a couple of pre-schools in the vicinity too