Singapore Expats

Things I don't like about Singapore

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
adione
Regular
Regular

Post by adione » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:37 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsTGScquEA8

italian premier as well
that's not the prime minister,
there're a lot of fake video with fake-Berlusconi:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... woman&aq=0

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Post by carlsum1986 » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 1:31 pm

adione wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsTGScquEA8

italian premier as well
that's not the prime minister,
there're a lot of fake video with fake-Berlusconi:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... woman&aq=0
then who are those ppl in the video?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 4:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Which one do you prefer to straddle? The throbbing Harley or the 12K RPM rice burners? :devil:
Not a bike gal myself. I prefer jet fuel - Lightning or the new Sukhoi T-50 would be my choice :cool:

Dare!

Post by Dare! » Tue, 05 Oct 2010 10:54 pm

Humid weather!!
Look around. And don't get close to people who make you suffer - Paulo Coelho

treacle_sponge

Post by treacle_sponge » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 8:35 pm

JayCee wrote:One thing I really hate about Singapore is the amount of people with bad hygiene, particularly in my office :x

SMS, I gather that you work in HR, are there any guidelines that you know of regarding this in Singapore? It's great that Singapore is multiracial, multicultural etc... and the differences between us all are great and should be celebrated. However, it's not so great when you're sat next to a guy who smells like a sumo wrestler's jockstrap because he hasn't bathed all week and you don't know how to approach the subject for fear of it being twisted into a 'race' issue when race is nothing to do with it
Hi
This is my first post, so bear with me. Just like to point out, that it isn't a particularly Singaporean thing, the amount of people with bad hygiene. The great unwashed also exists in the UK (and perhaps every country), and there is nothing more offputting than standing behind/in front of an unwashed person in the queue, or sitting next to them on the bus. More often than not, they are also morbidly obese, so the reek is definitely more pronounced.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 9:50 pm

treacle_sponge wrote:
JayCee wrote:One thing I really hate about Singapore is the amount of people with bad hygiene, particularly in my office :x

SMS, I gather that you work in HR, are there any guidelines that you know of regarding this in Singapore? It's great that Singapore is multiracial, multicultural etc... and the differences between us all are great and should be celebrated. However, it's not so great when you're sat next to a guy who smells like a sumo wrestler's jockstrap because he hasn't bathed all week and you don't know how to approach the subject for fear of it being twisted into a 'race' issue when race is nothing to do with it
Hi
This is my first post, so bear with me. Just like to point out, that it isn't a particularly Singaporean thing, the amount of people with bad hygiene. The great unwashed also exists in the UK (and perhaps every country), and there is nothing more offputting than standing behind/in front of an unwashed person in the queue, or sitting next to them on the bus. More often than not, they are also morbidly obese, so the reek is definitely more pronounced.
I beg to differ...I've travelled on public transit and been amongst the 'locals' in a good many countries (including the UK) but nowhere have I encountered the BO at the same rate as I have here. I'd be willing to allow that it has a lot to do with the weather here, but there is a certain demographic among which it is particularly common... And I don't think it's a race thing either, I think it's a) failing to wash the body and/or clothes and b) wearing clothing inappropriate to the weather.

treacle_sponge

Post by treacle_sponge » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:32 pm

poodlek wrote: I beg to differ...I've travelled on public transit and been amongst the 'locals' in a good many countries (including the UK) but nowhere have I encountered the BO at the same rate as I have here. I'd be willing to allow that it has a lot to do with the weather here, but there is a certain demographic among which it is particularly common... And I don't think it's a race thing either, I think it's a) failing to wash the body and/or clothes and b) wearing clothing inappropriate to the weather.
Indeed :D I'm not discounting anyone's experiences, nor comparing degrees of offensiveness, merely saying that instances of bad hygiene is not an exclusive Singaporean domain. I remember having to stand on the bus in Singapore, and having the misfortune to be short (I'm 5'4") I was at armpit height to the tall Sikh national serviceman next to me. He was still in uniform, and pungent does not quite describe the smell, more nose blistering, and I don't think I was able to smell anything else after that for a few hours.
On the other hand, I was stood next to an err...horizontally challenged white man at the local supermarket (UK), and it was again an undescribable smell, a combination of grease, body odour, unwashed hair and clothes and FEET! <vomit> It's terrible when you can't revert to mouth breathing because you really don't want to breathe in the air unfiltered, so I was slightly asphyxiated by the time I managed to get past him (yes, he was that big ). :o

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Sat, 30 Oct 2010 7:57 am

Things that make you go… :x

I was at a bus stop today and a car pulls right infront of the bus to let people out……. I mean why would you pull in front of bus at a bus stop?ddn’t it occur to them its illegal, dangerous and most of all, irrititating to everyone around wanting to either get on or off the bus?

So I arrive to work nice and early @ 8am and theres a wretched smell wreaking in the office… I get closer to my desk and what do I see? Someone eating some sort of really spicy chilli fried noodle… for breakfast of all times?

Everytime I visit the 7eleven or pump up gas at the petrol station, I get the counter girl asking me whether I want to by shampoo or some other product on the counter… so irritating…. If I wanted to buy shampoo, I would have gone to the pharmacy or coldstorage…. same applies to the people are KFC….. even after agreeing to upgrade from a 2 piece to 3 piece combo, they ask me if I want one of those custard tarts as well…..ish……

walking…. why do people walk so slow here? Is it the flip flop slippers that hold them up? or maybe the happy meal they're munching away at while playing with the i-phone why chatting to their …..

thats my rant for the week! :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:36 pm

:) sorry for me smiling, but your timing is just perfect. Typically it is after 1-1.5y of living here when the level of frustration for such things is just sufficient to surface.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:20 am

poodlek wrote:I beg to differ...I've travelled on public transit and been amongst the 'locals' in a good many countries (including the UK) but nowhere have I encountered the BO at the same rate as I have here. I'd be willing to allow that it has a lot to do with the weather here, but there is a certain demographic among which it is particularly common... And I don't think it's a race thing either, I think it's a) failing to wash the body and/or clothes and b) wearing clothing inappropriate to the weather.
I guess you hanen't spent much time in France?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:46 am

Here's one to set the cat amongst the pigeons - Apparently in 2007 Singaporean pedestrians were measured as the - wait for it ..... drum roll .... the Fastest Pedestrians in the World

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:50 am

carteki wrote:Here's one to set the cat amongst the pigeons - Apparently in 2007 Singaporean pedestrians were measured as the - wait for it ..... drum roll .... the Fastest Pedestrians in the World
Could it be possible that since the subjects were timed the Singaporeans didn't want to get left behind?

BA-DUMP-BUMP.

I find that odd since I find them slow and hearing stories from HK and Tokyo...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:23 pm

I found them very slow. I guess all depends on the measurement methodology. A TV screen, lucky draw or food court nearby can probably work better then nitro mix for a car engine.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:34 pm

Clearly the measurement methodology is to be questioned. You gotta have the same values for parameters for all measurements to make comparisons valid. :lol:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:45 pm

What you forgot to add was the fact that there was a big sign down the street proclaiming free Hello Kitty dolls. Sure to get the most slug-like of 'em into high gear! :P

I wonder if they check the NRIC's of the people being measured to see if they were, in fact, Singaporeans?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers