Singapore Expats

Things I don't like about Singapore

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
AndyD
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyD » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 1:31 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:It is not a tip. It is a 'service charge' for serving the food you bought and the employees never see any of it. Ask them. The restaurant collects GST on it and pays it to the gahmen. They must declare the service charge as revenue on their corporate income tax forms.
I hate this – In Singapore are you allowed to cross this out and pay the bill minus 10%, and tip in cash if you want to???

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 01 Sep 2010 1:54 pm

AndyD wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:It is not a tip. It is a 'service charge' for serving the food you bought and the employees never see any of it. Ask them. The restaurant collects GST on it and pays it to the gahmen. They must declare the service charge as revenue on their corporate income tax forms.
I hate this – In Singapore are you allowed to cross this out and pay the bill minus 10%, and tip in cash if you want to???
This I don't know but different places may have some different internal regulations so your tip may not go where suppose to. We tipped one guy in the Fullerton's Town restaurant for truly outstanding service and he was clearly scared.

sharpz

Post by sharpz » Mon, 06 Sep 2010 1:27 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:
painkillerPink wrote: <snip>

2) Taxi drivers
Local driver (from the airport): Where to?
Foreigner: Amara hotel, please.
Local driver: How do you want to go there?
Foreigner: :o

<snip>

5) Yep, deodorants were not commonly found until about five years ago. No, they've never heard of antiperspirant either.
For point 2 above, I used to say whichever is the fastest way. Before I moved here, I'd often come here for work trips and it never failed to amuse me whenever taxi drivers in the airport asked me that question. I'll just say through the fastest route possible. :P

For point 5 above, I often carry a small container which has green balm (like tiger balm). I dab a lil bit of this on the tip of my nose so I can survive those long MRT or bus rides with people who never heard of deodorants/antiperspirant. :)
6) Took out a thick street directory and ask us to point out where it is.
Me and my friend: :o

7) Google maps on Iphone saved the day -_-|||
"I rather fail spectacularly than to succeed minimally." - Lex Luthor

jshin12

Post by jshin12 » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:21 am

Hi all, reading through the thread with a big smile on my face. I find very few redeeming qualities about Singapore. The body odor is atrocious, people are incredibly rude, just a general hell hole. I work at ORQ and am very suprised when anyone uses soap after visiting the men's room. This includes coming out of the stalls, not the urinals.

Food Paradise?!?!... you must be joking. The food here is terrible. The very few times I've enjoyed a meal I've paid a fortune. Hawker center, like eating out of a used toilet. Are the tables/seats ever truly clean? Chicken rice must be the most overhyped dish ever. Pre-cooked, room temperature, boiled chicken over rice with 1-2 slices of cucumber. You call this your national dish, shameful. And pls, close your damn mouth when you chew. Seems like a national pastime to talk right after shoving food into your mouths.

Cleanliness, does anyone practice general hygiene? Some of the homeless in NY smell about the same. These people sleep on the streets, you have access to a shower, think about it. The streets are littered with garbage in the mornings. I understand the use of cheap labor, but this negates personal responsibility to throw away your own garbage? I see older aged 60+ grandfathers and grandmothers working at food courts cleaning up after teenagers and young adults. This country/city-state (whatever the F you call it) teaches no respect for their elders.

Singapore blows, can't wait to get back to NY. [-o<

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:32 am

dude, you could have considered using tact...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

hey_smile

Post by hey_smile » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 12:23 pm

I sure don't know who you're mixing with in Singapore lately... And whoever said chicken rice is a national dish? Streets littered with garbage?
Get your facts right first, and don't over-exaggerate here.
jshin12 wrote:Hi all, reading through the thread with a big smile on my face. I find very few redeeming qualities about Singapore. The body odor is atrocious, people are incredibly rude, just a general hell hole. I work at ORQ and am very suprised when anyone uses soap after visiting the men's room. This includes coming out of the stalls, not the urinals.

Food Paradise?!?!... you must be joking. The food here is terrible. The very few times I've enjoyed a meal I've paid a fortune. Hawker center, like eating out of a used toilet. Are the tables/seats ever truly clean? Chicken rice must be the most overhyped dish ever. Pre-cooked, room temperature, boiled chicken over rice with 1-2 slices of cucumber. You call this your national dish, shameful. And pls, close your damn mouth when you chew. Seems like a national pastime to talk right after shoving food into your mouths.

Cleanliness, does anyone practice general hygiene? Some of the homeless in NY smell about the same. These people sleep on the streets, you have access to a shower, think about it. The streets are littered with garbage in the mornings. I understand the use of cheap labor, but this negates personal responsibility to throw away your own garbage? I see older aged 60+ grandfathers and grandmothers working at food courts cleaning up after teenagers and young adults. This country/city-state (whatever the F you call it) teaches no respect for their elders.

Singapore blows, can't wait to get back to NY. [-o<

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by dazzlebabe » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 1:06 pm

[-o< Dear Singapore Wind, Please Give a Big Singapore Blow to send jshin12 back to NY [-o<
Just me

DazzleBabe

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 3:37 pm

hey_smile,

Actually, everybody knows that Chicken Rice is the national dish. Hell, even on BlogTV last night, the presenters said the same thing as well. :P

And as far as the streets not being littered? You obviously don't live in an HDB estate then do you. If you do, you must be a late sleeper. I suggest you get up ANY morning around 4:30 and go down to the void deck/lift lobby and have a look. Or for that matter, just get out at the Clementi Bus stop at the Clementi MRT station any morning around 6:30~7:00am, you will change your tune in a hurry. It's the army of Blangladeshi workers who pick up after the locals that makes the country sparkle. If left to locals to clean up behind themselves, they would be up to their a***s in garbage within 3 days. And that's not exaggeration either. You have bought into the papclaptrap. You need to get out and have a look with your own eyes. :-|

But, yeah, would have to agree with dazzlebabe!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hey_smile

Post by hey_smile » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 3:50 pm

Nopes, sorry i've been here 13 years never heard of chicken rice as the national dish, so this is new for me... I only know the Singapore Bee Hoon possibly... since I could find this dish overseas..

As for the streets being littered, yes I do stay in HDB and wake up early sometimes... and the streets don't get littered on my area, they're not sparkling clean either of course. Who's your MP? But I must agree at the 7 month... it's a different story. And yes I am aware the Banglas do come and clean up the place... What I meant is don't exaggerate... The streets are not as dirty as some places in the world... gosh u should see the streets where I grew up... :P

Oh btw I stay in tampines.... and I stayed in Clementi too... you can't compare... maybe Mah Bow Tan's area different :P
sundaymorningstaple wrote:hey_smile,

Actually, everybody knows that Chicken Rice is the national dish. Hell, even on BlogTV last night, the presenters said the same thing as well. :P

And as far as the streets not being littered? You obviously don't live in an HDB estate then do you. If you do, you must be a late sleeper. I suggest you get up ANY morning around 4:30 and go down to the void deck/lift lobby and have a look. Or for that matter, just get out at the Clementi Bus stop at the Clementi MRT station any morning around 6:30~7:00am, you will change your tune in a hurry. It's the army of Blangladeshi workers who pick up after the locals that makes the country sparkle. If left to locals to clean up behind themselves, they would be up to their a***s in garbage within 3 days. And that's not exaggeration either. You have bought into the papclaptrap. You need to get out and have a look with your own eyes. :-|

But, yeah, would have to agree with dazzlebabe!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 4:02 pm

hey_smile wrote:Nopes, sorry i've been here 13 years never heard of chicken rice as the national dish, so this is new for me... I only know the Singapore Bee Hoon possibly... since I could find this dish overseas..
singapore national dish "chicken rice" :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hey_smile

Post by hey_smile » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 6:10 pm

Gosh, u can find chicken rice everywhere as long there's chinese...
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
hey_smile wrote:Nopes, sorry i've been here 13 years never heard of chicken rice as the national dish, so this is new for me... I only know the Singapore Bee Hoon possibly... since I could find this dish overseas..
singapore national dish "chicken rice" :mrgreen:

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 6:20 pm

I hate chicken rice and ignorant c-words who scratch your face with their open umbrella spokes as they pass by on sunny days. And (the same, mostly) people who don't share the sidewalk. That is all.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 7:08 pm

Why do you....hate!? :)... chicken rice? It is not a dish of the kings and queens but is reasonably edible. Not that I would eat it having a bit broader choice.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 7:23 pm

x9200 wrote:Why do you....hate!? :)... chicken rice? It is not a dish of the kings and queens but is reasonably edible. Not that I would eat it having a bit broader choice.
To be fair, I only ate it once. And part of my problem with it was my expectation that it would be hot, juicy rotisserie chicken with a tasty sauce like at Swiss Chalet back home. What I got was cold, rubbery pieces of chicken, no skin, in a sugary, oily but very bland sauce and some plain white rice. To me, it was disgusting. With all the choices here, I'm sure I won't be tempted to give it a second go.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Sep 2010 7:33 pm

Hmmm...had only twice or so some duck rice (guess not that different from the chicken) and it was pretty much as per your initial expectations (perhaps except the sauce).