Singapore Expats Forum

Is it worth checking out Pulau Ubin?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

aster
Manager
Manager

Is it worth checking out Pulau Ubin?

Postby aster » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:54 am

Been to Changi Village already so this would be just a trip to check out the island itself. Worthwhile or waste of time?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Is it worth checking out Pulau Ubin?

Postby ksl » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:23 pm

aster wrote:Been to Changi Village already so this would be just a trip to check out the island itself. Worthwhile or waste of time?
I've been here 5 years and I'm still asking myself the same question. Did you visit Changi Chapel Museum? http://www.changimuseum.com/Home.aspx
Kranji War Cemetery is also a reminder of how many sacrificed their lives in this part of the world. The box at Fort Canning is also worth a visit for a step back in time quite a few pictures of old Singapore back in Raffles day.

I was reading a little about it, and it appears to be a quite a rubbish tip, so I would also appreciate some feedback.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:32 pm

rent a mountain bike. go around rough road, check out quarries, mangrove forests of chek jawa, and a rural setting still in singapore. finish with a meal in the eateries near the jetty.

if that ain't your thing, it's a waste of time.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 1:29 pm

We had gone to Changi Beach and were having a casual stroll and noticed the jetty there. Upon enquiring we learnt that the bumboat to Pulao Ubin takes like 10 mins to reach there and costs 2.5$ per trip per person. There is also another ferry for Perangakan, which is in Malaysia and that costs like 10$ per trip.

We decided to check out Pulao Ubin and went there it was already 6 pm so most of the cycle renting places were closing already. We just had a short walk on the island and noticed how different it was from rest of Singapore. It could have been a village in India, Malaysia, Thailand or anywhere!. We watched the sunset and came back by 7:30 pm

I would say the bumboat ride itself is worth it, much better that the Singapore river cruise rip-off :D. Once you reach there, the only thing you could do is probably cycling and mountain climbing.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 1:39 pm

it's only disappointing that some assholes would go have a picnic, drink, have the time of their lives and then leave their garbage there :x

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 3:30 pm

nakatago wrote:it's only disappointing that some assholes would go have a picnic, drink, have the time of their lives and then leave their garbage there :x

I would be surprised if they don't.

x9200

Re: Is it worth checking out Pulau Ubin?

Postby x9200 » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 3:32 pm

aster wrote:Been to Changi Village already so this would be just a trip to check out the island itself. Worthwhile or waste of time?

Depends on your preferences (surprise! :P ). If you like to visit some local nature park then it is worth. Similar type of entertainment.

therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 5:01 pm

what you will see is how it's look like when Singapore in 70s.
If you are looking for shopping. Don't waste your trip.

Power is generated by power generator.
Monkey , if you can spot them.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:24 pm

Have seen enough monkeys (the small, annoying, thieving type) on Sentosa at Fort Siloso a few years back. Funnily enough I didn't spot them the last time around some months ago...

As for Pulau Ubin, I hate to be blunt but will getting a cold beer there be a problem, or are there a few bars open for business? I don't mind it being a place for locals located off the beaten track if that's the only place to grab a big bottle...

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:26 pm

aster wrote:Have seen enough monkeys (the small, annoying, thieving type) on Sentosa at Fort Siloso a few years back. Funnily enough I didn't spot them the last time around some months ago...

As for Pulau Ubin, I hate to be blunt but will getting a cold beer there be a problem, or are there a few bars open for business? I don't mind it being a place for locals located off the beaten track if that's the only place to grab a big bottle...

the assholes who litter there usually take their brewskies with them into the island. there aren't visible stores in the trails but you may try at the eateries by the jetty and bike rental shops.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:44 pm

I would prefer to just have a beer locally, and if I were to bring 2-3 me then I would definitely make sure that there was no trash left behind. Amazing that people who take the effort to get to this island can be so nasty as to leave a bad impression behind them...

byn
Regular
Regular

Postby byn » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 1:37 am

I will be checking out Ubin in two weeks time, looking forward... :)

DaisyRae
Regular
Regular

Postby DaisyRae » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 5:55 pm

Pulau Ubin is actually a fun and laidback place to go to especially when you're an outdoors type of person and you don't mind getting dirty, sweaty and sunbathed. You must come prepared with sunblock, water bottles, towel and spare shirt. =)
Hindsight is always 20/20.

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 7:01 pm

DaisyRae wrote:Pulau Ubin is actually a fun and laidback place to go to especially when you're an outdoors type of person and you don't mind getting dirty, sweaty and sunbathed.

None of this matters unless you run out of beer. :) I am definitely going to give the small island a try once El Nino stops being a nuisance...

DaisyRae
Regular
Regular

Postby DaisyRae » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:24 pm

aster wrote:
DaisyRae wrote:Pulau Ubin is actually a fun and laidback place to go to especially when you're an outdoors type of person and you don't mind getting dirty, sweaty and sunbathed.

None of this matters unless you run out of beer. :) I am definitely going to give the small island a try once El Nino stops being a nuisance...

LOL... Now you made me feel like a boring person for not thinking of beer.. =) But yeah, whatever works. Maybe you can even bring your drinks at the wetlands... =P
Hindsight is always 20/20.