Singapore Expats Forum

Need your opions pls....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Jhenna

Need your opions pls....

Postby Jhenna » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 4:31 am

Hi, I am currently in the Philippines. I have prepared everything (money to use) in finding a job in Singapore. Something happened unexpectedly, I am 1 mo. pregnant. If I will be going to Singapore and find a job will they pull me out upon knowing I am pregnant before going to Singapore. Pls feel free posting your opinions. Your opions are highly appreciated.

utopia
Regular
Regular

Postby utopia » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 6:34 am

Firstly: you did not mention what visa will you be under when you look for work in Singapore
http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html
I am pretty sure the several of them have a 'non-pregnant' stipulation.

Assuming you are not limited by a work pass condition not to be pregnant (eg: if you are PR ) ; as a general employment condition I believe you need to be employed for more then 6 months before being entitled to the paid maternity leave benefits. ( - leaving you 2 months to become gainfully employed )

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 7:44 am

This is purely a personal opinion of mine (you are free to ignore everything from this point on if you disagree) , as I am in a marriage where we are finding it difficult to conceive a child (our first child), but if your circumstances are appropriate and you are able to have this child, without any major repercussions, then please consider having the baby.

It is also much harder for some women to conceive again if getting an abortion, but you can seek professional advice about this from your GP.

Screw the job opportunities. I'd swap every one of them just for one baby.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 8:03 am

Splatted wrote:This is purely a personal opinion of mine (you are free to ignore everything from this point on if you disagree) , as I am in a marriage where we are finding it difficult to conceive a child (our first child), but if your circumstances are appropriate and you are able to have this child, without any major repercussions, then please consider having the baby.

It is also much harder for some women to conceive again if getting an abortion, but you can seek professional advice about this from your GP.

:o she did not say she was going to abort the baby... i dont think it was her option even.

considering some of the mindset of employers , they are not very keen on making adjustments for pregnant employees. I think it will not be worth it at this time if you do come here to look for a job in your condition. And the change in environment, change in your body, you might be more stressed out

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 8:22 am

morenangpinay wrote:
Splatted wrote:This is purely a personal opinion of mine (you are free to ignore everything from this point on if you disagree) , as I am in a marriage where we are finding it difficult to conceive a child (our first child), but if your circumstances are appropriate and you are able to have this child, without any major repercussions, then please consider having the baby.

:o she did not say she was going to abort the baby... i dont think it was her option even.

Yes, I know it wasn't stated nor implied. Many people consider it, though, if choosing between the possibility of career and family.

Sure, you can have both, but searching for a job with the full intention of going on (paid?) maternity leave a few months after starting sounds a bit dishonest to me. It's not dissimilar to someone declaring they are healthy before starting a job (when they actually knowingly weren't), only to go on extended sick leave soon after starting the job.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 3:48 pm

Jhenna,
Searching for and possibly taking a job in any foreign country while you are pregnant is asking for trouble (I am assuming you are not going to tell the authorities). From what I have read on this forum you won't court much sympathy from an employer in Singapore if he/she/they think you have bluffed your way in. I think you might find yourself on your way home in a short space of time. Such could be true even in countries with good child care facilities which are often expensive, not to mention the wide variations in law and conditions of employment.

The best advice - stay in your home country, better the devil you know than the one you don't.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 2:41 am

sadly there is a big contradiction while the government wants their population to grow, they arent putting in strict safeguards to protect pregnant employees and prospective mothers from being discriminated in the workplace. and i wonder what is AWARE doing for this issue.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:06 pm

AWARE can't even keep it's own house in order. :roll:

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 9:53 pm

Jhenna,

I know this sounds harsh but... It's going to be difficult for you to find an employer who'll put up with you knowing that you'd go on maternity leave right after being hired. Unless you bring very very specific and much-needed skills/knowledge to the job which no one else can. Plus, if you give birth here, it will be quite expensive since you're a foreigner.

I know how life can be so difficult back home in the Philippines but there's more of a support system there for you and your baby than here. It's cheaper to get a yaya (nanny) there to take care of your kid while you go and work in the Philippines than it is here in Singapore.

I wish you all the luck dear. :-|
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:42 am

It is likely to be quite difficult.

As for employers confirming the pregnant employee (after 3 months or 6 months depending on the company's probation period)... it is something that is a gamble. I have one colleague who got confirmed. But I also have another friend who did not get the confirmation, thus would not be getting any maternity benefits. And in these cases, after they may have a hard time to keep their job after the 2 months' maternity rest.

And your first action is still to find a job, that itself would take some time.

Take this next 8 months to enjoy the journey to motherhood and prepare for your nesting season. Job can find again later, but having a baby is something joyous.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:59 pm

morenangpinay wrote:sadly there is a big contradiction while the government wants their population to grow, they arent putting in strict safeguards to protect pregnant employees and prospective mothers from being discriminated in the workplace. and i wonder what is AWARE doing for this issue.

Surely, though, you cannot imply that the government should accommodate the OP in this case and it is definitely not a case of discrimination were the government to deny a work permit.

I cannot see any employer agreeing to employ someone who is pregnant, particularly when the whole issue of work permits etc... It simply doesn't make sense.

For Jhenna, the government will certainly not 'pull you over' before you come to Singapore . . . they have no jurisdiction in the Philippines. If there is no option for you for not having the baby then you should wait until the child is born, do the usual thing and drop it off at your parents or grandparents, and try your luck again later

'nuff said Image

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Postby mayaray » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 2:20 pm

i would recommend to have the child in philippines and look for a job once you're ready