Singapore Expats Forum

NUS or Nanyang ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:16 pm

opag78 wrote:I thank you all sinceresly for hijacking my thread.

However I still have some faint hope that somebody might actually reply on the initial question.

I mean has nobody in this forum ANY opinion about NUS or Nanyang ??



Uhhh... sinceresly is not a word. Pls use spellcheck, I can't stand up for you everytime!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: NUS or Nanyang ?

Postby ksl » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:23 pm

opag78 wrote:Hi,


if I intend to stay up to 5 years in Singapore after the graduation, but want to work in a MNC and later would actually dream about going to US (e.g. California) which Business School would be the better choice ?

NUS or Nanyang ?
(assuming that I get offers from both schools and not taking into consideration the respective fees)


Best by reputation NUS

Best Full time MBA's NUS

Best Executive MBA's NUS

Nanyang well down the list

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/ASIANOW/asiaweek ... apore.html

Though it is from 2000...my logic tells me National University of Singapore will be more well known around the world.

This may also help

http://www.uniguru.com/studyabroad/sing ... -list.html

wcs
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby wcs » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 5:41 am

The best full-time MBA to do in Singapore is the INSEAD one. FT ranks it 5th in the world. Consider the Uni of Chicago one as your second choice.

If you are chinese educated do the Nanyang one, if you are english educated do the NUS one. If you want to go work in China, Nanyang is building a bigger presence there. If you want to work in the US, do NUS as they have more programmes linking up with top US unis. Although Nanyang has a few too.

The Nanyang Business School's MBA ranked 27th in the FT international MBA rankings. NUS was not in the top 100 schools according to FT this year. However NUS has been around for a lot long and is better known overseas.

madura
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue, 01 Jan 2008

Postby madura » Wed, 17 Mar 2010 1:19 pm

wcs wrote:If you are chinese educated do the Nanyang one, if you are english educated do the NUS one.


This is inaccurate. There are many europeans in the Nanyang MBA program too. That said, I'll recommend the NUS MBA as it has a better reputation and (imo) NUS has a better pool of alumni to network with.

User avatar
opag78
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 26 Feb 2010
Location: Currently Moscow/Russia
Contact:

Postby opag78 » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 3:24 pm

Hi, thank you all for your answers.

NUS will be my choice.

In fact I already got an offer and even a scholarship, so I might board the plane soon :)
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

https://www.xing.com/profile/Ruediger_Hesse4

wcs
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby wcs » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 4:57 am

madura wrote:
wcs wrote:If you are chinese educated do the Nanyang one, if you are english educated do the NUS one.


This is inaccurate. There are many europeans in the Nanyang MBA program too. That said, I'll recommend the NUS MBA as it has a better reputation and (imo) NUS has a better pool of alumni to network with.


Fair enough, it is my opinion. Being a westerner who studied at NTU, I found there was a lot of reference to the Nanyang spirit. Tales of our NanTah forefathers. How it was a people's university created by donations from prostitutes, hawkers and all the chinese workers. It fostered chinese language and literature, when NUS did not. The local govt refused to recognise its degrees for many years. The govt got in Australian academics to audit NTU and say why it was not up to accreditation standards, and what they had to fix.

We went up to KL with the uni and had to attend a dinner put on for the NanTah old boy graduates. I was in an english speaking course...as distinct from the chinese speaking sister course. The old boys spoke in Chinese and the interpreter stopped after the first 5 min. So we were being lectured by these successful businessmen in chinese. Only 11 out of 31 of us had any knowledge of chinese.

So yeah, whilst it is accurate that there are europeans at NTU, and if you only want the education that the piece of paper brings, study there.

If you want to truly benefit from the alumni network, the old boys, and all the rich opportunities it offers, being chinese educated, just helps you fit in, and have a much richer experience.

But this is all my opinion. As for yourself...results may vary! ;)

cavalier
Regular
Regular
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon, 10 Mar 2008

Postby cavalier » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:53 am

The Nanyang Business School's MBA ranked 27th in the FT international MBA rankings. NUS was not in the top 100 schools according to FT this year. However NUS has been around for a lot long and is better known overseas.


I heard somewhere that the reason NUS wasn't ranked was that they made a mistake in the data they provided or something along those lines.

banker
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri, 07 Nov 2008

Postby banker » Tue, 23 Mar 2010 7:27 pm

opag78 wrote:I corrected my initial post, besides you could develop a more helpful attitude, rather than trying to be the wise guy.


I don't know how this SMS guy became Moderator of this forum. He finds mistake on every post (I'm not only referring to his proof reading).

What is the point of having a forum if the Moderator doesn't like many of the postings or people behind these postings

On the topic of English, I have already told him many of the forumers for whom English is a second language are able to speak and write more number of languages than what SMS is able to do.
I love Singapore

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 8:12 pm

banker wrote:
opag78 wrote:I corrected my initial post, besides you could develop a more helpful attitude, rather than trying to be the wise guy.


What is the point of having a forum if the Moderator doesn't like many of the postings or people behind these postings



To be fair to him he's never expressed a personal dislike towards any individuals. He may have expressed his reservations about someone's point of view but that is very much allowed.

Your point about people for whom English is a second language(myself included) is valid, however it does tick me off too when ppl mess up prepositions and stuff. So that's a personal preference. SMS is just more vocal about it.

All said a lot of people here have benefitted from his experience and wisdom, some have even learned to spell correctly :P, so I think he's cool as moderator.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Mar 2010 9:16 pm

intellectualsmuse,

:kiss:

Thanks. It's appreciated. :wink:

banker
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri, 07 Nov 2008

Postby banker » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 1:56 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:
banker wrote:
opag78 wrote:I corrected my initial post, besides you could develop a more helpful attitude, rather than trying to be the wise guy.


What is the point of having a forum if the Moderator doesn't like many of the postings or people behind these postings



To be fair to him he's never expressed a personal dislike towards any individuals. He may have expressed his reservations about someone's point of view but that is very much allowed.

Your point about people for whom English is a second language(myself included) is valid, however it does tick me off too when ppl mess up prepositions and stuff. So that's a personal preference. SMS is just more vocal about it.

All said a lot of people here have benefitted from his experience and wisdom, some have even learned to spell correctly :P, so I think he's cool as moderator.


I do value SMS's experience and many of his useful postings. I really appreciate his time to help fellow humans.

However, since I joined this forum I wanted to drive this one particular message to him. Hope he got it.

Lets treasure our limited time in this world by not engaging hatred feelings towards people just because they are from 3rd world or they don't write good English.
I love Singapore

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 2:36 pm

.[/quote]

I do value SMS's experience and many of his useful postings. I really appreciate his time to help fellow humans.

However, since I joined this forum I wanted to drive this one particular message to him. Hope he got it.

Lets treasure our limited time in this world by not engaging hatred feelings towards people just because they are from 3rd world or they don't write good English.[/quote]

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Hey look, I've raised the nitpicking issue with him and he's taken it in his stride. Plus no ones perfect right!

As for your point about "engaging hatred" I don't get it at all. When I read statements like these its just indicative of persecution mania of some kind! Nobody hates you cause you don't speak good English. People might just find it difficult to have a conversation with you and may limit conversation at worst but hatred is a pretty strong word dude.

The problem is when you take criticism too personally. if someone criticises your language skills, please recognise and appreciate that they are uncomfortable with just "that part". It doesn't translate into anything more...weird how you should imagine it means they hate you/dislike you/want to avoid you.

Like they say in Hindi "Dil pe mat le yaar!" :D
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

banker
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri, 07 Nov 2008

Postby banker » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 8:59 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:.


I do value SMS's experience and many of his useful postings. I really appreciate his time to help fellow humans.

However, since I joined this forum I wanted to drive this one particular message to him. Hope he got it.

Lets treasure our limited time in this world by not engaging hatred feelings towards people just because they are from 3rd world or they don't write good English.[/quote]

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Hey look, I've raised the nitpicking issue with him and he's taken it in his stride. Plus no ones perfect right!

As for your point about "engaging hatred" I don't get it at all. When I read statements like these its just indicative of persecution mania of some kind! Nobody hates you cause you don't speak good English. People might just find it difficult to have a conversation with you and may limit conversation at worst but hatred is a pretty strong word dude.

The problem is when you take criticism too personally. if someone criticises your language skills, please recognise and appreciate that they are uncomfortable with just "that part". It doesn't translate into anything more...weird how you should imagine it means they hate you/dislike you/want to avoid you.

Like they say in Hindi "Dil pe mat le yaar!" :D[/quote]

My postings are based on my observation of his reply to other's postings. So there is no such thing as taking it to personal....Read this thread from the beginning or search this forum.
I love Singapore

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:40 pm

banker wrote:My postings are based on my observation of his reply to other's postings. So there is no such thing as taking it to personal....Read this thread from the beginning or search this forum.


banker,

If that is the case, I would suggest that you, yourself, go back and reread YOUR posts, because you come across as taking it VERY personally.

Oh, regarding the fact that you can probably speak or write in more languages than I......

I don't doubt that for a minute. But I'd much rather be proficient in one than mediocre in all of them. And, if I didn't like posters, I wouldn't be here for over 6 years, now would I? Do I nitpick? Yeah, I do. It's bad enough we have to let the Airline and Beauty forums have their Singlish. The rest of the forum is an "English" based forum primarily for talented expats. And seeing expats are foreign "talent" coming to what is "theoretically" an English speaking country, one would expect or at least assume that the well educated 'talent' would be able to converse very well using the written word. (More so than the spoken word where you are caught as soon as the 'bad' English leaves your lips}. With the written word you have both a spellchecker AND the ability to proofread your post before submitting. Those that don't make me wonder about their level of talent and from a more personal perspective (off this board) as to whether I want to hire an individual who cannot at least make sure their resume is perfect. Who knows, you might submit your CV to me for consideration for a position (you don't know who I am). Therefore, sometimes I/we get a little perturbed at those "talented" individuals who write using concocted words or bad grammar or ask the same questions over and over and over again & again when a very good search-engine exists. Sometimes it gets hard to keep regurgitating the same things virtually every day. You know, like the three threads currently running on PEP's. Or how to abuse the PR system.

Like or dislike of an individual has absolutely nothing to do with anything. How can you like or dislike something or somebody you don't even know, nor ever met? Unless one has an emotional problem that is. I'm sure you don't, but you come across like you have a complex of some sort. That's your problem though, not mine. I do hope, however, you can find the necessary professional help to get it resolved as it's stunting your ability to contribute anything useful here.

sms

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Postby FaeLLe » Fri, 26 Mar 2010 1:51 am

There goes his thread....... "THREAD CLOSED" ?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests