Singapore Expats Forum

NUS or Nanyang ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
opag78
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 26 Feb 2010
Location: Currently Moscow/Russia
Contact:

NUS or Nanyang ?

Postby opag78 » Fri, 26 Feb 2010 8:18 pm

Hi,


if I intend to stay up to 5 years in Singapore after the graduation, but want to work in a MNC and later would actually dream about going to US (e.g. California) which Business School would be the better choice ?

NUS or Nanyang ?
(assuming that I get offers from both schools and not taking into consideration the respective fees)

prueplum
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon, 22 Feb 2010

Postby prueplum » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 1:34 am

from my knowledge, nanyang(NTU) is much well known for it business course. It is also well acclaimed internationally. But also because if that, it's gives the additional challenge and competition for the admission to the course.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby wcs » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 5:23 am

Both have good courses. Nanyang has done well in the rankings lately, and NUS has been around a long time and so is better known overseas.

Consider looking at which unis have exchange agreements with them both. If you have an idea of which uni you want to do your MBA at, then chose the local uni which has an exchange programme with them. This will let you go there for a semester and try it out at cheaper undergrad prices.

In addition it lets you make contact with the lecturers, so it is easier to get letters of support to go there to do your MBA in the future.

Good Luck!

User avatar
opag78
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 26 Feb 2010
Location: Currently Moscow/Russia
Contact:

Postby opag78 » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 3:21 pm

Hi,

I just noticed that I have not specifically mentioned that I am talking strictly about the Full-time MBA programme in either NUS or Nanyang.

So basically it interesting to know which business school has more reputation in Singapore itself (or are they both the same) and whether MNC employers in US do know these schools ?

Besides I thought that the admission process and the requirements for admission are the same in NUS and in Nanyang, or am I mistaken ?
Last edited by opag78 on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 4:46 pm

opag78 wrote:Hi,

I just noticed that I have not specifically mentioned that I am talking strictly about the Full-time MBA programme in either NUS or Nanyang.

So basically it interesting to know which business school is more reputated in Singapore itself (or are they both the same) and whether MNC employers in US do know these schools ?

Besides I thought that the admission process and the requirements for admission are the same in NUS and in Nanyang, or am I mistaken ?


Maybe some supplementary English first? What is reputated? Do you mean reputed? Sounds like something that climbed out of the premordial slime and fell back in and climbed out again. It didn't mutate, it reputated. :lol:

The spell checker works a treat if you use it.

User avatar
opag78
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 26 Feb 2010
Location: Currently Moscow/Russia
Contact:

Postby opag78 » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 9:09 pm

I corrected my initial post, besides you could develop a more helpful attitude, rather than trying to be the wise guy.

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 4:24 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
opag78 wrote:Hi,

I just noticed that I have not specifically mentioned that I am talking strictly about the Full-time MBA programme in either NUS or Nanyang.

So basically it interesting to know which business school is more reputated in Singapore itself (or are they both the same) and whether MNC employers in US do know these schools ?

Besides I thought that the admission process and the requirements for admission are the same in NUS and in Nanyang, or am I mistaken ?


Maybe some supplementary English first? What is reputated? Do you mean reputed? Sounds like something that climbed out of the premordial slime and fell back in and climbed out again. It didn't mutate, it reputated. :lol:

The spell checker works a treat if you use it.


Uhhh...typos happen right? Are you this unforgiving all year through or do you take a break around Christmas? Just wondering :P
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 7:06 am

intellectualsmuse wrote:Uhhh...typos happen right? Are you this unforgiving all year through or do you take a break around Christmas? Just wondering :P


So what you are saying, in a round about way, is that reputated is a common spelling error for certain English speakers and I touched a raw nerve. :-k Okay, have it your way. :wink:

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 8:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:Uhhh...typos happen right? Are you this unforgiving all year through or do you take a break around Christmas? Just wondering :P


So what you are saying, in a round about way, is that reputated is a common spelling error for certain English speakers and I touched a raw nerve. :-k Okay, have it your way. :wink:


What I was actually saying was that "To err is human but to ensure the error gets its due on this forum is SMSian" And that quote is 100% original. Also I thought typos were universal, but the way you talk about spelling errors specific to "certain English speakers", I get the racist angle...truly I do :P Now what was that thing about inciting...
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 9:50 am

Again, you, like a lot of others, must really go to the dictionary and learn the definition of 'racist'. I'm not inciting anything, just point out some salient facts. (maybe it didn't touch a nerve but you actually know what I mean).

I am stating stuff as as result of having read 100's nay 1000's of resume's and CV's over the past 14 years in HR & Recruitment of Asean engineers for medium to high level positions both here and throughout the Asean region. Nothing racist about it. Have I met you? Am I what I say I am? Or is this only my online personna? I am having many years of experience! or I have many years of experience. Is that being racist? No. Is it a common trait of certain people to phrase that statement that way? Yes. Trends are noticeable especially in my line of work. If you want to call every trend exhibited by certain nationalities racist that's your business. So I guess I'm racist when I say Singapore are kiasu as it's a trait here? :roll:

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:02 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Again, you, like a lot of others, must really go to the dictionary and learn the definition of 'racist'. I'm not inciting anything, just point out some salient facts. (maybe it didn't touch a nerve but you actually know what I mean).

I am stating stuff as as result of having read 100's nay 1000's of resume's and CV's over the past 14 years in HR & Recruitment of Asean engineers for medium to high level positions both here and throughout the Asean region. Nothing racist about it. Have I met you? Am I what I say I am? Or is this only my online personna? I am having many years of experience! or I have many years of experience. Is that being racist? No. Is it a common trait of certain people to phrase that statement that way? Yes. Trends are noticeable especially in my line of work. If you want to call every trend exhibited by certain nationalities racist that's your business. So I guess I'm racist when I say Singapore are kiasu as it's a trait here? :roll:


1. Where's your sense of humour? Why overreact?

2. For someone who's cribbing about how thin skinned some ppl are you aint too different yourself.

3. I'd meant the whole thing in jest-forced to reclarify but am doing it now.

4. You should be able to laugh at yourself once in a while... You have a good sense of humour and you're no-nonsense, however there is a fine line between being a no-nonsense person and being a nit picker. You decide.

5. You may conveniently ignore all of the above. I've said what I had to.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

cavalier
Regular
Regular
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon, 10 Mar 2008

Postby cavalier » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:43 pm

SMS isn't being rascist, he's just being a crotchety old man! :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Mar 2010 2:46 pm

Nah, I just did 48 hours with a juvenile jerk in the other threads. :P :shit:

User avatar
opag78
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri, 26 Feb 2010
Location: Currently Moscow/Russia
Contact:

Postby opag78 » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 6:50 pm

I thank you all sinceresly for hijacking my thread.

However I still have some faint hope that somebody might actually reply on the initial question.

I mean has nobody in this forum ANY opinion about NUS or Nanyang ??
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

https://www.xing.com/profile/Ruediger_Hesse4

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34794
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:54 pm

You would probably better placed by putting your query on a Singapore Citizen centric board rather than an Expatriate centric board. Most Expats, if they have done a Masters, did so in a Western Uni where they are more recognized world wide as opposed to being well rated in Asia. I don't know remember anybody on this board having done a Masters at either one of them.

If we hadn't hijacked it, it would have already been on page two. Bad news. At least this way it stayed where, like on google, it would get the best exposure. A page one listing. :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests