Singapore Expats Forum

BRITS PASSPORT RENEWAL

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

BRITS PASSPORT RENEWAL

Postby bigfilsing » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:30 am

Just found out that as of 22nd march all passport renewals will have to be done in HK :mad:

Fantatsic . Move the creation of UK passports to a known nest of copiers of anything of value. You'd have thought that after the recent events in Dubai they'd think again.

so whats the point of the Brit High Comm. After spending millions of tax payers money in recent years on security what will they actually do there that is of service to expats.

Not happy ...at all

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:40 am

I did hear all Brit Passport services were offshoring and centralising, I think if you’re an Expat in the EU they all go to Paris now… HK must be our new shared services hub?

Hey, maybe now in HK you will get shown a naff catalogue, and choose from a cheap looking LV, Prada, or Gucci passport…

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 1:04 pm

AndyD wrote:I did hear all Brit Passport services were offshoring and centralising, I think if you’re an Expat in the EU they all go to Paris now…

I have to doubt that....... I would say there is no way Spain or Germany for example would voluntarily give up sovereignty over who makes their passports, and especially not to the French.

My problem is that, yes partially considering what happened in Dubai recently, suddenly each applicant is required to send his/her passport via which ever courier company the applicant sees fit, to Hong Kong. All of a sudden HM (who still owns the passport) trusts private firms such as DHL (German), FedEx/UPS (American) and SingPost, OCS types to get vital documentation around the world?

At the very least the Consulate here should check, verify and authenticate the passport application/applicant here in Singapore before sending via diplomatic messenger/pouch to Hong Kong once or twice a week. At S$361 (that I paid this morning) the money saved by not making the bl@@dy things here can be put towards SECURE transport to/from HK.

Germany send their passports from the Embassy here back home after such checks and in this way.

I don't mind them centralising passport printing but the local Consulate must still be in control of the application and delivery.

My passport (48-Page) still had just over two years of validity left but because it was just a few stamps from being full I went in this morning to replace it.......based only on this change of service.

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 1:19 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I would say there is no way Spain or Germany for example would voluntarily give up sovereignty over who makes their passports, and especially not to the French.

Only Brits abroad is how page reads...

http://ukinfrance.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo ... passports/

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 24 Feb 2010 1:26 pm

AndyD wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:I would say there is no way Spain or Germany for example would voluntarily give up sovereignty over who makes their passports, and especially not to the French.

Only Brits abroad is how page reads...

http://ukinfrance.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo ... passports/

Okay, then i read wrongly what you were trying to say with regards expats in the EU but the rest of my concerns are still in place.