Singapore Expats Forum

How do you spend your time? (Expat wives in particular :))

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

How do you spend your time? (Expat wives in particular :))

Postby intellectualsmuse » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 2:39 pm

Hi all, Its been like 20 odd days since I moved to Singapore...quit my full time job as a Product Manager so I could be with the hubby. From managing 12 hour workdays to being jobless hasn't exactly been an easy transition for me cause back then if I had too little time, now its like I have too much!

Trying to make the most of it though-spend a lot of time reading, taking some classes, walking around the city,hanging out on this forum, listening to music and googling a lot :D

Wondering about other ppl in my situation...what do you do?
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 8:19 pm

While you were working, what was it that you always wanted to do but couldnt do due to lack of time? Look at pursuing some hobby.

I love stock markets, if I were free like you I would watch the stock tickers whole day and still wouldn't get enough of it :)

Look at further education like MBA or something. Or simply look for a job :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 8:47 pm

revhappy, for once you and I agree! :o :wink:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 9:54 pm

Someone once told me the definition of success is being able to get up and do what ever you feel like doing. You have that now.....

The biggest change is not having the day to day banter you get in an working environment, after a while you get used to it and lets be honest most of the chats in the office is shallow gossip and small talk anyway.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Postby intellectualsmuse » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:14 pm

Well, have the MBA...looking for the job now :-) Meanwhile ya enjoying the fact that I can do what I want with my time. Although still getting used to having to ask the husband for an "allowance" :D Feels like being in High School again!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 6:19 am

If the job doesn't work out, there are lots of very worthwhile volunteer opportunities in Singapore. Also, you could pursue a 2nd degree on-line, something you've always wanted to learn more about but never had the time.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 9:53 am

Oh how I wish I could be in your shoes haha!

Here's what I'd do for the first two weeks - sleep in daily, walk to my chiro, lounge at Border's, have a late lunch, take a cab back, cook dinner for hubby, and take it easy in the evening.

Then comes the fun leisure stuff on top of some of the above - learn surfing, go for bike rides, stroll the parks, take pictures with my dslr all over Singapore - i.e. one destination each day, volunteer at NGOs, etc.

Anything but the shopping malls for me. ;)

AndyD
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyD » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:50 am

Get really fit, and master your chosen hobby – or master a new hobby...

Have a nice lie in, then up at 8am (earlier or later depending on what you class as a lie in)… Hard fitness for an hour and half – swimming, running or whatever takes your fancy… Breakfast, shower, read a paper… Check stocks, and make a few trades… Hang out (tidying, shopping, cleaning, watch TV) until a nice light, late lunch… Hop on public transport every afternoon go see a sight and take really nice photographs, use public transport of all kinds to get to know Singapore like the back of your hand… Home for 6ish relax and unwind…

Alternate afternoon activities…

Take photography lessons.
Learn Mandarin.
Take an Asian cooking course.
Learn wakeboarding (tow lake will be empty midweek afternoons).
Learn Mahjong.
“Ladies what lunch”

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 4:00 pm

On a related note, I so need my work mojo back. Enjoy your time off while it lasts.

amenes83

i think

Postby amenes83 » Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:38 pm

learning a new language can be a good investment especially when you can spare some time.

Being able to speak other languages is a valuable asset that will last till end of your life. =)

Nyambura

interesting

Postby Nyambura » Sun, 28 Feb 2010 1:54 am

Been asking my self similar questions. I ve thought about persuing a hobby and this answers it. I will try learning to play the piano or tennis for fun. email me on nyongscloud@yahoo.com if you want to bounce off ideas sometime during the week.

DaisyRae
Regular
Regular

Postby DaisyRae » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 5:51 pm

Hi, intellectualsmuse! I hope you're enjoying your free time. =)

For me, since I like listening to music while hanging out at a place with a great view, I usually go to Esplanade's Theatre on the Bay to listen to some young bands play. Usually they play deafening rock music but I still like to go and appreciate what they've got since the bands there seem so passionate about what they do.

Have fun!
Hindsight is always 20/20.

rajasegaran

Postby rajasegaran » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 9:57 pm

www.wopg.com
The good news," he continued, "is, one: you are alive. To me, that’s as good as news can get. Two: the divine that you are searching for is within you. That gives birth to the third good news: whatever it is you are looking for is also within you."

rajasegaran

Postby rajasegaran » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:00 pm

There are openings for volunteers @ www.wopg.com

rajasegaran

Postby rajasegaran » Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:02 pm

You can also visit

www.suprememastertv.com 24hr brodcast on mother earth
www.stuartwilde.com. on metaphysics