Singapore Expats Forum

Caning is 'good' for women

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Caning is 'good' for women

Postby Splatted » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 7:51 pm

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20100219/ ... 5f4fe.html

I'm not here to judge. Just interesting the cultural difference...

nakatago

Re: Caning is 'good' for women

Postby nakatago » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 8:44 pm

Splatted wrote:http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20100219/tap-oukwd-uk-malaysia-caning-185f4fe.html

Considering they've just been caned and then an interview... :-k

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 9:43 pm

using religion to control what people can or cannot do!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:20 pm

nakatago wrote:
Splatted wrote:http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20100219/tap-oukwd-uk-malaysia-caning-185f4fe.html

Actually a lot of religious pressure is on these women caned, if they don't do as told, they could suffer much more than caning! Though not long ago a model was in court for drinking beer, she has challenged them to cane her, and said she doesn't regret drinking the beer. She hasn't been caned yet, it's been delayed over a year now, i think!

http://story.japanherald.com/index.php/ ... 2447/cs/1/

Though i am not really against if for serious cases, sex and pregnancy out of wedlock, is quite serious for any parents too...Sometimes I think it should be used in UK.

I have had the cane many times on my backside in school for getting into fights, because I stand up to bullies, though i felt it unfair, it didn't stop me, from protecting myself. The 60's nearly all schools in UK used the cane.....There are much more painful ways, like lifting the kids up by their sideburns, yes really psycho teachers we had.

My mother went down to the school and threatened to beat the crap out of the maths teacher, for ripping my shirt, the headmaster also got his lot too.
Good old mum, if i had deserved it she would have been the first to say, serves you right! I'm all for discipline and the cane in school too. My worries would be that some teachers just have the sadistic streaks in them, to let out their frustrations on kids.

All said and done, it didn't leave any lasting effects on me, I can look back and admit when I deserved it and when I didn't....

The army used to fine you for being late on parade, and jail you for being absent, or negligent, so i guess i have grown up with hard discipline and my old mum wouldn't beat around the bush, it would be the poker or broomstick on the back of the legs, after many warnings.

Without solid discipline one will quite often see societies crumble into anti social behaviour in a big way, no respect for law and order.

I think everyone on the planet have a choice to a certain extent, to live by the rules until you can escape from them! The laws still get broken by people like myself, that can be a reble at times, though I consider if the punishment is worth the risk!

My opinion and my wife keeps telling me not to jay walk! Time for me is the essence of my life at my age, and i'm damned if I let traffic lights rob me of the seconds when no cars are in sight! :) So I would say we all have our opinions on law and order,

The girls should be caned for sex outside marriage in my opinion :wink: and the guys too. Sex is also worth 6 of the best if caught out, so don't get caught! :) unless your into S&M :shock:
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:51 pm

ksl wrote:
nakatago wrote:

Actually a lot of religious pressure is on these women caned, if they don't do as told, they could suffer much more than caning! Though not long ago a model was in court for drinking beer, she has challenged them to cane her, and said she doesn't regret drinking the beer. She hasn't been caned yet, it's been delayed over a year now, i think!

http://story.japanherald.com/index.php/ ... 2447/cs/1/

can't find a reference article but i do remember she challenged them to cane her publicly. spunky woman! :cool:

aster
Manager
Manager

Postby aster » Sat, 20 Feb 2010 7:38 pm

Putting the issue of caning aside, what's truly startling is the "crime" that brought about the caning. :)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:50 pm

aster wrote:

Putting the issue of caning aside, what's truly startling is the "crime" that brought about the caning. :)

based on sharia law. go figure.

what's really startling is that they bothered interviewing these women and act surprised when they said they deserved it and learned their lesson.

HELLLLLOOOOOOOO?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Breaking news: The sky is blue, grass is green. Full report at 11, with symposium to follow.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 1:00 am

This reminds me of female circumcision. A Somali (Muslim) ex of mine told me the story of her's when she was six years old. Basically it WAS her choice, but everyone she was close to gathered around and told her that 'good girls have it done' and 'bad girls do not.'

Guess what the six year old decided.

As an unfortunate side note she was estranged from her family and culture for the birth of her first child. She went through her childbirth with the opening still sewn partially closed and predictably it tore.

Usually the sewn tissue is cut before delivery, but in Australia I guess the obstetricians are not expecting a vagina that is partially sewn shut. Go figure.
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:40 pm

SunWuKong wrote:This reminds me of female circumcision. A Somali (Muslim) ex of mine told me the story of her's when she was six years old. Basically it WAS her choice, but everyone she was close to gathered around and told her that 'good girls have it done' and 'bad girls do not.'

Guess what the six year old decided.

As an unfortunate side note she was estranged from her family and culture for the birth of her first child. She went through her childbirth with the opening still sewn partially closed and predictably it tore.

Usually the sewn tissue is cut before delivery, but in Australia I guess the obstetricians are not expecting a vagina that is partially sewn shut. Go figure.

OUCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH geeeez.

i saw one youtube video bout a muslim woman being stoned to death with her own family leading the stoning. i think it was because of dating someone outside her belief

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:59 am

In some ways it's just crime'n'punishment.

Many people say "Well the death penalty doesn't work as a deterant" which technically might be true, but it's a bloody fine punishment. Not going to start the usual debate on the rights and wrongs morally about it BUT you know the punishment yet still do the crime?

Sorry, then, but no sympathy.

Right or wrong? If you think it's wrong then have the conviction to do something about it, either moving away, changing lifestyle or whatever but don't simply complain it's not right.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 1:14 pm

This reminds me of female circumcision. A Somali (Muslim) ex of mine told me the story of her's when she was six years old. Basically it WAS her choice, but everyone she was close to gathered around and told her that 'good girls have it done' and 'bad girls do not.'

Not quite comparable with caning! Female circumcision is totally barbaric, no other word for it. I mean would a guy like is toy taken away :cry: Education and development is addressing these problems in Somalia slowly ignorance is a major problem.

The vagina splitting in child birth is nothing new at all, and their is no point of an obstetrician, cutting the vagina when many give birth without the vagina splitting providing the baby is normal in size.

I was helping at my first wife's delivery with one leg over my shoulder, when the vagina split showering me in blood :-| she of course needed stitching afterwards. Though the contractions are more painful than the vagina splitting for some women, the splitting is just pure relief.

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 4:10 pm

Malays still circumcise their girls right here in Singapore. Present day.

It reminds me of circumcision because of the tacit acceptance surrounding the practice, not because they are comparable activities.

mayaray
Regular
Regular

Postby mayaray » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 5:10 pm

female circumcision in malaysia and sg almost unheard of I think. I grew up amongst malays and do not know any who had been circumcised (females). I heard my mom mentioning that some malays used to do it but even back in her time it was not common.

the kind of female circumcision practiced here in the old days was much less invasive (compared to the somali/ other african cultures)

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 7:30 pm

mayaray wrote:the kind of female circumcision practiced here in the old days was much less invasive

Call me crazy (Vaucluse, hold your civil tongue...) but was there ever a phrase more worthy of the title 'oxymoron' than less-invasive female circumcision?

:o

SunWuKong
Regular
Regular

Postby SunWuKong » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 9:26 am

Even though it is making me physically ill, I will persist.

The degree that circumcision is exercised to does differ between Somalia and Singapore. Somali's slice off the labia minora and do their best to excise the clitoris, then they sew the exposed tissue together. In Singapore it only involves removing some of the labia minora.

However, my Malay mother-in-law did schedule an appointment for the procedure for my one month old daughter before I stomped on the idea summarily. My parents in law are not strongly adhering Muslims, this is a reflection on the culture.

Imagine my shock.

I can assure you that this service is widely available in Singapore and that it is being taken up on a regular basis.