Singapore Expats Forum

US citizens: Passport renewal processing times?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
trichick76

US citizens: Passport renewal processing times?

Postby trichick76 » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 6:18 pm

The US embassy site for Singapore says the processing time for passport renewals is 10 days to 2 weeks. Has anyone done this lately? Can you verify this?
Thanks! LLL

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 6:57 pm

Yes, have done it within the last year. I think they turned it around in a little less that 2 weeks, but I'd plan on it taking that long.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 8:58 pm

I just renewed mine last month ... they gave me 2 weeks to pick up from processing but then emailed me 5 days later it was ready.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:10 pm

They would not put more pages in my old passport. But, they did get my new passport to me in 2 days, after I griped.

trichick76

Thanks, everyone! (eom)

Postby trichick76 » Sat, 20 Feb 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks!

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 5:48 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:They would not put more pages in my old passport. But, they did get my new passport to me in 2 days, after I griped.

holy smokes, how many did they glue in there? that's the thickest i've seen in a while!!!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Feb 2010 6:01 pm

He's lucky. In the old days ('80's) they didn't use the tape in booklets of pages. My first passport over here had fold out pages that had the equivalent of, I believe something like 26 pages but just a long folded sheet (numbered A~Z) I had one of those attached to every page in that passport. (That's what happens when you work in Indonesia for 12 years!) My last one had the glue in booklets but I only had three of them (didn't work offshore anymore). The new one doesn't hardly get used!

First I've seen with 5 booklets inserted! :o

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby boffenl » Sat, 06 Mar 2010 6:15 pm

Mine was ready the next day--maybe I was there on a slow day? :) I LOVE the e-mail notification. Problem was they misspelled my name and it took 2 days to correct. Oh well. I give em props for having it done in less than 24 hours the first time.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 2:17 am

taxico wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:They would not put more pages in my old passport. But, they did get my new passport to me in 2 days, after I griped.

holy smokes, how many did they glue in there? that's the thickest i've seen in a while!!!

I had the original 24 pages plus seven more inserts of 24 pages for about 200, of which 146 or so were actual visa pages.

I've seen thicker... half again as much.

I've finally got a business visa for Indonesia so it has severely slowed the growth of my passport.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 7:21 am

:o just amazed by your description...

never seen anything like your passport... in Switzerland when the are full you need to replace, they don't thread or glue new pages... and even before the current biometric ou optical passports :o

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 9:41 am

The State Department is raising the passport fee from $100 to $135 and getting additional pages in your passport will cost $82 dollars, though the 'new' biometric passports may not have pages added. I believe they are phasing it out.

State Department defends proposed 35% hike in passport fees

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-bl ... -def-6492/

'nuff said Image

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby boffenl » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:34 am

How did you get a business visa to Indonesia? I'll be travelling there once a month--and the 30 day visa can only be used for one entry. I'd love to know how much it cost and how long you had to wait for it to be approved. Plus, do you have to have an office in Indonesia to "qualify"?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 11:36 pm

boffenl wrote:How did you get a business visa to Indonesia? I'll be travelling there once a month--and the 30 day visa can only be used for one entry. I'd love to know how much it cost and how long you had to wait for it to be approved. Plus, do you have to have an office in Indonesia to "qualify"?

My travel to Indonesia is almost always to Batam to play golf, and I have a golf membership at one of the clubs. They were my sponsor. Cost about $150 as a recall.

Capex101

Additional pages

Postby Capex101 » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 2:47 pm

I have only had one set of extra pages added to my (US) passport - but it is almost full again. Can the embassy here simply add pages? If so, any idea how long they need to keep it?

Strong Eagle

Re: Additional pages

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 3:16 pm

Capex101 wrote:I have only had one set of extra pages added to my (US) passport - but it is almost full again. Can the embassy here simply add pages? If so, any idea how long they need to keep it?

Embassy can add pages. Drop it off with request form, pick up next day. Used to be stop and wait but no more. They will also limit the number of times you can do it.