Singapore Expats Forum

Dependent Pass not allowed to incorporate a private limited

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:49 am

Just make sure you do it quickly, as they realize they have left an exploitable loophole and they will slam the door shut as soon as they can figure out the best way to do so. They don't like having their noses rubbed in it and that's exactly what is happening at the moment. It's only a matter of time.

s2fitness
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 11 Sep 2010

Postby s2fitness » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 8:04 am

ksl wrote:Well you have soon found out that you are not at home haven't you
I was self employed at home, why should it be any different here?
Hello you are in Singapore a different country with different laws! You are a guest, that is about as much as they have to offer you and thank your lucky stars your spouse isn't a PR because then you wouldn't be allowed to work on LOC even, because your DP will be taken off you and you will get a LTSVP! The ones that have signed their own LOC have broken the law, they must just hope that it doesn't back fire on them, and it could very easy, now that you have told MOM that others have done that! Good luck with your job hunting


Hilarious! So it will be my fault will it - MOM can't possibly see for themselves that these people are signing their own LOC and working for themselves! Btw, could you be any more patronising and less welcoming?

Movingtospore - thank you very much for you pm. Fingers crossed it looks like I have found a fitness company that are looking for a freelance PT so I will get a LOC sponsored through them. If that doesn't work out then I shall contact the person you suggested.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 9:03 am

s2fitness wrote:
Movingtospore - thank you very much for you pm. Fingers crossed it looks like I have found a fitness company that are looking for a freelance PT so I will get a LOC sponsored through them. If that doesn't work out then I shall contact the person you suggested.


If you hve found a fitness company and they will be sponsoring the LOC, then you will not be freelancing. They have to be in an employer/employee relationship with you.

Oh, while the the other poster might, like me, come across as harsh, we are only trying to keep avenues open and not broadcast what are obviously holes in new systems.

If you think about it, normally, holes only get closed when they are exposed. (Kinda like what happened with Enron?) The ability to open a Sole-Proprietorship in order to freelance sort of makes a mockery of the EntrePass Scheme doesn't it? Why, do you think, would be the objective of making the EntrePass Scheme so onerous, when anybody could register a sole-proprietorship and sign their own LOC? It's definitely an oversight that they will slam shut in due course you can bet your bottom dollar. I've been here too many years and seen it happen too many times to believe otherwise.

Good luck anyway, but remember, do not wait, as normally they don't go retroactive, but they do input new criteria occasionally, that, like in the case of the EntrePass, causes a review every year to ensure compliance with the guidelines. Failing that review can cause your company to be suspended.

sms

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 3:39 pm

Honestly I don't know anything about what's going on at MOM, but re slamming the door shut, I'm not sure. I don't think they necessarily meant to slam the door on sole proprietors - I think they forgot about them when they created the new rules. I do know that MOM has been talking to various chambers of commerce, etc., and getting an earful about the problems the new scheme is creating. The folks I did speak with at MOM re my personal situation were actually very helpful. So, possibly, they will actually adapt the entrepass scheme for sole proprietorships. Who knows.

I should also point out that I don't see becoming a sole proprietor as the best situation - it was just easier (believe it or not) than trying to set up a limited company as a foreigner. My family will likely apply for PR status, which would allow me to start a proper business with limited liability etc etc. down the road.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 4:51 pm

movingtospore wrote:I do know that MOM has been talking to various chambers of commerce, etc., and getting an earful about the problems the new scheme is creating.


MOM has been getting an earful from lots of us in the service industries like the one I'm in (Pest Control). Local won't do it and they cap our foreign worker at 50%. We're always understaffed and all the pest control companies in Singapore have the same problems. MOM listens but doesn't help. They just go and do it however they want and damn the torpedos. I've been dealing with MOM since 1994 and they haven't changed their mind-sets yet.

lalancaster1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008

Question for MovingtoSingapore

Postby lalancaster1 » Tue, 28 Sep 2010 3:02 pm

HI!

I've been reading through these posts related to Dependent Pass status and filling out the Letter of Consent and wanted to PM you but I haven't made enough posts to do so. For over a year, I have been going round and round trying to determine if I need an EntrePass (turns out, I DON'T and a Sole Proprietorship will do) and everyone I talk to at MOM and ACRA is clueless.

Would you please mind emailing me the contact name at MOM so I can speak to someone who is knowledgeable about this whole Sole Proprietorship process?

I have already filed my business name with ACRA and now I'm at the step where I need to fill out the LOC.

Thanks so much!
lalancaster1@gmail.com

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Question for MovingtoSingapore

Postby ksl » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 2:01 am

lalancaster1 wrote:HI!

I've been reading through these posts related to Dependent Pass status and filling out the Letter of Consent and wanted to PM you but I haven't made enough posts to do so. For over a year, I have been going round and round trying to determine if I need an EntrePass (turns out, I DON'T and a Sole Proprietorship will do) and everyone I talk to at MOM and ACRA is clueless.

Would you please mind emailing me the contact name at MOM so I can speak to someone who is knowledgeable about this whole Sole Proprietorship process?

I have already filed my business name with ACRA and now I'm at the step where I need to fill out the LOC.

Thanks so much!
lalancaster1@gmail.com


You should really read the rules, it tells you clearly, that a sponsor should sign the LOC, now you have registered your biz, you cannot sign it yourself, and I doubt very much that anyone of these on the forum can give you a name, well maybe they can, but I will bet you the person that delt with them, will not admit liability for anything illegal! Though if you do succeed, I wish you all the best.

It can be done however very simple and legal if you ask around until they close the loop hole.

lalancaster1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008

Sole Proprietorship

Postby lalancaster1 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 7:27 am

I know it can be done. I have a friend I just met the other day from Australia. She JUST moved here in MAY and is a Dependent, as well. She's done the same thing I've done in terms of filing for a business name and paying the $65 fee with ACRA. After that, she filled out the letter of consent and typed up her own letter with her letterhead on it and signed it. She was approved. It can be done and if it were illegal, it wouldn't have been approved.

If Movingtosg could reply, I'd appreciate it!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Sole Proprietorship

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:29 am

lalancaster1 wrote:I know it can be done. I have a friend I just met the other day from Australia. She JUST moved here in MAY and is a Dependent, as well. She's done the same thing I've done in terms of filing for a business name and paying the $65 fee with ACRA. After that, she filled out the letter of consent and typed up her own letter with her letterhead on it and signed it. She was approved. It can be done and if it were illegal, it wouldn't have been approved.

If Movingtosg could reply, I'd appreciate it!


If it's all above board and your friend has done it as well as movingtosg, then you don't need any names. Just submit. As you all have documented that it is in fact legal anybody there can handle it.

lalancaster1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008

Sole Proprietorship

Postby lalancaster1 » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 4:04 pm

If I didn't think I needed a name, I wouldn't have come on this forum and asked for a name in the first place. I would like a name so that I can speak to someone on the phone or make an appointment with someone in person to clarify this issue once and for all. The information on this forum about this subject is confusing because some are saying it's possible, some are saying it's not and some are even saying it's illegal.

If I could get the name from the person I mentioned in the earlier post I would, but I've only met her once and don't have her contact info. The only thing I have is her word and that's not good enough for me, nor is any of this back and forth, "Yes you can, no you can't" info.

Just yesterday, I called MOM and of course, like always, they told me again that I needed an EntrePass-WRONG!! I DO NOT need an Entrepass! What I need is someone who works for this organization who knows what the *%$ is going on to answer this simple question: Can I or can I not fill out my own LOC?

Now, I am waiting for someone to call me back from MOM so that I make sure BEFORE I send the paperwork in that I can sign this LOC. Also, I was told I needed to write a letter. Again, I was told-I want to speak to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

How many posts does it take before I can PM someone? Every time I go to PM "Movingtosingapore," I'm told that I haven't posted enough to be able to PM. Since you're the "Moderator," please approve me so I can PM "Movingtosg" and get an answer to my question. Thanks!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 4:36 pm

Can you read this post?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10832
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 4:55 pm

You must have 5 posts before your PM function works, a spam prevention measure, and nothing against you personally.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Sole Proprietorship

Postby ksl » Wed, 29 Sep 2010 8:16 pm

lalancaster1 wrote:If I didn't think I needed a name, I wouldn't have come on this forum and asked for a name in the first place. I would like a name so that I can speak to someone on the phone or make an appointment with someone in person to clarify this issue once and for all. The information on this forum about this subject is confusing because some are saying it's possible, some are saying it's not and some are even saying it's illegal.

If I could get the name from the person I mentioned in the earlier post I would, but I've only met her once and don't have her contact info. The only thing I have is her word and that's not good enough for me, nor is any of this back and forth, "Yes you can, no you can't" info.

Just yesterday, I called MOM and of course, like always, they told me again that I needed an EntrePass-WRONG!! I DO NOT need an Entrepass! What I need is someone who works for this organization who knows what the *%$ is going on to answer this simple question: Can I or can I not fill out my own LOC?

Now, I am waiting for someone to call me back from MOM so that I make sure BEFORE I send the paperwork in that I can sign this LOC. Also, I was told I needed to write a letter. Again, I was told-I want to speak to someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

How many posts does it take before I can PM someone? Every time I go to PM "Movingtosingapore," I'm told that I haven't posted enough to be able to PM. Since you're the "Moderator," please approve me so I can PM "Movingtosg" and get an answer to my question. Thanks!


The process is simple enough if registered go for it and see, if it goes through it goes through, all you need is the UEN number unique entity number in which ACRA gave you for a sole proprietor businesses registered with ACRA1 nnnnnnnnX (9 digits) sign it and send it off.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

The only thing to worry about would be this:____________________________________
Name, Designation & Authorised Signature
of Local Sponsor
___________________________________ You are not a local sponsor. I took that from th manual application which can take 5 weeks, if you do the one online it can be done in 7 days. If it says local sponsor signature on the online application, then it is a clear breach of the rules to sign your own name, no matter what you are told at MOM, and I can assure you, that I have also been shown how to circumvent rules in MOM, and it is illegal and i refused to do it the way what was suggested.

So if you do find that person, i suggest you get their signature to clear you. It can be done by your spouses work pass officer, who cleared is EP, as he does have the authority to clear you for employment because he has handled your spouse's case, or they can sponsor you becuase the LOC is tied to your spouse.

So I would enquire who cleared your spouse in the work division, and ask them to sign your LOC, as its tied to your spouse, the officer in charge of the family case can sign.

Does that make sense! But to sign yourself. Is just like me telling you to put your head in the oven....Ignorance or trying to say the MOM officer told me to sign it, will not get you out of trouble, if it says local sponsor to sign. Kapish

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 9:48 pm

lalancaster1 - pm'd you, sorry for the delay.

ksl - you do sign the LOC yourself, to be a sole proprietor. It's illogical and kind of ridiculous but that is how it's done. It is not illegal - this is what MOM wants for those on Dependent Passes to work this way. Their logic is that the hiring company (your company) should sign for the LOC just as if you were getting a full-time gig elsewhere. I know because I've done this and I know have a very legit LOC to work for myself.

lalancaster1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008

Thanks so much "Movingtospore!"

Postby lalancaster1 » Mon, 04 Oct 2010 10:19 pm

"Movingtosg," Your PM is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I will contact the lady at MOM tomorrow :) Thank you so much!!

By the way, I finally did get a call back from MOM and again, DIFFERENT information every time I call and talk to someone. This time, the lady at MOM told me I needed 5 more pieces of information on top of the the LOC. Now, keep in mind, the person I talked to who just filled out her own LOC and who was approved to work as a sole-proprietor just moved here in May. Do they just make this stuff up on the fly b/c this new sole-proprietor didn't send in any of this info!!? Who knows, but here's what I was told I needed in add to the LOC application I send in and it all will be typed using my business logo at the top of each page:
1) ACRA Business Profile
2) Detail Description of Job Duties
3) Venue where I will be performing job duties
4) Reasons why EntrePass is not applicable
5) Undertaking Letter- a letter stating that I will terminate all workings of the company should my DP be canceled.

Nothing was mentioned about writing my own LOC letter, but that will be the 6th item. I'll write that I'm employing myself, include my letterhead at the top and sign it.

Again, again, and again, THERE IS NO CONSISTENCY WITH THIS ISSUE AND IGNORANCE ABOUNDS WITH THE OPERATORS WHO ANSWER THE PHONES. Perhaps I'll type them a diagram with the question, "Are you opening your own business or a company?" Seriously, on top of training, they need a flow chart to follow so that they finally begin giving people the correct information.

To any of you reading this who may be in the same situation as me, know, there IS a difference between a Business and a Company! If you want to open your own business, you file for a Sole-Proprietorship. To do this, first, register the name with ACRA. Then, download the LOC form from MOM. I'm not sure if all the 5 of the documents listed above are really needed but I'm sending them anyway.

If you want to open a company, YOU NEED AN ENTREPASS!

Don't let the operators tell you you need an EntrePass if you want to open and run your own business. Just check out the descriptions on the MOM site for a distinction between "sole-proprietorship" and "company." That's their standard default recommendation-"You need an EntrePass"-they are CLUELESS!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests