Singapore Expats Forum

Gotta Love Irony

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Gotta Love Irony

Postby raden888 » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 1:42 pm

Hi All,

I found this news amusing...former Australian MP Pauline Hanson, known for he tough anti immigration stance has become an immigrant herself. She has decided to move to Great Britain. She is in for a shock, GBR has become more multi-cultural than Australia especially in the London area. I suppose she could move to a Cornish Village and enjoy pasties every other day. :lol:

People on the streets of GBR could say " Please go back to your country" :lol: While, she has English ancestry, she is Australian and not English.

The irony of life!

P.S.Hey I have always wondered, Do you say United Kingdom or Great Britain as the official union is United Kingdom of Great Britain?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: Gotta Love Irony

Postby QRM » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 1:54 pm

raden888 wrote:Hi All,

I found this news amusing...former Australian MP Pauline Hanson, known for he tough anti immigration stance has become an immigrant herself. She has decided to move to Great Britain. She is in for a shock, GBR has become more multi-cultural than Australia especially in the London area. I suppose she could move to a Cornish Village and enjoy pasties every other day. :lol:

People on the streets of GBR could say " Please go back to your country" :lol: While, she has English ancestry, she is Australian and not English.

The irony of life!

P.S.Hey I have always wondered, Do you say United Kingdom or Great Britain as the official union is United Kingdom of Great Britain?

I think the term "Great" Britain is a bit of an Irony now.

While the US band around the term "The most powerful country in the world" even they stop short of renaming the the USA the "The Great United States"

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 4:46 pm

You are right, but we DO tend to do that when talking about individual states of the union, like the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS or any other state when announcing a member of Congress or the Senate from that state.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: Gotta Love Irony

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 5:25 pm

raden888 wrote:P.S.Hey I have always wondered, Do you say United Kingdom or Great Britain as the official union is United Kingdom of Great Britain?

You're going back just over 300-yrs so I am sure a) Most people have forgotten what made them decide on that name and b) Times HAVE changed.

Technically you are half correct, the whole title is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 9:01 pm

Yep, the term GBR is ironic too :lol: Oh yea, forgot about NI....

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 1:33 pm

I do believe the use of the word "Great" wasn't as it naturally sounds but was hinting at just the merging of the Kingdoms, when the parliments of Scotland and England combined in, um, wait...... 1707 I think.

The use of "Great" then was only to indicate size not that maybe they felt sure of themselves.

My parents just landed from the UK a day or two ago and from what they tell me now....... Hansen is in for a rude awakening!