Singapore Expats

should she apply SPR under spouse or Employment Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
afx111

should she apply SPR under spouse or Employment Pass

Post by afx111 » Mon, 15 Feb 2010 9:47 pm

Hi all, I am a SPR, my wife and I ROM in singapore. My question is, she is currently working in Singapore is about to apply for SPR, should she apply as my spouse or as an employment pass holder? tks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:58 am

First question. What kind of visa was your wife working on?

If she was on a Work Permit, did you get permission from MOM to marry her BEFORE you got married? If she was on a work permit (not an employment pass) and you did not get permission from MOM, she will not be given PR regardless of how you apply.

With that out of the way, if you wife is currently on an Employment Pass (S through P1) Apply under the technical/skilled personel scheme but also note that she also qualifies under the family ties scheme as well. ICA will consider and ultimately use whichever one they deem the strongest case.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

afx111

Post by afx111 » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:11 am

my wife is working under a Q employment pass...does this mean we have to prepare 2 sets of application?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:31 pm

No. But when listing family members your spouse's residential status will be noted as a SPR which will then show two available means to look at your SPR.

Or you can apply using the family ties method, your status here will be shown as an EP holder so the reverse is true. In other words, you can actually use either as both "links" will show up. The application using the Technical Scheme is preferrable as the family ties, if you haven't been married for a couple of years, is a week link, but coupled with your own EP here, it then become an additional support.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

afx111

Post by afx111 » Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:57 pm

tks for your help!

alicialoy

Post by alicialoy » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:59 pm

Hi all,

I have a similar case here.. would appreciate if someone can assist ...

Some background info: My husband (married for 2 months) is a singaporean and myself is an EP holder working in singapore bout 2 years (myself - MAY be a civil servant soon).

two case scenarios here..

Case 1 (not civil servant): should i apply SPR as singaporean's spouse or as an EP holder? which would be easier to get approval? heard a lot who apply as EP holder got rejected... without reason...

Case 2 (civil servant): should i apply SPR as singaporean's spouse or as an EP holder? as a civil servant, would it beneficial the approval as compared to singaporean's spouse? (as form 4 does not ask to state your who is your employer)

Thanks in advance..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Mar 2010 1:27 pm

If you have been here on an EP for 2 years already and you are not a male (NS considerations) then you probably wouldn't have any problem whichever way you filed. Being a "potential" civil servant shouldn't enter into the equation at all.

jayzheng

SPR Dependent

Post by jayzheng » Mon, 10 May 2010 9:41 pm

Hi SundayMorningStaple,

I have a query and would appreciate if you can help.

Can I apply for a resale HDB if
1) I am a SPR.
2) My wife is a PR dependent.
3) We got married in overseas.

Thank You so much !

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 May 2010 12:16 am

Funny way of putting it, but I'm guessing then you wife is a PR based on her marriage to you. So to put it easily, she got her PR based on family ties rather the the PTS scheme. So, provided you qualify on any/all other points, yes, you and your SPR wife can buy an HDB Resale flat from the open market.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf ... enDocument

jayzheng

Post by jayzheng » Tue, 11 May 2010 12:38 am

Thank you so much for your reply !

My wife is not PR yet, she has this PR dependent 'pass', like a social pass thing for long visits.

I know that 2 SPRs are eligible to apply for a resale HDB, but my query is that my wife is not, yet, so can we apply first while my wife apply for her real PR ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 May 2010 12:40 am

No.

jayzheng

Post by jayzheng » Tue, 11 May 2010 12:46 am

Thanks, I guess she needs to apply for 'real' PR first ...

Thanks ALOT !

tomcat123

Post by tomcat123 » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 1:50 pm

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]Funny way of putting it, but I'm guessing then you wife is a PR based on her marriage to you. So to put it easily, she got her PR based on family ties rather the the PTS scheme. So, provided you qualify on any/all other points, yes, you and your SPR wife can buy an HDB Resale flat from the open market.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf ... enDocument[/quote]

how about if i have a property in Malaysia?
can i still allow to buy a re-sale flat with public scheme- open market?
Please advice.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 2:16 pm

tomcat123 wrote: how about if i have a property in Malaysia?
can i still allow to buy a re-sale flat with public scheme- open market?
Please advice.
Under the revised laws, NO !